Chris

Xenonauts-2: Ground Combat

On Night Operations

Night operations in X-Com-a-likes are unpleasant. Mostly because you can't see the alien, but the alien can see you! Generally, night ops tend to be avoided unless there's a big payoff (such as a large, landed UFO). I think that's a shame, as night ops add a spooky air to the game. Would it be possible to make night ops more favorable by adding suitable bonuses/maluses to aliens as well as soldiers? Take Sebillians for example. Their saurian nature might mean they have a strong diurnal cycle, preferring the hours of daylight so they are more fatigued at night, meaning they take a hit to their AP. Psyons might feel more psychologically uncomfortable at night, making them easier to panic. And so on, and so forth. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Max_Caine said:

Psyons might feel more psychologically uncomfortable at night, making them easier to panic.

If you could use panic as a weapon (not just a single target psi attack) I would buy the game twice. Using a tactic to spread panic through the enemy side would be amazing. Night raids on alien encampments. You suffer because you need to use flares to see what you're doing, but you gain from launching a terror strike of your own. Evil :D

• Like 1

How about night vision devices for humans tending to even the night battles.  Might even be a researched item to get improvements.  I like the panic idea...especially for non-combatant aliens.

Well, see, there's the thing. If you have equipment that makes night like day, then why bother having night in the first place? May as well make them all day missions. 

I really liked throwing flares around to give patches of light. Or torching fields to get huge fires going. It was a drag in that it made movement slower, and it was irritating because reapers, but it made for the best environment. Night vision goggles are the obvious thing to do, but as Max says, where is the fun in that. 

5 hours ago, Max_Caine said:

Well, see, there's the thing. If you have equipment that makes night like day, then why bother having night in the first place? May as well make them all day missions. 

Actually Night Vision Goggles (NVGs from here on out) could be used in a specific way without making them pointless.  Since every soldier has a specific cone of vision, which gets reduced at night, NVGs could bump it back up to normal, but make it narrower.  Like what wearing Predator armor did in X1, just narrows the cone of vision.  So it would be a matter of either being able to see in a 90° arc but only about 15 feet ahead, vs wearing the NVGs and seeing 30 feet ahead but in a 45° arc.  As an example.  With a narrower, longer cone, you could potentially go right past an alien, but with a wider, shorter cone, you run the risk of things just outside your view taking pot shots at you and running away.

And more still, fires/flares and the like have negative impacts on NVGs.  They flare up and make it impossible to see.  There could be some interaction between flares and fires with NVGs so that you really have to think about which you want to use, NVGs or regular vision and flares.

Edited by endersblade
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Max_Caine said:

Another reason is because it can be cool. Cue UFO's vision mode (Normal, Night, Infrared, Psi, and EM):

349819-ufoafterlight-1280x1024_q80.thumb.jpg.a8babf3dd4a6c4a8b55721b514b57248.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheepy said:

Another reason is because it can be cool. Cue UFO's vision mode (Normal, Night, Infrared, Psi, and EM):

349819-ufoafterlight-1280x1024_q80.thumb.jpg.a8babf3dd4a6c4a8b55721b514b57248.jpg

Oh man, I totally forgot that was a thing lol.

I think UFO: AL is one of my favorite clones.  I love the graphics, the quirky characters, modular equipment, it's just great.  Might have to go reinstall it now lol.

On collapsing buildings

I hope that being able to collapse multi-level buildings get into X2. In X1, there was something of a "now you see, now you don't" feel to collapsing a building. It was something that XCOM almost got right, with collapsing floors being a viable strategy to kill bad guys. What I really like to see is something like a multi-level building divided up into sections, and each section having key support walls that if you wreck those, it triggers a collapse of that section.

Hi,

i have an issue regarding the TU' and firing. In X1 the firing of a weapon was no fixed value but a percentile, so increasing the tus with level up only made soldiers move further and shoot or run further but not beeing able to shoot more precice or more often. (only in combination with movement)

Id ask to have fixed values or at least a max tu limit for said action. So in Vanilla X1 you had say 100 tus and need 40% for a single shot. you would always use 40% so firing 2 shots would leave you with 20 tus remaining. same action with a rookie starting at 40 tus he would fire 2 shots and have 8 tus remaining. 

So with my suggestion this would change to either fixed value of say 30 tus for a aimed shot (you had a much better reward for a high level soldier with 100 tus.)

or with a max limit you would need the 40% up to a max of say 30 tus.

this would also be good for modding because it is more versatile

Edit: i reinstalled xenonauts 1 and did some digging in the weapons tables. What can i say... there where fixed values.

Shooting a rifle costs a fixed amount of TUs (in game it varies slightly +-2 TUs) 

So just ignore this comment

Edited by Akogooth
Wrong information

44 minutes ago, Akogooth said:

Hi,

i have an issue regarding the TU' and firing. In X1 the firing of a weapon was no fixed value but a percentile, so increasing the tus with level up only made soldiers move further and shoot or run further but not beeing able to shoot more precice or more often. (only in combination with movement)

Id ask to have fixed values or at least a max tu limit for said action. So in Vanilla X1 you had say 100 tus and need 40% for a single shot. you would always use 40% so firing 2 shots would leave you with 20 tus remaining. same action with a rookie starting at 40 tus he would fire 2 shots and have 8 tus remaining. 

So with my suggestion this would change to either fixed value of say 30 tus for a aimed shot (you had a much better reward for a high level soldier with 100 tus.)

or with a max limit you would need the 40% up to a max of say 30 tus.

this would also be good for modding because it is more veratile.

Giving another shot chance is a huge advantage for player. Like your examples, if you give 1 more burst chance to a soldier, it will change the balance very aggressive. For the balance sake for both sides, you need to have something fixed at the calculation. So you can calculate a weapons possible damage output per turn, if you got fixed attack numbers. But without it, even a basic weapon could be OP and a powerful weapon would go out of control. BUT someone (another modder) could use it and balance it with his own way.

I think the point is to have a stat for moving/actions and a stat for firepower - with TUs being the former and accuracy being the latter. I don't know why stats have to be differentiated like that but it kinda makes sense.

Yes breaching UFO's, definately needed, rookies souls can now stop haunting and move on to the afterlife in peace.

As for missions, your turn counter reducing gains could be employed in an espionage type mission of a large ship or base, whereby you must gain technologies or alien plans (each reducing the panic in a region etc.) before the whole alien fleet returns to defend their epicentre.