Questions about LoS, breaching, strength gain

Hello. I played Xenonauts on release and now I'm playing it again with CE. Currently on a Veteran Iron Man run.

I got a couple of questions that I can't seem to google the answers to.

LoS: It seems that aliens are seeing me before I see them. Some sources say this is normal and it was implemented to raise difficulty. After some good hours on my run I read a Steam about editing the Aliens' parameters. I went in and checked aiprops.xml and it seems that only the only aliens that has a sightRange higher than 18(soldier's range) are Wraiths(19), Reapers(20), and Praetors(20). It is strange that I'm getting sniped by Caesans and Sebillians early game where there's no Wraiths, Reapers, and Praetors. Is the CE using a different file settings?

Breaching UFOs: It seems that the CE added reactionfire when interacting with doors and teleporters. On doors I can manage with shields and maybe some pre-smoke but the teleporters are just brutal. You've no idea where the enemy is camping at the exit so bringing in a shield-bearer has very limited usefulness. I guess I'm more about asking tips how to properly breach large and massive ships. The game has a lot of RNG death, and now I have to roll another die when an above floor. Maybe there is a way to disable this CE feature?

Gaining Strength: A more direct question. Is there a way to edit the game files so soldiers wearing Predator armor can still level their STR? It's nothing major but I'd really like that STR gain on my soldiers!