Anyone know how to deal with Reapers when they appear on your first terror mission?

Long story short, my crew got decked. Reapers just destroyed everyone and overwhelmed me and i had to evacuate with 2 people left. Is there a good strategy when dealing with these things aside from going "Suffer not the xeno to live" and fire rockets and throw grenades until i run out or they die. I normally try to overwatch crawl with 2 troops watching each angle and kill civvies if they could be turned. Reapers are my bane of my life so any tips would be great.

Firstly, Reapers exclusively pair up with Sebillians so if you have the building that lets you determine what aliens are in a UFO you can just shoot those down and never have to deal with them. 

Secondly, Reapers can't fly, so you can take a line from X-Com 1 and have Vultures and Sentinels. (Vulture armour tends to be pretty crappy, though). 

Thirdly, you get a penalty for killing civvies, but the penalty is is small so feel free to kill 100 innocents rather than let 1 heretic live. 

6 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

Thirdly, you get a penalty for killing civvies, but the penalty is is small so feel free to kill 100 innocents rather than let 1 heretic live. 

That is just evil ... one more good reason the penalty for friendly killing civilians in X-Division got an 300% increase in the penalty ... just saying.

Aliens can't kill humanity if you do it first taps head. I only really purge innocents as a last resort or if they are too close, i just nuke em both since it's not worth saving one random when one of my troops could get killed if i miss. No damage like collateral damage. 

---
Some additional tips (alongside some repetition):
- Avoid indoors and any other narrow places always until you have 100% confirmed all reapers being dead.
-- And indeed stay outdoors and try to move in a "square / phalanx"-formation without having any blind-spot alongside having enough time-units left for reaction-shots / overwatch
(naturally the more time-units you have left once ending the turn, the higher chance to actually taking a reaction-shot is)

Worry little about the by-standers (both civilians and the local-armed-forced); if they refuse run to you for the safety, then it is all on them; mission-success with the least amount of collateral and corporal / bodily-damage is far more important.

Oh, and one more important thing:
"Gas" the whole map!
Leave no spot un-gassed: This forces the all the gas-stun'able units to stop camping alongside might also help "herding" mobs moving through specific passages or otherwise waste their time-units.

Here is one (classic) image showing one (foolish) Reaper who ended up getting stun-baton'ed:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=814382459

B3C5AACB899820EDB1032C11C1AE07D7E704391D

---
---
---

Edited by Pave

Another hint (not really helpful with the initial rush on terror missions, though):

- exploit the fact that you can hear when somebody get killed by a reaper and when a new reaper hatches. Let's say that there are 3 reapers at the beginning of the mission (if they didn't die in the crash). Count all the dead and look at stains of gore on the ground (another evidence to zombification (red blood) and mutation (corpse)).

Edited by Rodmar18