Chris

Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter Stretch Goals

22 hours ago, Sheepy said:

1. Try UFO Afterlight. 11 years ago and it already shows your weapon mods in 3D, both in inventory and on the field.

2. UFO AL had a partial implementation (limited to enemy and all effects temporary); snipe head for autocrit, snipe hand for accuracy, leg for prone etc.
    Also locational injury of Phoenix Point is already working and a big part of the game.

Edit: I remember that good old X-COM also had locations. But I can't remember whether they have additional effects beyond damage calculation. Does that count as locational injury?

In the original X-COM, while you couldn't specifically target any location, they did have affects on you.  Here's a good site showing what happens:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Fatal_Wounds

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, Chris said:

Locational Injuries & Medical Care

I'm not certain what it is that I dislike about these systems.

Metal Gear Solid 3 has what many consider to be the coolest of them with self-surgery cure thing. There are loads of unique injuries that each have a specific effect on the player (such as limping or more wobbly aim) and a more generalized effect on your health bar. And yet.. It's boring. It's a slightly more complicated X-Com:UFO where, instead of selecting a region pressing a button, you maybe press four buttons and use up something from a pool of a dozen or so resources. I think it's the most complicated, most in-depth battlefield injury and cure system to ever grace the gaming world and yet it's still boring.

Even the codifer (among video games, tabletop has been doing it since GRUPS) Fallout has a system that.. Fallout 1, it didn't work. You just applied your doctor skill to yourself and presto, button solvo! Fallout 3 and New Vegas did a bit better, at least in the early game, because you had to manage doctor's bags and stimpacks. But even then, the only interesting mechanic there was resource management. Has nothing to do with limbs and locational injuries at all. You have VATS so you could aim for the eyes and hopefully not have to worry about that sniper for a few more seconds but in practice you're always aiming to deal the most damage and kill whoever your aiming at to begin with. In order to actually have that be interesting, you'd need to face someone who can survive multiple rounds along with a few other enemies such that you can use the system as a plug-in-play strategy...

Wait. This is why Phoenix Point is interesting, isn't it?

I'll have to look into that game at some point. I've mostly stayed away because it's never showed off why the geoscape is interesting, but I digress..

The only locational injury system I've ever had fun with was, surprisingly, in an American football game called Blitz: The League. Set in a world where tackling someone with the express purpose of breaking their ribs and puncturing their lungs doesn't incur a penalty, you would aim to knock out the opponent's best players while keeping your own best safe so they didn't have to spend weeks or months in the hospital (or even lose them permanently if you didn't have some upgrades.)

The point being that locational injury for the player is only interesting if you can do something to prevent it. Blitz makes you want your worse off players to carry the ball when the other guy's injury-causing-bar is full so you don't risk someone important. Locational injury for the enemy is only interesting if you have a reason to hurt someone rather than killing them outright. Otherwise, it's just the difference between aiming for the highest DPS location or the location you're most likely to actually hit.

Perhaps this is how modular armor can fit in. Leg armor decreases mobility while reducing the chances of someone getting their legs broke. Arm armor would be good for those carrying two handed weapons. Head armor for those who's aim is their most important stat. Each one could slightly decrease the associated stat it protects. A long-term short-term trade off of risks. The biggest issue there is having it not be a tedious implementation and making a player actually want to leave as much unarmored as they could stand.

• Like 1

Damn, I got all excited, I went to the kickstarter page and it said $200k.  I was like, congrats on unlocking goal 5!  But then I realized that on this computer it is converted to US dollars lol.

Regardless if you guys hit the 200k/250k etc marks in the next 6 or so days, I really think you should still aim to work on the rest of the goals.  Weather, reaper hives, anything that adds more gameplay or ambience would be wonderful.  Just release it in a patch down the road, or toss it into a DLC.

We all hope that more Founding Money for the Game is comming in. In the last 2 Days the 2 Day Backers get 2 more 500 Bucks and 10 more 200 Bucks Foundings open. So I think some of allready Backers will grap this or the 12 additional high Foundings will graped as in the first 24 Hours.

But we will see.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:02 AM, ApolloZani said:

I'm not certain what it is that I dislike about these systems.

Metal Gear Solid 3 has what many consider to be the coolest of them with self-surgery cure thing. There are loads of unique injuries that each have a specific effect on the player (such as limping or more wobbly aim) and a more generalized effect on your health bar. And yet.. It's boring. It's a slightly more complicated X-Com:UFO where, instead of selecting a region pressing a button, you maybe press four buttons and use up something from a pool of a dozen or so resources. I think it's the most complicated, most in-depth battlefield injury and cure system to ever grace the gaming world and yet it's still boring.

Even the codifer (among video games, tabletop has been doing it since GRUPS) Fallout has a system that.. Fallout 1, it didn't work. You just applied your doctor skill to yourself and presto, button solvo! Fallout 3 and New Vegas did a bit better, at least in the early game, because you had to manage doctor's bags and stimpacks. But even then, the only interesting mechanic there was resource management. Has nothing to do with limbs and locational injuries at all. You have VATS so you could aim for the eyes and hopefully not have to worry about that sniper for a few more seconds but in practice you're always aiming to deal the most damage and kill whoever your aiming at to begin with. In order to actually have that be interesting, you'd need to face someone who can survive multiple rounds along with a few other enemies such that you can use the system as a plug-in-play strategy...

Wait. This is why Phoenix Point is interesting, isn't it?

I'll have to look into that game at some point. I've mostly stayed away because it's never showed off why the geoscape is interesting, but I digress..

The only locational injury system I've ever had fun with was, surprisingly, in an American football game called Blitz: The League. Set in a world where tackling someone with the express purpose of breaking their ribs and puncturing their lungs doesn't incur a penalty, you would aim to knock out the opponent's best players while keeping your own best safe so they didn't have to spend weeks or months in the hospital (or even lose them permanently if you didn't have some upgrades.)

The point being that locational injury for the player is only interesting if you can do something to prevent it. Blitz makes you want your worse off players to carry the ball when the other guy's injury-causing-bar is full so you don't risk someone important. Locational injury for the enemy is only interesting if you have a reason to hurt someone rather than killing them outright. Otherwise, it's just the difference between aiming for the highest DPS location or the location you're most likely to actually hit.

Perhaps this is how modular armor can fit in. Leg armor decreases mobility while reducing the chances of someone getting their legs broke. Arm armor would be good for those carrying two handed weapons. Head armor for those who's aim is their most important stat. Each one could slightly decrease the associated stat it protects. A long-term short-term trade off of risks. The biggest issue there is having it not be a tedious implementation and making a player actually want to leave as much unarmored as they could stand.

Hmmm, the way I read it was that you don't choose target points, but at certain thresholds of damage you get a chance for a random location like eyes, ribs, and legs to suffer a injury.

If you played Dragon Age origins, whenever a party member is knocked out, they suffer a wound that cause dtat penalties, similar thing here.

10 hours ago, Wolfshield said:

If you played Dragon Age origins, whenever a party member is knocked out, they suffer a wound that cause dtat penalties, similar thing here.

Yeah, but I still find that pretty boring. While I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins, I have played a fair number of cRPGs using the same system. It's interesting because it makes you want to keep your party members from falling in battle unnecessarily because you'll have to use resources to recover them. It's still mostly interesting on a resource management side of things rather than gameplay. That's not to say X2 can make an interesting way of managing it, with medical facilities, focused physical therapy, technologies like exo-suits and stemcell treatments to mitigate the injuries, but I don't know how to make them fun and cool on the battlefield itself.

Disappointed the orchestral recording faired so badly in the voting, that would probably be really cool. Maybe you'll decide to do it anyway.

• Sad 1

@DrazharLn I was hoping the same thing. I mean, I like democracy and voting etc but can't everyone just vote the same way as me...

• Haha 1

The first thing was to integrate the missing Points from first Xenonauts:

- the now unlocked things as well as the new feature which is replacing the canceld things from Xenonauts 1

- if I could vote (but I couldn´t about the sh..... Googlething and woulnd´t about it) i had voted for the Ochestra as 5th Goal

- Moddingsupport had normaly set after the Weathersituations and Rieper Hives, because the last 2 Things give the Game more action

But it is what it is now, and Chris said on Kickstarter that if the Early Acces Sells goes well we will get more of the Stretch Goals from Kickstater later.

In my Opionon it will be: Weahtersituations, Rieper Hives and extended Modding Support; if we get lucky a better Music and Soundtrack too

23 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

The first thing was to integrate the missing Points from first Xenonauts:

- the now unlocked things as well as the new feature which is replacing the canceld things from Xenonauts 1

- if I could vote (but I couldn´t about the sh..... Googlething and woulnd´t about it) i had voted for the Ochestra as 5th Goal

- Moddingsupport had normaly set after the Weathersituations and Rieper Hives, because the last 2 Things give the Game more action

But it is what it is now, and Chris said on Kickstarter that if the Early Acces Sells goes well we will get more of the Stretch Goals from Kickstater later.

In my Opionon it will be: Weahtersituations, Rieper Hives and extended Modding Support; if we get lucky a better Music and Soundtrack too

As the game got more solid engine and the devs are much more pro, i think this game could have 2 good DLC/Expansion in future, and those can bring cool additions like that Weather situations and reaper Hives..

Do not underestimate modding support, because with proper tools supported by devs, would open the doors for original game quality mods even DLC sized ones from modders.. more support will bring more pro modders into the game like 3D modellers, animators, script writers.. and with those you can have much more creative choices you can imagine. If you look to X-1 and it's mods, you can see the huge different and additions..

As Chris said somewhere, there is people who jumps on mods before the base game and others who does not even touch to mods.. BUT at everyday, much more PC gamers start to check mods and use them. 

As i always say: "Mods make games immortal.." If a game is not very well replayable, it won't survive on it's own so long.. this is a rule of the marketting. But a game with good mod support always have someone cares for it.. and if a game does not die, it lives with it's devs name behind it and even it does not add to sales much after years, it will bring hype for the next products.. Even a little mod can make someone to replay it.

I hope we got the modding support or Chris can unlock it even it's not finished (as it's more then half pledged now)..

Maybe you get the full modding support, if the Money raises like the last 4 Days to the Stretch Goal in the last 24 Hour-Kickstarter-Programm. Only 20.000 Bucks are missing to the Goal.

To be honest I think they were a bit too ambitious with the stretch goal marks.  The last few jump up in £50,000 increments, while the ones before that are £25,000.  If it continued that way instead, we would've hit all of the stretch goals and been half way to goal #7.

13 hours ago, endersblade said:

To be honest I think they were a bit too ambitious with the stretch goal marks.  The last few jump up in £50,000 increments, while the ones before that are £25,000.  If it continued that way instead, we would've hit all of the stretch goals and been half way to goal #7.

Chris said with the funding they already have access to from the original sales of Xenonauts, they had the resources to fund a few of them already, they just wanted people to vote towards which ones to emphasise.  It's a general guide as to what they will try and focus on, it's not like throwing money at something automatically makes it happen, they can't be sure how much time it will take to make each thing work in a balanced way, but the more people vote for something, the more pledges there are, they what to prioritise, etc

Posted (edited)

i REALLY hope orchestral soundtrack makes it into the game

i mean look at frostpunk, beutifull music especially when the storm approaches

Edited by jevry

Geoscape situations

Any NPC encountered during a ground mission (or only during briefing/debriefing), or related during a Geoscape situation interaction could be named and reminded. They would help building the national resistance/intelligence network, and they would be accounted for your diplomatic missions (when you send operatives on covert operations). I mean that if you helped or saved 2 local officials, one minister and a firm, and fought off a terror attack on one city, this could result in more than just diplomatic score (and material instant reward). One can even figures that a local militia decides to give you a hand during a ground mission because you helped it a few month ago. Then, you start the mission with some allied soldiers, or a ammunition depot near your landing zone (of course, this implies that the local militia is aware of this mission).

So what stretch goals are funded now?  If anything is unfunded, will there be another kickstarter to back them up?

From what I understood, the met stretch goals are guaranteed to be in the game. The other stretch goals will either be "met if possible", provided there is time and money available, or will be "somewhat met", which means it will be included in the game but with only basic functionality.