Witch subtitle would be the best for Xenonauts 2? Discussion and a poll

Witch subtitle would be the best for Xenonauts 2?   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Witch subtitle would be the best in your opinion?

• Strategic Planetary Defence Simulator
    • Alien Infiltration
    • Threat From Beyond
    • Terror From Space
    • Enemy Hidden

A good subtitle may turn out to be an important factor from the marketing point of view. I think it should be catchy and suggest what can players expect from the game. The subtitle on KS may be good as a first sentence of the description but it's too long for small pictures on sites like GOG and Steam.

Backers shared a few proposals in comments on Kickstarter. There can't be too many to choose from, so I picked only four. My favurite is one of them and two remind of classic XCOM games. The fifth is KS subtitle.

I don't know if I can add anything later but if you think something else would be a better choice, we could add it or even make another poll.

Well, to begin with, I think the poll could include "none" option as well. ;) Anyway, my favourite would be "Xenonauts 2: Alien Turn", putting the emphasis both on "next step" meaning of the game and for some degree on its turn-based core legacy. Not to mention direct quote from titles we all know so well. ;)

Edited by Darmorque

Rather than call it "Xenonauts 2" since it is in fact a reboot, it could be "Xenonauts: From the Shadows", since this connotes the alien puppet masters working in the shadowS, and the Xenonauts themselves operating from the shadows rather than engaging in open war (initially).

Honestly, it seems like no one wants this game to sell good.

I mean I made some point there in my first post but no one made any counter argument.

I have only one comment. Games for geeks don't sell.

• Haha 1

I didn't vote for the first proposal, although it fitted to Xenonauts-1 quite well. Imo, a planetary defence situation should be more global, covering several aspects than Xenonauts-2 is not deemed to cover, if I understand well the game's setting. Not to say that any kind of defence seems to require an ongoing attack. This time, I feel like such a title can be quite misdirecting, and thus could generate grievance for new players.

I mean that assaulting the Death Star with a Millennium Falcon and a squad of samurais is not what I'd call a planetary defence situation, even after a planet-wide, covert struggle that lasted some month. If you allow me the parallel, I would rather see a planetary defence being closer to Eisenhower planing for Neptune-Overlord and Anvil/Dragoon operations, except that the enemy would be space-born and attack the whole planet. Perhaps Xenonauts 2: Planetary Guerrilla could fit?

Hm... the Story don´t change from the first Xenonauts (and the integrated Storybook there were very nice to read), but in Xenonauts 2 you get more information as well as an more detailed story. And what we heard from the Developers the Aliens have infiltrated us already incl. humans are working for them.

So the Titel I would chose from the voting sytem are only 2 possible: Alien Infiltration and Enemy Hidden

The Second sounds the best, because we already have enemys under us which are working in the shadow and hidden against us.

None of those options sound very witchy to me honestly. Maybe something like Xenonauts 2: Magic Reborn or perhaps Arcane Surprise or maybe even Xenonauts 2: Bet You Didn't Expect Mana Bars Did You?

In all seriousness though the original title is best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Textaddons for Xenonauts 2 Enemy Hidden and Alien Infiltration are the Best for the Story that is known to us now. We don´t handle only a alien Fleet in Orbit anymore like in the Predecessor. The Aliens are on the earth in the Story, which have humans who help them to hold the atomic warstatus.

We could steal the Title from XCom: Enemy Within but Firaxis wouldn´t be pleased about it.

So the best Titles for Xenonauts 2 are a little bit chanced from Original:

-Xenonauts 2: the hidden enemy

-Xenonnauts 2: the already begun Alien Infiltration

Edited by Alienkiller

• 2 weeks later...

Xenonauts 2: Before the Fall

I liked how the X-COM 2 scenario as we failed at X-Com 1.. I don't know that Chris wants a 3. game but if we will have a series, i think the name should be changed totally because it's not so nice to have a remake as a second game and making a 3. one as the next... it's confusing.. i would like to see other xenonauts with other scenarios.. it could be like saving earth again or conquering mars or going underwater.. but for that we need to have a proper name for the first game as a series. So i still think we need to have a proper name for a force.. Xenonauts is a name of a job like any -nauts.. i mean astronauts got NASA for example..

X-Shield : Xenonauts ...could be a good example as a new game fo a series too.. I should open a topic about that..

In the above thread, @drages suggested not only a different name for the game, but the force itself could be renamed.

I honestly don't think it should be called Xe2.  We have been referring to it as that in these discussions to differentiate it from Xe1, but if it's a reboot and not an actual sequel, then just calling it Xenonauts: [enter subtitle], with a different subtitle that reflects the new focus the devs are taking with this game compared to the first (like my example of "Xenonauts: Secret War") would be better.

In that thread, @Sheepy even suggested something as simple as "Xenonauts 3D"

Edited by RustyNayle