Sign in to follow this  
020Tom020

Shallow depth in landcombat

Is there a reason why landcombat is so shallow as it is? And why cant you strafe in the first game? This is beyond me and to taunt me even more there are shields in the game.... Still like the game , I just picked it up for free at GOG.

There isnt much going on other then LOS and hit chances. Where I feel LOS is the weakest worked out mechanic while being it the most important factor to win the battle.

Edited by 020Tom020

I'd love to have a separate deathmatch game mode. Online would be amazing, but I would gladly take a simple hot seat system as well.

Edit: oops, wrong thread

Edited by Skitso

If the weapons would determent the viewcone you have there would be at least some kind of interesting choices to make how to equip your solders and how to position them on the battlefield. So with a sniper gun you have a small viewcone that reach further and with a shotty you see wide but not that far.

I would have given hunker down a small view penalty too as how it is now its just wrong to end your turn standing.

With shallow I didn't mean bad BTW but I would have thought that people who like games like Xcom would love to see more tactical combat depth but maybe im wrong.

Having a scope glued to the eye wouldn't mean that the game is deeper either. I figure that the aiming and actuating times are included in the TUs needed to shoot with a weapon. In this game, a sniper doesn't benefit from having a teammate who give him directions. He has to choose a target, aim at it (narrowing his view cone if you like), shoot at it, and then assert the situation again in the same turn. Adjusting the vision cones as regard to the current action would mean segmenting the TU pool even more: either you'd aim, shoot, crouch, or make a few steps, etc. A middle path has to be chosen.