Regarding map generation

Hey folks i was just curius im taking a look at the kickstarter version of the game and im quite impressed to say the least i can see a diamond being cut and shaped. but one thing stabbed me in the eye its that every mission i participated in happend on the same map i remember Xcom´s most promising feature being random map generation is this just this demo that acts this way or hasn´t random map gen been implimented yet? also Do aliens do "terror" missions where they inhabit a larger map. anyways i closed the game and intend to play it once it has been finished keep up the good work.

I think the game needs it's FAQ updating as this is a common question.

Random Map Generation code works fine. It's just lacking the actual submap content, so the game really only has one thing to chose from in most cases.

There's also only 3 types of map (themes) in the game currently: Farm and Industrial for the normal maps, and Town for the terror mission.

The next update (when the KS finishes), should contain more submaps for more variation according to Chris.

I actually like the current system. It keeps the maps somewhat similar while still mixing things up. Sure, the UFO will always be in the same place and the LZ looks the same, but it's not UFO: Alien Invasion where the aliens always spawn at the same place and the maps are exactly the same.

Xenonauts - 1

UFO: AI - 0

EDIT: What I said might well change come more submaps, but even so it has the Racoon Stamp of Approval :cool:

I actually like the current system. It keeps the maps somewhat similar while still mixing things up. Sure, the UFO will always be in the same place and the LZ looks the same, but it's not UFO: Alien Invasion where the aliens always spawn at the same place and the maps are exactly the same.

Xenonauts - 1

EDIT: What I said might well change come more submaps, but even so it has the Racoon Stamp of Approval :cool:

Just because it's better than absolute garbage doesn't make it acceptable. It's an alpha, so I'm okay with it, but if it would stay in the shape it is in (which it certainly wont), I'd withdraw my pledge real fast :P

Xenonauts - 1

Umm, that isn't true :P UFO: Alien Invasion pulls maps from pool of maps based on theme.(for example, if you have mountain cabin map and you restart battle, you might sometimes get different mountain cabin map or same map but different locations for aliens and your starting vehicle. Or exact same map) Sometimes those set maps have same layout, but different enemy placement or different starting location for your troops and such. So that is actually untrue.

Aka, UFO: AI doesn't have random maps, but it has so large pool of maps(and variations of them) that you don't often get same unless certain map type only has one variation :P

Also Kaguya, is you forgive Xenonauts for being alpha, then why is UFO: AI garbage for being beta and open source development? :P

Also Kaguya, is you forgive Xenonauts for being alpha, then why is UFO: AI garbage for being beta and open source development? :P

I'd mostly blame the Quake II-era 3D graphics. Unless they have some serious overhaul coming to that, it'll remain garbage :P

(granted, I haven't played it in quite a while, but I don't recall particularily liking it. Going with the awkward-era 3D graphics certainly didn't help.)

Edited by Kaguya

I have no problem playing Dwarf Fortress. :P

The graphic style they just have going for it is (was?) from that era between the real nice sprites, and the 3D tech maturing enough to look tolerable. Lowpoly, low res textures and such. :P

Without tilesets? :P

Anyway, on UFO: Alien Invasion, if you ask me its great game, its problems comes from mostly the fact its not done yet. I mean, at the moment it has only four aliens which gets kind of repetitive fast, but it takes XCOM formula and adds lots of stuff to it. Plus detailed research entries!

Edited by XenoMask

There's no decent looking tileset, plus they all seem to make names have trees on them. So no. :P

Anyways, giving UFO:AI another try. Probably won't amount to much since EU remains the best game of it's type (for now, Xeno looks and feels promising tho). Stupid nostalgia goggles :b

Edited by Kaguya

I don't see anything inherently wrong in old 3d graphics :P Plus like I said, it did have visual overhaul on lighting at least(seriously, its shiny now ._. Taman's crest on their red suits now glows for some reason and energy weapon blasts are also shinier. Heck, game got surprisingly much faster in last update for some reason)

And the fact you play DF without tilesets is admirable *high five*

Anyhoo, if you will always see original as best, I can see why you might not like UFO: AI.

Then again, my favourite XCOM game is apocalypse(its also the one I hold nostalgia from childhood) so I can honestly say that no XCOM clone does what Apocalypse did xD

Edited by XenoMask

wow, talk of :P inflation ^^

to make my comment less spam-y so I can walk away with a clear conscience: the main problem I have with UFO:AI's engine is that it doesn't allow for destroyable terrain. It's not even that this isn't possible in 3D games (Silent Storm did it), but it's just a really bad engine by today's standards.

And the AI was terribly simplistic the last time I played it. At least with that they are on par with the current build of Xenonauts ^^

XenoMask: I've lost count of the times I've played +scout crash, with three aliens spawning at the exact same places. But, since of 2.4 they did add quite a few new maps (love the Ferry one). My point was that UFO: AI has no random map generation, it just picks one map from a pool of maps.

And yes, it did get alot more shiny. I just wonder when they'll move the campaign forward though. Isn't it about time, I mean it's been pretty much the same since I started (two or three versions back methinks).

Kaguya: Why is the Xenonauts system not acceptable? Sure there are only three maps around for now, but more are on the way, and probably more submaps with it. I'm pretty fond of the system, and I do think it'll make the maps feel less tedious (hell, I've not gotten tired of the three ones in the KS demo yet).

But as the say goes; whatever maintains your vessel's buoyancy :P

Yeaaaah, some maps are pretty common, but there are some ones which have multiple variations :P

They are probably planning to add more aliens or something first. No final mission to complete the game before that I guess.

I'm not sure how far campaigns go at the moment, but from what I know, at some point you should be getting human enemies infected by the virus... So I guess campaign proceeds based on research? *shrugs* I have no idea, but it does slowly, during my playthrough in old version I never saw any aliens beyond Ortnok

Well, the game ends once you successfully attack an alien base as of now. But new aliens would be nice, kinda tiring killing Tamans all over the place. What happened to those lizard like dudes anyway? Sheevan? I remember them being around during my first playthrough, but never seen one since that.

Ortnok are annoying though, with medium armour they're basically a walking tank :o

I dunno, but they are still in game.

But yeah, files on official site imply that at some point aliens start infecting population with XIV virus and you need to figure out cure and mentions humans working for aliens because of the virus. Is that yet implemented in game?

Kaguya: Why is the Xenonauts system not acceptable? Sure there are only three maps around for now, but more are on the way, and probably more submaps with it. I'm pretty fond of the system, and I do think it'll make the maps feel less tedious (hell, I've not gotten tired of the three ones in the KS demo yet).

Keyword being if it stays the way it is. If they'd seriously sail to release with just the maps it currently had, it'd be really terrible. No way that'll happen, but as it is, it's not much.

XenoMask, as far as I know the infected humans aren't in the game yet, not gotten very far to be honest, progression is slow and I've begun playing Xenonauts and X-COM again so not much happening. But I've never seen it in-game, only on their site.

Kaguya: Not sure I understand you (could be me not being the brightest bloke on the block though). You're saying that the issue lies with there not being enough maps in the game? I'm pretty sure Chris said somewhere that'd there be alot more maps in the final release if that's what you mean.