Chris

Xenonauts-2: The Geoscape

On 5/7/2018 at 10:13 PM, Chris said:
On 4/30/2018 at 12:02 PM, Ninothree said:

I like this idea a lot; it's actually something I've been looking into myself for a bit. It does pose some balance problems but if I can figure out a way to work around it then it would be cool if you would generally only start shooting down UFOs in the mid-game (unless your building a whole strategy around downing a UFO in the early game). However if that's the case, the player needs an equivalent way to scavenge advanced equipment beyond just shooting up alien infiltration teams - I'm looking into having some small or semi-abandoned alien facilities on the map that you can seek out using your Field Agents.

If you're going to have big UFOs flying around from the start (like in the original XCOM) you should definitely include one of the most thrilling missions in that game: carefully waiting for one of those giants to touch down, pouncing it with your Skyranger, trying to drop one or two high-level aliens with advanced gear, and dragging their stuff back to the Skyranger before your entire party gets murdered so you can get a headstart on advanced technology.

It wasn't a very reliable way of doing things (or maybe even just a terrible idea) but in terms of "feeling the dread of being outgunned and outmatched" those missions were the best you could get.

Not every missions needs to end with all the aliens dead and the UFO scavenged; sometimes you just need the one tech-item snatched from a far superior enemy to "win".

• Like 3

Like we are really outgunned and scared this time, and don't act like in some cheap TV shows where Aliens are as dreadful as Cold War Russians, Vietcong warriors, or WW2 Germans (from a US point of view).