Does anyone else think a multiplayer would make XN more fun?

Just imagine it: You're defending a town from a terror attack, half of your units are dead, and then a new dropship comes in with reinforcements from a different organization which are being controlled by your friend or some random person. Or instead they don't send reinforcements and are instead trying to become more of a force than you for a more competitive style of multiplayer. And of course, another way of doing multiplayer is a versus mode where one player manages the Xenonauts and the other player manages the aliens. The aliens would have two ways to win: annihilate all life on Earth, or achieve whatever the aliens in XN1 were trying to do (not sure 'cause I didn't get that far yet). This would allow players like me who prefer playing with friends in the same game and not separate to be able to do just that, play with their friends in a situation where we can screw each other.

I thought many times about XCOM (in that matter Xenonauts)- like multiplayer game/mode... But the truth is... it's impossible in it's actual state. X-es have both real-time and turns... I can't imagine how it could look like if you are in ground turn-based combat while I'm in the same game on geoscape with real time... So I see 2 possible solutions:

- Like in new XCOM - Ground Combat in multiplayer where you are assembling your dream-team and fight with other ppl or AI.

- Brand new game, mostly focused on PVE where players are humans and are fighting all over globe against alien invaders. Whole idea is much more complicated and it's not place to put it so if anyone is interrested in XCOM/Xeno-like MMO I can send it in PW or e-mail...

19 hours ago, Chris said:

It'd definitely be cool if that could happen, but it's a huge amount of work even if there was a straightforward way to design it (e.g. what do you do when the other player is doing a mission you're not involved in)?

Answering your question, there is one way to solve this situation but it will change gameplay DRAMATICLY. First of all, game should have removed time boost option on geoscape (to avaid situation where ground combat lasts for 2 in-game months, for example) because all players must be synchronized in game time. Also, ground combat MUST be played IN REAL TIME with limited combat time, lets say 5 minutes (eventually game could allow active pause but no longer than 2 minutes per whole combat so battle should take max 7 minutes).

It's risky and controversional, I know, but nothing better I can tell you for now about it.

Edited by MrFler
correction

Separate deathmatch about turn-based combat is easiest way to make multiplayer in Xenonauts... There is even a standalone game like this on Steam... also Firaxis XCOM have same option... And alowing ppl to play in hot seat mode would be great addition...

To be frank, I'd much rather Chris and his team focus on completing the game before even bothering with multiplayer, most games I see that add multiplayer around this stage of development typically end up with a dead game after release. 

However, in regards to MP, I think allowing two players to each have a base of their own on the planet and them working together to stop the alien threat. Or, you can also have one of the players *be* the aliens with their objective being the eradication of the human player (while the human player would have the objective of eradicating the alien player) 

On 6/13/2018 at 7:46 AM, Skitso said:

I'd love to have a separate deathmatch game mode. Online would be amazing, but I would gladly take a simple hot seat system as well.

Yeah, I think a hotseat humans v. aliens ground battle would be fun!

We used to "play" this way on x-com.  Kill all aliens but stunned one, then divide the soldiers in teams... and hunt each other down! Not the way it was supposed to be done, but fun.