Xenonauts: Community Edition 0.35 (and 0.35.1)

4 hours ago, Solver said:

You're the guy making a buggy mod, on top of a buggy version of the game and a reworked Xenophobia pack. For over a year now on two websites, you've encouraged people to use broken versions of the game. You're doing all of that on pirated copies of the game, you don't even know if your mod works on the official version, and since a month ago you've been asking people to send you money to help with this piece of crap.

You're not quite doing any harm, but with the complete disrespect you've been showing toward's developers and other modders (and hell, even the TV shows inspiring your mod), I won't be spending any time helping your efforts.

not true!

Edited by Fox

• 11 months later...

So this is a couple of months overdue probably, but here's a small announcement. Given the current status of Xenonauts, and of X:CE, I currently have no plans to release additional versions of X:CE. The possibility is still there for other people to work on X:CE, but from my perspective X:CE 0.35 will likely remain the final version.

• 2 months later...

made a few change to building.xlm and gameconfig, to fit the values of Building and salaries overhaul (this nice mod is unusable cause it seem causing annoying bug during base defense missions) whose, in my opinion, work better and are more lore friendly

of course.. keep a backup of the original file.

gameconfig.xml

buildings.xml

Edited by Zaramorte

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, although it's possible to download the files from the forum, would it be possible to have an update for Steam OS on linux as well?

I made sure the only XCE option was still selected in the betas, after a leave, just made a file integrity check, and the launcher displays "Xenonauts Community Edition 0.34.1 UNOFFICIAL". All files are dated of 2018.01.20. The same as two years ago. What am I doing wrong here?

Else, who would have to be contacted at Steam by the lambda player to beg them to please synchronize with their Windows version?

Thanks for trying.

I have another problem, also with Steam OS, and their resolution tool seems to redirect me to the "game designers", or GoldHawk Interactive.

I am unable to download and install mods that I subscribed on Steam Workshop. All the mods that I run have been downloaded from this forum and installed manually in the /assets/mods directory. Do you know if this could be caused by a bad port of the game launcher from Steam for Windows to Steam OS (and Steam is not responsible for this)? Steam OS seems to download (or try and download) the subscribed mods, but I can't find them anywhere, neither in assets/folder nor in steam/steamapps/workshop, nor in some Wine directory. At least, I couldn't so far. No Xenonaut workshop folder is created, etc. I just ask in case you have heard of this problem before.

Saying that, I realize that Steam should still be responsible for granting access to the mods it proposes in its workshop, regardless of whether GoldHawk Inc.'s launcher works correctly on Steam OS or not. I'll take my chances and try to contact them.

I'm sure we had this discussion before (like 2 years ago). :)

Actually, the game runs through Wine 32 bits. I don't know what Steam OS is for, except that the game was installed by Steam in  their /.local/share/steam/steamapps/common/xenonauts folder, on behalf of other games that are ran through Steam OS, and that the usual Steam UI is proposed for the game (discussions, workshop, etc). Then I had to install Wine32 on my distribution (I only had Wine64). Steam OS doesn't manage this.

Whatever, I just found where my 10 subscribed mods were downloaded (a progress as compared to 2 years ago):

/.local/share/steam/userdata/300392794/ugc/referenced/         ... instead of the usual:

/.local/share/steam/steamapps/workshop/content/223830/       well, this folder doesn't exist but '223830' seems to be the app Id for Xenonauts.

So, in this 'referenced' folder, there are 10 mod folders, each one with a zip archive and a data.vdf file.

I guess that I just have to extract and install them manually in assets/mods.

However, I'm still asking Steam about this odd behaviour.

Edited by Rodmar18

Oh now I remember why I can't get X:CE uploaded to the Linux depot anymore. I can upload, I cannot specify different launchers per branch. The main Linux depot is a native port (of questionable quality), so it starts the binary directly. The X:CE branch would start wine (so a launcher script instead of the binary), and setting that up isn't possible without breaking the native launch command.

I'm in touch with Steam's support team.

For now, I got a type answer (I translate:)

I'm sorry but we don't offer any support for mods that are created by users, and a difference in the installation path may result from choices made by devs.

When you decide to use them, we suggest that you visit their web site [etc].

A good start then (^^).

I fear that X:CE is doomed to be considered as a mod for this purpose...

Well, isn't it considered as a beta branch as well?

Would you have any request (information, feature) I could transmit to them before I answer them?

Perhaps if the way X:CE is launched will prevent it from finding and managing Steam mods for ever, I could still request that Steam provides the bare minimum technical assistance so that X:CE/the launcher informs them of its existence, and they can detect it and create a proper deposit mod folder, where users can find them and manually install them? (as does any apprentice modder/translator with other games (AoW3, Stellaris in my case), well when mods aren't packaged in some arcane way (e.g. The Talos Principle)).

Edited by Rodmar18

Thank you for the effort! I'm afraid this is doomed though. For one, they didn't understand the question. User-created mods are fundamentally different from X:CE so answers for mods won't apply. The way we ended up using beta branches is also a hack, really, they're not quite intended for this, so it's logical that different launchers are not supported for branches.

I have my own contacts (and a Steam dev account) so that's not the problem - but at this time, even if there's a satisfying answer, I don't want to risk breaking things anymore by uploading something. In the worst case, I could end up breaking the main Linux branch. Too risky, and I no longer trust myself to even build a release of X:CE correctly. There are workarounds to run X:CE on Linux, I don't like them much, but I have no plans to make any more changes.

• 5 months later...

I just finished Xenonauts for the first time and thought I'd create this account just to thank everyone involved in making this mod (and of course the game! It was fun - flaws and all). It must take a lot of effort to do this, so: thank you for making the game more stable and enjoyable!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

With the end of development on X:CE, does that mean no one else will be able to continue work on it? I saw there used to be a community coder program, but the thread is many years old. Is there still the possibility of allowing others to continue work, or is it ending outright?

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine others could theoretically pick it up - if Chris approves - but it'd be quite a pain. One of the reasons why I wrapped up X:CE development is that I no longer have a machine capable of building the game. It uses some ancient technology (the engine had been abandoned before Xenonauts even released) and so there's "fun" stuff like it only compiling with MSVC 2008. But if somebody really wants to work on it...

On 4/12/2022 at 6:14 PM, Solver said:

I imagine others could theoretically pick it up - if Chris approves - but it'd be quite a pain. One of the reasons why I wrapped up X:CE development is that I no longer have a machine capable of building the game. It uses some ancient technology (the engine had been abandoned before Xenonauts even released) and so there's "fun" stuff like it only compiling with MSVC 2008. But if somebody really wants to work on it...

I'd hate to see development just die off. I'm sure if the source were public, more people would contribute and give a larger audience the ability to take up the mantle, if that is an option. Mods are still being developed, so there's still an interest in the game, and I bet modders would contribute to make the game more mod-friendly. I would've liked to contribute, but I don't have an interest in taking over for anyone, if that's what was implied.

Those are of course good points, but the source isn't public. That's not a decision I ever made, rather it's that Chris chose to release the source to specific people only, if they agree to certain conditions. I started X:CE from there, there was also the possibility of other people doing alternative source builds but that did not happen.

If Chris ever decides to make the Xenonauts source code completely public, I'll happily do the same with X:CE code on top. But I don't get to make decisions on Goldhawk's behalf - if you want to see the source be fully public as the ultimate ending to the community coder program, you'd have to talk to Chris!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, i have gog version of xenonauts, the only way i can get X:CE is from your site, i finished vanila game and wana try X division, but need X:CE first, can you pls repair download links, they only download file with 0kb and it stops, thanks for great game!

• 2 months later...