Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter completed!

After thirty days of the Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter campaign, things have come to an end - and we've raised £191,107 (approx. $250,000) from our £50,000 target! We've raised 60% more than we did for Xenonauts 1 back in 2012, and importantly we did so without committing to any physical rewards... so in reality we've probably doubled the effective useful revenue compared to last time.

I feel like that's a pretty impressive result for us - before the Kickstarter began we genuinely weren't even sure if we'd be able to hit our £50,000 goal, and even assuming that things went well I wasn't expecting us to go above £150,000! It's been really great to see the total go so high, and it's also been a major boost to read the many nice messages from people who enjoyed the first game and wanted to express their enthusiasm for the next one.

I've written this post because I wanted to say a big thank you to everyone on the forum for helping us achieve that goal. Many of you have helped directly by pledging to the Kickstarter, but collectively you've also provided a lot of useful feedback and support as we moved towards the Kickstarter. All that really does mean a lot to us, and the fact the Kickstarter has done so well means that we can now take more time to read your thoughts and suggestions and polish up Xenonauts-2 into something properly special. 

So thanks for all your help - it's been a hell of a ride! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!

From what I see, this time your game is turn-based. This time you made a game, not just a copy of the original game which was some ridiculous mix of turn-based game with a pause, forward...mini real-time arcade plane game. You said this time you make your vision how the game must be, not just a copy. Maybe this is why your kickastart campaign is so successful. I hope the Geoscape will remain turn-based. I hope the air combat will be turn-based or auto-resolved. There is no room for real-time mini stupid arcade games implemented in to a serious game. This was a mistake in early nineties and it was mistake to copy it in xenonauts 1. But anyway. This time you made a game (I hope).

Rosen, Bulgaria

Edited by Rosen84

And something interesting:

Julion Gollop (original xcom's "father") is here in Bulgaria and is making a game wtih cheap programers, "phoenix point" or something like that. The same stupid mistakes, now in 3D... Like an old ignorant lady who thinks 3D is "modern" and is the key improvement to his 25 years old bullshi...aaghhhh  game.  So, now gollop is no "father", it's more like a grandmother.

Rosen, Bulgaria

Edited by Rosen84

I am exalted to see that the funding went so well, even though the stretch goals wasn't exactly my preference (and we were only £10.000 away from unlocking the next one!).

I have to say though, regarding the first post. I actually quite liked the interception system in the first game. I'd love to see something similar, perhaps not exactly the same, but as I've read you've got something planned already so I will see how that works soon enough.

Congratulations, you guys work hard and there are a lot of people who are passionate about the type of game Xenonauts 2 is looking to become! You deserve the success you've gotten.

On 7/20/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rosen84 said:

Congratulations!

From what I see, this time your game is turn-based. This time you made a game, not just a copy of the original game which was some ridiculous mix of turn-based game with a pause, forward...mini real-time arcade plane game. You said this time you make your vision how the game must be, not just a copy. Maybe this is why your kickastart campaign is so successful. I hope the Geoscape will remain turn-based. I hope the air combat will be turn-based or auto-resolved. There is no room for real-time mini stupid arcade games implemented in to a serious game. This was a mistake in early nineties and it was mistake to copy it in xenonauts 1. But anyway. This time you made a game (I hope).

Rosen, Bulgaria

Thanks. Yes, the air combat is indeed turn-based now ... but you're probably not going to like the news that we're moving back to a realtime Geoscape; we tried the turn-based for a long time and it just wasn't as enjoyable as the realtime one. A longer explanation is in this thread: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/forum/31-xenonauts-2-features/

I suspect that means that Xenonauts-2 will not be a game you want to play, but at least you found out about that before you bought the game.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, Rosen84 said:

And something interesting:

Julion Gollop (original xcom's "father") is here in Bulgaria and is making a game wtih cheap programers, "phoenix point" or something like that. The same stupid mistakes, now in 3D... Like an old ignorant lady who thinks 3D is "modern" and is the key improvement to his 25 years old bullshi...aaghhhh  game.  So, now gollop is no "father", it's more like a grandmother.

Rosen, Bulgaria

I couldn't really disagree more.  The Phoenix Point game is shaping up quite nicely and is really interesting to me, which is why I'm also backing it in Early Access.  They've already added the first of the vehicles, the Armadillo.  Not only does it come with its own MG on top and a good deal of weapon-absorbing armor, you can also run over the smaller aliens with it, store your excess gear inside, put anywhere from 1 to all 4 of your squad mates in it, destroy about 1/4 of the structures on the map with it, and even ram the Queen Alien boss with the thing (although that last idea isn't always such a bright one ...)  Grenade and rocket attacks do a pretty wildly randomized degree of damage on the creatures you hit them with, bullets actually 'riddle' the structures they impact with, you can place smaller, robotic turrets on the ground now to help shoot at enemy's that wander within their field of view ... it seems to have a lot going for it, and it's only on the 2nd Backer Build atm.   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Im trying to work out whats going on in the department of keys for backers, But it seems the demo is alive and well on gog galaxy client which i might just do and get, but people where on Ks asking about the key and survey, but like you said in an update that you can not give out keys still EA edition goes live ? i think is strange considering I have games that i play on steam that are not even live right now. But they do change there policy quite a lot.

So Are Keys delayed because steams new ruling ?

And will you push an update for those that need that info when it comes about you can release them ?

I HOPE to GOD you haven't done the same mistake as game one with Millions of files and are now trying to compile them in one big file ?

That´s right Max. Like Chris said, the Early Acces will start first in 2019, because there will be much corrections / chances in the Beta Phase for the Game and new / missing things will come in. So the Betatest will be running for a long time (4 Months minimum). First the Game must be stable and the most big missing things have to be build in as well as tested before the Game can go to the Early Acces State.

If not, we all know what will be happen. We can see it by the most big Publishers / Game Dev Studios like EA which are bringing out misserable or bad Games since mid 2000. Because they think the big Betatest isn´t needed. Then they try to fix the Bugs with some big / small Patches and sometimes with 1 or 2 DLC´s.

And the Game Dev Studios which are saying we make a middle to big Betatest bring out a middleclass or good game. The second Option is the Best, Publishers / Game Devs could have today (like Paradox with the Hearts of Iron Games, Firaxis with the new XCom Series or Sega with the Motorsport Manager) and get the Optimum from Modders. :o

The Best Devs however are the indepentend like Goldhawk, because they can set the time for Tests and official Versions themselfs. :)