Mod Hosting

kabill

So it's, err, been a long time.  I've been summoned by someone asking about mod availability on the site.  Looking at the downloads tab, it looks like all the mods got wiped at some point.  Is there a particular rationale for that?  Although they're all available through Steam Workshop, it would be nice for there to be space where folks without a Steam version of the game can download them too.  But I don't want to start uploading things if they were wiped with a specific purpose.  So advice welcome.

1 hour ago, kabill said:

So it's, err, been a long time.  I've been summoned by someone asking about mod availability on the site.  Looking at the downloads tab, it looks like all the mods got wiped at some point.  Is there a particular rationale for that?  Although they're all available through Steam Workshop, it would be nice for there to be space where folks without a Steam version of the game can download them too.  But I don't want to start uploading things if they were wiped with a specific purpose.  So advice welcome.

Kabill you alive? Nice to see you!..

About mods.. i think most of the useful mods are already inside X-CE. Others are mostly outdated by the base game and X-CE versions, so they would bring more problems and questions to new comers. I think the best option is, if there is mods which works fine with final version of the X-CE, it should be inside X-CE. As the X-Division development finally finished, there is nothing left for Solver to have a headache and X-CE project finished too.

Every mod should be checked but it would be time consuming too. Most of the good mods are from specific people like you, so if there is mods which works, i think you can talk about it with @Solver to add them to X-CE as an option rather then making a special mod server. Funny part is, mod servers got always problems if they are just for one game. For that reason there is Modb and Nexus. Even openxcom, which is created for modding too, do not have a working mod server because the old server owner vanished.

Goldhawk can make a server but as i said, if the mods got problems with final version, it will bring much more problems at least for Xe-1.

4 hours ago, kabill said:

Mods got deleted during a forum update, but all the original data is still on @Solvers servers, eg. only the publications got deleted, not the entries themself. During that time Solver deviced a plan to automatically reinstatet original entries, but that "automatic" method included a lot of manual work on Solvers part, so it never got realised. I dont think this will change in the future and Solver will be happy if the community takes action to reupload their own mods where they deem it to be useful.

Thanks folks :)  Seems like I should be ok to re-upload stuff then.  I do remember the forum update, and thought things were being migrated, but guess I missed that not finally happening (it does explain why people were bothering me about the Armour Resource Pack on Steam).

About mods.. i think most of the useful mods are already inside X-CE. Others are mostly outdated by the base game and X-CE versions, so they would bring more problems and questions to new comers. I think the best option is, if there is mods which works fine with final version of the X-CE, it should be inside X-CE.

Maybe.  Some folks might not want to use XCE for some reason, so having them available elsewhere is not a terrible thing.  But I have no issue with them being bundled as well (is that still a thing?  I remember some bundling at one point but I thought it got reversed later.  But maybe not.  It's been a long time.)

As the X-Division development finally finished.

I'm genuinely in awe of the fact that you finished building this.  It seemed to be so very big, what you were making, that finishing it would be an impossible task.  So well done!

• Like 1

Kabil - if you have the original files to simply re-upload for the Armour Resource Pack and Fire in the Hole, that would be absolutely excellent!

Also, very good to see you. You're one of the absolutely top contributors to the Xenonauts community with your excellent work.

1 hour ago, Solver said:

Kabil - if you have the original files to simply re-upload for the Armour Resource Pack and Fire in the Hole, that would be absolutely excellent!

Is there still a limit on the maximum upload size?  I remember when the Armour Resource Pack was originally uploaded, you had to do something special to make it work because the file was so big (~1gb).

In any case, I think I should have all the original files.  I recently migrated computers, and so I need to extract them from my old machine.  But they should still be there.  I'll see if I have time to sort it over the weekend.

Also, very good to see you. You're one of the absolutely top contributors to the Xenonauts community with your excellent work.

I am apparently experiencing all the nostalgia feels right now.  Who knew I missed kicking about here quite so much?

That's good to know, thanks.

And of course, looking forward to your Xenonauts 2 mods... wink wink :)

I don't have a PhD to be skiving off from any more, so I wouldn't hold your breath :P

(But I did spend a lot of my limited free time this year writing sadly more or less redundant mods for Stellaris, so you never know!)