Is the Xenonauts 2 Earth flat?

I do fully well realize that I am likely the only person obsessing over stuff like this, but can we please get a round earth for Xeno2? I don't necessarily mean in the actual visual representation, but in the mechanisms. It really annoys me somehow that, in X1, a base with a radar dish close to one of the poles covers way less "real" ground than it should, and aircraft and aliens fly slower there than at the equator.

The "correct" shape of a radar near one of the poles on a flat map would be kinda ridiculous though, if you think about it - the circle would run all the way along the bottom of the map.

There might be a way to bring more realism into it in X2 though, for instance that is less of a problem if you have the radar coverage be specific the Geoscape region rather than on the bases - because then they're not circles and won't be covering the poles, etc.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

The "correct" shape of a radar near one of the poles on a flat map would be kinda ridiculous though, if you think about it - the circle would run all the way along the bottom of the map.

Yeah, but that ridiculous appearance is just because of the skew the Mercator projection introduces in flat maps, and because we are used to our flat maps. A correct radar coverage would mean thought that Canada and the USSR would not be as ridiculously hard to cover as they are in X1. Still hard, but not that badly.

There might be a way to bring more realism into it in X2 though, for instance that is less of a problem if you have the radar coverage be specific the Geoscape region rather than on the bases - because then they're not circles and won't be covering the poles, etc. 

That's right for coverage. What about aircraft speeds and trajectories?

27 minutes ago, Dagar said:

What about aircraft speeds and trajectories?

Pretty sure X2 would be using a turn-based strategy layer where UFO appears at start of turn and you decide which squad to send to intercept which, turning speed and range into a  hard interception chance rather than real-time cat and mouse.

1 minute ago, Sheepy said:

Pretty sure X2 would be using a turn-based strategy layer where UFO appears at start of turn and you decide which squad to send to intercept which, turning speed and range into a  hard interception chance rather than real-time cat and mouse. 

Ah yeah, forgot about that one. Then it really is not an issue (if it ever was one for anyone but me).

• 1 year later...

I created an account solely to say this:

I really like the art style and mechanics of the game. The old school feels, no game changing 1 click abilities .. and so on. Everything

Except the globe. It itches me so much that it was the only reason I never got into Xenonauts 1 and it is still the same with X 2.

Really quite unfortunate.