Why aren't my guys taking opportunity fire?

I'll have three, maybe four guys all set up, crouched, 100% of their TU, the aliens pop out, shoot them, leave.  AND NOT ONE OF MY GUYS TAKES A SHOT. 

What's the deal with this?   If my troops won't shoot what good are they?  

Probably because their reflex score is too low. In vanilla, even the most basic Caesans have a reflex score of 50. If they're armed with pistols or alien shotguns that's multiplied by another 50%. To train reflex so it's a usable value, you have to equip soldiers with pistols when taking overwatch. Pistols and shotguns grant a 50% bonus to reflex so it's more likely they'll take a shot. The way reflex is calculated for overwatch is (reflex * % TU remaining) * reaction modifier of weapon. 

Wow.  That can't be real?   Your guys only do reflex shots when armed with shotguns (short range only) and pistols (basically useless).    So riflemen or snipers are useless?   

Is there a mod to give your troops more reflex?  

There are some things you could do. The reaction modifier of most weapons is set to 1. You could set the reaction modifier of each human weapon in weapons_gc.xml to a higher value so a solider has a better chance of getting off a shot. If you're using CE, I know it's possible to mod armour to adjust stats, but I'm out of practice so I wouldn't know off-hand to know how to help.  You could change how quickly it takes to train reflex, or you could adjust enemy reflex values in aiprops.xml. I think the easiest thing to do would be to adjust the reaction modifier for weapons as you can fine-tune that to satisfy your needs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 6:57 PM, ls35a said:

Wow.  That can't be real?   Your guys only do reflex shots when armed with shotguns (short range only) and pistols (basically useless).    So riflemen or snipers are useless?   

I think what you are missing is that you can only reflex shoot when within your weapon range. You can check this by manually targeting and checking the green range of your weapon. If enemies appear in your green range your soldiers should be able to react.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2018 at 6:57 PM, ls35a said:

No, you only train your guys with fast action weapons. When they get trained enough or when you recruit already fast guys, then reflex shots may occur with sniper rifles and LMGs, as you would expect. This should be close to reality enough. Reflex shots are not like overwatch stance in other games, even with 100% TUs. Just don't recruit too much slow troops, or they will serve as heavy weapon platforms and mules forever.

Edited by Rodmar18

• 3 months later...