Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Xenonauts-2: Soldiers

Posted (edited)

I have never seen a better Potrait Generator. You can make yourself like in a mirror. So I have modified my Soldier in some Points.

In Person only an expert Portrait Painter could do it so good. So quite only 62 People which backed get a Portrait and that needs a long time.

Edited by Alienkiller

Ha, the character I made in the PG looks almost nothing like me lol.  I futzed with it for over an hour and finally settled on something I could at least pass off.

Don't get me wrong, the PG is awesome, and I know there is no way for them to handle every single face shape, style, beard, eyes, etc.  I did what I could with what I had access to.  I didn't pay enough for a fully custom one from a picture, so I get what I paid for.  It will at least have my name and such, so I'm cool with that.

My char has an other Last Name and some light Face Modifikations. But the most Facethings are like my personal look (like the Glases). That´s the funny thing on this Face Generator.

What the Name belongs, there I have given the short first name of mine and the Last Name I have taken from my love Sci-Fi-Books (Dune the Desert Planet) :D. Fits perfect to the Game in my opinion.

for the discussion on potential advantages of single shot pistols vs. full auto pistols vs. shotguns etc. there is something called hyper velocity ammo that fires rounds at much higher speeds and thus more force. they tend to have cycling issues with some guns, so single shot guns (like pistols) could use hyper velocity rounds, while full auto pistols do not. this means roughly the same effective range, but more damage per hit. as for shotguns, they have much thinner barrels and thus would not use such powder for their ammo. while a bit of a stretch for real life (not all full auto have issues for hyper velocity ammo, and some could even be adjusted) it would give some justification to single shot only weapons have more damage per shot vs. burst weapons.

as for shotguns, one could for different ammo types (different slugs), or one could just use the real life 7 shots per squeeze of the trigger. this makes them fire faster (as long as they aren't pump action) round output over SMGs, due to a higher burst count (7 for each shot). they would lack single fire mode, and each round would have less accuracy and they would have longer reload times. this means that the further away the fight happens, or the longer the fight drags on the worse the shotgun, while the SMG would be able to mitigate some of its drawbacks.

so this make a pistol a close range high reaction weapon that you can use a shield with it that has a higher damage output for the ammo carried making it good for a sustained fight or fighting at ranges further away than intended. auto pistols are close range high reaction weapons that you can use a shield that does better the close the target is due to burst fire ability. SMGs are a high reaction weapon that can do mid range as well as close range fairly well, but you can't use a shield. shotguns are a high reaction close range weapon that gets better the closer the enemy is, and falls off much harder than the others at longer ranges, and it can't use a shield.

so auto pistols are fill the role of a shotgun, but is weaker due to the ability to use a shield, and a pistol fills the role of the SMG, but is weaker due to the ability to use a shield.

so for ranges it would be shotgun for the closest range weapon, then SMGs as they can partially bridge the gap between assault rifles and CQB. assault rifles are the mid range weapon, then LMGs for long, then sniper rifles for extreme.

2 hours ago, jamoecw said:

so single shot guns (like pistols) could use hyper velocity rounds, while full auto pistols do not

Surely you saw this one coming:

• Haha 1

The original post has now been updated to reflect the fact that the soldier inventory in Xenonauts-2 will now function much more like they did in the original Xenonauts (i.e. the backpack will now be present etc).

I had to double check several times to make sure I'm not crazy, but the original backpack size was 5x5 (25 units) not 4x5 (see the in game shot I posted in the older thread, I still keep counting to make sure I got this right, so if I'm hallucinating, I'll find out soon).

In any case with a secondary slot in addition to the new 3x6 (18 units) packpack should work out very similar (if 6 wide and 3 tall, or if weapons can be rotated 90 degrees), since a medkit in the secondary slot will add 6 units (18 backpack + 6 medkit in secondary slot = 24 units) or a weapon possibly 8 units (18 backpack + 8 heavy weapon in secondary slot = 26 units), although we lose a couple of units from the belt.

Overall, seems better than the original system proposed and I guess the fixed weight every soldier can carry will help balance around this, although I actually liked getting additional strength since I could tinker with the inventory again, however the converse did mean that I had modify a saved loadout for specific, especially weak soldiers. 

I was wondering in the prior thread how many weapon familiarities each soldier can learn, is there no limit, ie you can become level 3 Familiar with all weapons, or can you become familiar with a fixed number of weapons?

My grandest lethargy in the first installment (x1) is swapping in and out individual equipments for a soldier as and when you had built them,however I do appreciate the variety. Therefore for myself I would propose an alternate micromanagement system, with the interesting developments and evolutions you have made so far, hear this:-

A ghost squad/squadron is created in the itenary, the contents i.e. soldiers planes are kitted out with the equipment potentially available to be built/researched. One module of engineers/scientists/trainers are then allocated to this squad or squadron and will automatically endeavour to bring the squad to the required level, the engineers trainers can then also benefit from the familarity groundwork as well, also offering character bonuses individually to that squad.

Posted (edited)

I like the alien psionic power. It makes aliens more interesting and unique in comparison with other games. By removing the psionic, you make the game more stereotyped. However it's poorly designed in X1.
The main criteria of a tactical game is that your knowledge, your experience, your tactical thinking should influence the gameplay. So for example, your soldiers can start hallucinating on the first turn of a mission and kill one of your guys. It happened to me with me so many times (on Insane/Ironman) so I stopped playing the game after 210 hours of playing. Even if all of your soldiers have 65+ bravery, nothing changes. The psionic power is too unpredictable. The game developers say: "Each of your squad members has 65+ bravery? Let's kill one of them. It's fun!". No. It's actually not fun at all.
Psionics could be much better if you could somehow predict the consequences. For example, soldiers with 50+ moral points could be immune to heavy castes like mind control and hallucination. In this case, I could predict the next move of enemies and take action. One of your soldiers has low morale? I could drop his weapon and move away from him. Most of my soldiers have low morale? I could abandon the mission. I could also risk and continue the mission. In any case, it would be my choice. Games should a series of interesting decisions. The best decision you can make in X1 on Insane/Ironman is to abandon all missions with caesan leaders.

Edited by Marvel

Did you try the psionic mod for Xenonauts-1. Imo, it could be of interest if you could test it and return to post a possibly renewed opinion, or confirm this initial statement about psionics potential in Xenonauts-1.