Melee weapons?

Will Xenonauts be able to use any melee weapons besides stun batons? In Terror From The Deep there were things like vibro blade or thermal lances which dealt a lot of damage with small time unit cost, the obvious tradeoff was getting close to the enemy. Such weapons would come in handy while breaching UFOs or in narrow corridors and would make ground combat more intense than just picking off ETs from the distance.

I wasn't planning on it, but we *are* trying to expand the tech tree and weapon options - and creating a couple of melee weapons isn't going to be much trouble. So yeah, I'll put it on our to-do list and hopefully we'll get round to adding them before the game ships :)

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2018 at 12:36 AM, Fabe said:

maybe allow for pistol whipping or hitting aliens with the butt of a rifle?

It would be not so practical to butt an alien but more melee weapons with advanced versions could be used in game.. at least modders can use that animations for their own weapons.. a sword (with power versions), knife and something more scifi would be good addition..

19 hours ago, Ruggerman said:

As the weapons that are being used in this game, like the AK47, m16 armalite  and Self loading Rifles, all come with bayonets.

That could be a good start for a melee weapon??  

The thread was about melee-only weapons like the Stun Baton... not the melee of firearms :P
Plus, Xenonauts 1 had melee for all weapons (but it was obviously bad and used exclusively as utility... such as breaking windows), so, i doubt they haven't already planned a similar feature for Xenonauts 2.

However considering Weapons and Armor will be modular, adding a Bayonet module (and maybe an alien alloy or shock upgrade) to improve a weapon's melee capabilities is actually a really good idea, i'm totally in for that!

Edited by Kyo21943