Request for Medals or Ribbon cabinet for soldiers

Any chance we can add Medals or Ribbons for the characters? I think this was awesome in some of the older XCOM games and none of the newer ones brought it back correctly. I think it makes you more immersed into your characters. Anyone agree? I think maybe something simple like ribbon for 5 kills etc. Or some crazy hard to get medals like survived 25 missions with 5 HP left but still made it. 

6 minutes ago, prolasis said:

survived 25 missions with 5 HP left but still made it. 

Whoa, I think an achievement on that scale would merit a whole new hat.

What about scars for soldiers who don't learn to duck?

Or loss of hair for those who get caught in EM blasts.

On 7/17/2018 at 5:30 PM, prolasis said:

Any chance we can add Medals or Ribbons for the characters? I think this was awesome in some of the older XCOM games and none of the newer ones brought it back correctly. I think it makes you more immersed into your characters. Anyone agree? I think maybe something simple like ribbon for 5 kills etc. Or some crazy hard to get medals like survived 25 missions with 5 HP left but still made it. 

Did you know that Xenonauts 1 already had medals for the soldiers? Something similar will be making a return in the sequel, although they're not yet implemented.

• Like 1

Medals and ribbons are all to great, for parades after the action, but if they added some benefit to the soldier that has acquired them, this would more colour to the game.

They could add more morale, or specialized skills for equipment and weapons!

As in X1 medals for various actions, as per number of enemy kills, and or certain operations completed.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:39 PM, Ruggerman said:

Medals and ribbons are all to great, for parades after the action, but if they added some benefit to the soldier that has acquired them, this would more colour to the game.

They could add more morale, or specialized skills for equipment and weapons!

As in X1 medals for various actions, as per number of enemy kills, and or certain operations completed.

Yeah, this potentially becomes a game balance issue then (which is why they just affected Bravery, which kinda made sense to me) - if you shoot 5 aliens dead and get a medal that makes your soldier more accurate, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Although admittedly XCOM did it and it was kinda cool (although you had to choose which soldiers you gave the medals to and not everyone could have one).

I'm actually quite torn between it being better for soldiers to earn medals through specific achievements, or for you as the 'commander' to pin the medals on them at your own choice. The former makes it a bit of a grind but the latter kinda devalues the medal if you just use it for the boost.

Maybe something in between, where you unlock a medal for a particular mission and then assign it to the soldier you favour most. Or that the medal has a bonus based on the soldier's recent activity - so if you give it to them when they've just gone Rambo on a mothership then they get more +stats than if you give it to the rookie who was just holding the spare ammo.

As I have stated in the past, service ribbons, and medals, at great for showing others that you are a valuable member of the team, that is in belonging to one, but it should also be an indication of the level of proficiency that a soldier has achieved in any craft that he has trained in.

9 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

it should also be an indication of the level of proficiency that a soldier has achieved in any craft that he has trained in

I like this. But for the game, what would that service ribbon / medal do? If it gave a stat boost, you'd be giving a soldier a stat boost on top of them already getting good stats (proficiency). Maybe that is not so bad, say, the ribbons confer bonuses to stats you can't otherwise train (e.g. bravery in X1). The medals don't have to do anything, but I'd much rather have them than rank given that the game has no implementation of chain of command.

IMO the medal system in X1 is pretty much the best it could be. It's like a mini achievement system for each soldier, that while giving a small bonus, isn't something that you're forced to grind to play optimally. It adds more flavor then anything else. I'd like to see it expanded a bit with maybe some more harder to get ones, like 5 kills in a single mission, or weapon class (snipers, shotguns, pistols) specific medals.

As a side note, I know the memorial wall was a CE feature, but if it makes a return in X2 in the base game it would be nice to see any medals earned by soldiers displayed by their name.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:00 AM, Warfrog said:

IMO the medal system in X1 is pretty much the best it could be. It's like a mini achievement system for each soldier, that while giving a small bonus, isn't something that you're forced to grind to play optimally. It adds more flavor then anything else. I'd like to see it expanded a bit with maybe some more harder to get ones, like 5 kills in a single mission, or weapon class (snipers, shotguns, pistols) specific medals.

As a side note, I know the memorial wall was a CE feature, but if it makes a return in X2 in the base game it would be nice to see any medals earned by soldiers displayed by their name.

Yep I loved the system in X1, I just didn't like the fact that not only were some of them way too situational but you have no idea how to earn them without looking them up elsewhere.

Edited by endersblade