Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.35 (and 0.35.1)

Well, the file looks okay. I re-test it locally on my machine:

solver@spooky:/mnt/win_d/xenogit/repo/xce-package$ md5sum xce-035.zip 
51f267f2cb44692a0211e239bd986b99  xce-035.zip
solver@spooky:/mnt/win_d/xenogit/repo/xce-package$ 7z t xce-035.zip | tail -8
Testing     Xenonauts_gc_editor.exe

Everything is Ok

Folders: 3178
Files: 39864
Size:       333980662
Compressed: 221868829

It seems to me your computer doesn't like the file for some reason. 

Check the downloads section again - I've also added a 7z compressed version, xce-035.7z with the same contents. Perhaps you get better results with that?

I have no idea how anyone could even get 0.34.1 on Linux. There are no working Linux Steam branches, only the vanilla game works on Linux Steam properly as far as I know, and I usually recommend a manual installation and Wine.

Same here. Game launcher uses Wine but all the game files and mods are stored under the "Steam for Linux" or Steam OS tree, not under any Wine prefix tree (as in case I had manually installed a non-Steam, Windows version of the game, or if I had ran Steam for Windows with Wine), and those files are Windows typed. Problem that I have is that subscribing mods on Steam doesn't work (they are never downloaded). I have to manually download the mods I want to play with, and put them into './.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Xenonauts/assets/mods' (all my Steam games, whether Windows or Linux versions, are stored under './.steam/steam/steamapps/common', by the way).

Is there any people at Steam who can be asked to "backport" any update on Steam for Windows to Steam for Linux?

Huh so it works differently since the last time I tried. I'll take a stab at setting the Linux branch to 0.35 too. I'm a heavy Linux user and would like that myself.

Fascinating that the Steam tool for actually uploading files to Steam is still only available for Windows.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:29 PM, Solver said:

It seems to me your computer doesn't like the file for some reason. 

Check the downloads section again - I've also added a 7z compressed version, xce-035.7z with the same contents. Perhaps you get better results with that? 

Thanks!

For any reason my computer didn't like the other format. In 7z it worked good. In addition, the 7z file is smaller than the other. I am now trying these mods, getting adapted for the new features (the change in the vehicle weapons, per example).

18 minutes ago, Cristian said:

Thanks!

For any reason my computer didn't like the other format. In 7z it worked good. In addition, the 7z file is smaller than the other. I am now trying these mods, getting adapted for the new features (the change in the vehicle weapons, per example).

Happy to hear it! The 7zip file is smaller, yes, that's because 7z compression is significantly better. Some people may not know what to do with them though so I usually offer a zip. So, strange that you couldn't extract that zip file, but good that it's working properly now.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, Gilteca said:

Hey! Can someone plz record a video talking how to install the xce version for gog? I couldnt understand just by reading

The install on the GOG version is identical to the Steam one. I play on GOG's one.

So I am using GOG version on Ubuntu 17.10. I did all as instructed but it doesn't look like the mod was applied. There is no CE on upper right of the launcher. The files need to be extracted to /GOG Games/Xenonauts/  Right? Also the game has no sound and crashes after only few minutes. Can somebody offer some advice?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another thing that can be done with the GOG version, and what I personally prefer to do with an install. Extract XCE into a subdirectory under the main, and then copy steam_api.dll and the assets directory into there, and then XCE should run fine. I've only recently remembered having to do this myself, and I prefer it because I don't want to alter the primary installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the new psionics system supposed to be active in vanilla XCE?  I can find the variable in gameconfig.xml in the main XCE folder, which is set to use the old system according to the documentation on it.  But I can't find an alternative setting in either the balance or settings XCE folders.  I might be missing it somewhere though?

2 hours ago, Solver said:

I think I screwed up the xcebalance in 0.35 somewhat, there's an issue with Reapers, and now this setting is missing...

Oops!  For what it's worth, I've been playing with the setting activated this afternoon and it makes a noticeable difference for the better.

38 minutes ago, Fox said:

can anyone tell(modding question) - how to add new UFOs to the game itself?

Not really the tread for this but, in short, it can't without a large amount of work as you would need to make maps for GC missions to support them.  If you didn't want them to be able to spawn GC missions (a la fighters and bombers) then that's a lot easier.  But you'd need to rework the UFO missions to include the new UFOs you've added, as well as adding in the stats for the UFO in aircraft.xml.  Maybe some other things too?  Has been a long time.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:58 PM, kabill said:

Not really the tread for this but, in short, it can't without a large amount of work as you would need to make maps for GC missions to support them.  If you didn't want them to be able to spawn GC missions (a la fighters and bombers) then that's a lot easier.  But you'd need to rework the UFO missions to include the new UFOs you've added, as well as adding in the stats for the UFO in aircraft.xml.  Maybe some other things too?  Has been a long time.

Is it possible to not draw a map, and take the type available? I did so (on version 1.09), but I did not can load the mission map with a new UFO.

15 minutes ago, Fox said:

Is it possible to not draw a map, and take the type available? I did so (on version 1.09), but I did not can load the mission map with a new UFO.

Can I suggest you open a new thread in one of the modding forums?  Better to do it there than clutter this thread with something not linked to XCE.  (I can't promise to be useful mind.  It's a long time since I did any serious modding of Xenonauts and I only vaguely remember the details of how you might do this).

On 8/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, Fox said:

You're the guy making a buggy mod, on top of a buggy version of the game and a reworked Xenophobia pack. For over a year now on two websites, you've encouraged people to use broken versions of the game. You're doing all of that on pirated copies of the game, you don't even know if your mod works on the official version, and since a month ago you've been asking people to send you money to help with this piece of crap.

You're not quite doing any harm, but with the complete disrespect you've been showing toward's developers and other modders (and hell, even the TV shows inspiring your mod), I won't be spending any time helping your efforts.