Shallow depth in landcombat

If the weapons would determent the viewcone you have there would be at least some kind of interesting choices to make how to equip your solders and how to position them on the battlefield. So with a sniper gun you have a small viewcone that reach further and with a shotty you see wide but not that far.

I would have given hunker down a small view penalty too as how it is now its just wrong to end your turn standing.

With shallow I didn't mean bad BTW but I would have thought that people who like games like Xcom would love to see more tactical combat depth but maybe im wrong.

Having a scope glued to the eye wouldn't mean that the game is deeper either. I figure that the aiming and actuating times are included in the TUs needed to shoot with a weapon. In this game, a sniper doesn't benefit from having a teammate who give him directions. He has to choose a target, aim at it (narrowing his view cone if you like), shoot at it, and then assert the situation again in the same turn. Adjusting the vision cones as regard to the current action would mean segmenting the TU pool even more: either you'd aim, shoot, crouch, or make a few steps, etc. A middle path has to be chosen.

Another thing to consider is the tile based nature of the world. Small changes to vision cones can generate some really bizarre situations where you cannot see some places you would assume you could. Narrow cones are the worst, especially if you can only turn your character in 45 degree increments. There will be areas right in front of you that you will NEVER be able to see despite there being no logical reason why that would be the case.

• Like 1

Yes you got a good point Gauddlike , I was more thinking like how it works in Ja2 where you can ready your weapon, so while walking you have the normal viewcone.

There are 2 good feelings while you do land combat and 1 of them is finding the allien. Xeno1 didnt do much with that other then nightbattles.

But not only how spotting works I think the whole combat system is way to basic and feels lazy and uncreative. Your fighting alliens for godsake, the defs can comeup with what ever they want...

Maybe it isnt lazy and uncreative but a choice to keep it as basic as possible thats why I asked that in my first post.