Chris

Xenonauts 2 Development Overview

1 hour ago, endersblade said:

Hell, TFTD was MY personal favorite because it was underwater, but nobody has bothered to do a clone of that one.

If anyone tried to release TFTD as a different game these days, they'd be met with pitchforks, and rightly so. TFTD is just the original game with different art. It retains the same gameplay exactly, with the same enemies by different names. Tentaculats are Chryssalids. Lobster Men are Mutons. Heavy Cruisers are Harvesters. These days decent mods change gameplay more than TFTD changed the original. In the 90s though it was acceptable and fairly common to re-release the same gameplay with different art or levels.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Solver said:

If anyone tried to release TFTD as a different game these days, they'd be met with pitchforks, and rightly so. TFTD is just the original game with different art. It retains the same gameplay exactly, with the same enemies by different names. Tentaculats are Chryssalids. Lobster Men are Mutons. Heavy Cruisers are Harvesters. These days decent mods change gameplay more than TFTD changed the original. In the 90s though it was acceptable and fairly common to re-release the same gameplay with different art or levels.

Exactly, that's why I liked it.  As I said, I enjoyed the underwater theme.  Don't care that it was just a reskinned version of the same game released in just 6 months from start to finish.  I prefer it over the original.  It's almost like people have different opinions or something.

Also, the common rumor is that the next XCOM game will be underwater.  One of the WotC endings leads on to it, plus the fact the last stage is actually underwater.  T'leth reference?  Who knows.  People like TFTD because the idea is different.  Aliens invade Earth from space all the time.  But from underwater?  That's awesome.  I was in the Navy for 8 years, I love the ocean and what's beneath it fascinates me much, much more than what's in outer space.

Edited by endersblade

Don't forget that Phoenix Point's story starts from the water too.  They had underwater mission as a stretch goal.  Re-texture aside, I think switching the game to sea is quite a brilliant move. Mission can happens anywhere, explains why your soldier can't see far, and why they can't shot accurately at all. (Either they are fighting under water, or they are using water weapons on land!)

I liked TFTD much more then the XCom because it had more "horror".. Xcom got more live colors and looks toony for that reason but at TFTD, it was serious.. Even the game was breaking all the physic laws, it never bothers me and many people who likes it.. if you try to do it at a realistic game design today, probably many people will laugh at it.. but it's a game and i would not have any problems, and some tech lore can help it.

If PP can do it as an expansion, it would be something huge step.. i don't think Fraxis can handle it if they don't change many game aspects. I mean PP got very realistic firing mechanic already and after that X-Com will look very lame, simple.. so i don't think they will have a 3. game to be honest..

Yeap TftD was a great game for it´s time. I have it on Steam in the Bundle with the other old X-Com Titels (Enemy Unknown, Apocalypse, Enforcer and Interceptor). In my Opinion it was the hardest Game of all old X-Com Games of that time, because it had the greatest Maps, the hardest enemys (like the Hummer human) and the hardest research Tree of all old X-Com Games. If you made in the Research a failure you lost the Game.

I was crying here so much, but for what you have I-Net. I looked for the correct Reaserch Part and played it again. Honestly I never made the End-Mission there, but I can do it if I´m wanna play it again. What makes my very very acid about it is the fact that the good things from the Demo (yes I played the Demo ervey time I had time in my schooltime) aren´t integradet in the final game, but the Codes for them are still there. So Open XCom did a upgrade to the first and second game (more Options, build in the missing things etc.). And for the Second Game there is a nice Mod to beginn a new Game to look how good the Old man is today. :p

But on other Hand there will come our new Game "Xenonatus 2" and Julian Gollopos new Game "Phoenix Point", so to beginn the good old X-Com again don´t make sense.

Classics will be classics forever. First xcom created a genre and now people tries to make it perfect. As a very old game, xcom got weak points. Openxcom and the mods for it (especially openxcom extended +, like our community addition) got covered nearly every options you want to have at your dream xcom game. But there is still limitations because of the engine like you need to watch every bullet fly and it's annoying if you got a heavy weapon with 10 shots per auto. 

If you can pass the visuals and some engine limitations, there is tons of mods there with crazy creativity for openxcom. You got even huge mods both xcom and tftd game play. 

One of the reasons of creating openxcom was modding, not only normal modding but scripting and manipulating core game code too as same as our community edition. The difference is xe 1 did not designed to be ultra mod friendly and even so we got community edition and mods of 10 GB size.. 

If xe 2 would be designed like openxcom, we can have our dream game for modders and players. Imagine a game with eight tools for every kind of modding and friendly for cummunity editors. 

Then we can make old xcom absolute for sure! 

Well you know that there's going to be X2:CE eventually. Given that X2 is far better from a technical perspective than X1, I expect that X2:CE will be able to accomplish even more interesting things for modders.

2 hours ago, Solver said:

Well you know that there's going to be X2:CE eventually. Given that X2 is far better from a technical perspective than X1, I expect that X2:CE will be able to accomplish even more interesting things for modders.

I have no doubt about it. I just write it here so people can know what we can here over the classics. I will make a big post about modding possibilities we can have for Xe-2. I will make a mix about openxcom/x-ce/other things we can add. 

People have been accusing me of dumbing down X-Com right from the very start of my work on the franchise - a LOT of people angrily told me that Xenonauts had become far too casual when we made ammo unlimited on the strategy layer, or we automatically rebuilt your interceptors after they got shot down so that getting one interception wrong didn't ruin your whole campaign. Funnily enough, I don't think I saw a single person comment negatively on either of those changes once the game was actually released.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but changes are frequently much bigger in your head than they actually are in the game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris said:

People have been accusing me of dumbing down X-Com right from the very start of my work on the franchise - a LOT of people angrily told me that Xenonauts had become far too casual when we made ammo unlimited on the strategy layer, or we automatically rebuilt your interceptors after they got shot down so that getting one interception wrong didn't ruin your whole campaign. Funnily enough, I don't think I saw a single person comment negatively on either of those changes once the game was actually released.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but changes are frequently much bigger in your head than they actually are in the game. 

I did not like unlimited ammo but as you said Xe-1 could handle it with having only one type of ammo for each weapon. So if you make a weapon more expansive to cover infinity ammo, it's done. BUT if you start to able to use different kind of ammo's, i would like to have some limiting here. Because if you create an ultra powerful alenium powered ballistic rounds for my rifle, i would like to use it when i really need to use it. So it should be a tactical decision. I would like to loot the ammo of the alien weapons too but Xe-1's ammo code was so broken (i know that it implemented at final hours of the game development), you could not use limited ammo and ammo looting at battlescape at all. So as short, i would like to have the option to have limited ammo at this time.

Aircraft's did not bother me because yeah it was better.. otherwise it would be very dramatic and ultra hard..

I am not against different ideas at making a new game.. but it should come as an option for modders. So even someone bothered with something so badly, he can change it with a very little steam workshop mod. Maybe he won't like it either and see you were right about the change.. who knows.. 

19 hours ago, Chris said:

As an extremely hardcore fanatical X-COM player, I actually LIKED both of the changes you mentioned.  The severe lack of ammo at certain points in X-COM/TFTD put what I considered an artificial strain on the game.  Ok granted the the fact you have to PURCHASE a plane but it gets automatically rebuilt from scratch when it gets shot down is a bit strange initially, but once you realize that they start with the wreckage and just fix it up from there rather than literally starting with the first screw and going up from there, it makes a lot more sense.  Also, anyone that says X1 is casual is not playing the same game that I am lol.

I think X1 changed just enough that it is still a spiritual successor to X-COM, but enough has changed that it was its own game.  It kept what made the series fun (base building, TUs, etc) but at the same time updated and/or changed several things that were really just unneeded micromanagement in a game that wasn't really micromanage-y in the first place.

But that's my key problem with X2.  Instead of being a spiritual successor to the BEST version of X-COM, it seems to be more a spiritual successor to the 2012 XCOM.  (I'm still reeling from the fact that game is 6 years old at this point!)  To put things in comparison, think of it like shoes.  You've worn the same brand of shoes all of your life, they're comfortable, affordable, and durable.  Then suddenly the company that made those shoes does something drastic - maybe got bought out, outsourced the manufacturing, or got new management.  Now the shoes are still the same brand, but maybe they're low quality, more expensive, and not all that comfortable.  So, being the entrepreneur you are, you decide to make your own shoe company and release shoes based on how your old shoes were.  They're a complete success and everyone loves them.  So you become rich and powerful and greedy and want more money, so you do the same thing the other company did.  Your new shoes are low quality, more expensive.  Do you think people are going to buy them like they did the originals?  Don't you think you'd catch some backlash from that?

While I may be the only one viewing it like that, this is how I view the changes made in X2.  You have strayed from what made X1 so great, being a clone of X-COM which has been in just about every Top X computer game lists I have ever seen, to now copying the lesser quality version.  No, you aren't copying everything point for point.  But enough of it that it feels like a 2012 XCOM clone. 

I'm not saying, overall, this is bad.  Like you mentioned, the game isn't even released yet.  I have high hopes that the game will be enjoyable regardless of what I've said so far.  You have sold me on it.  My hope is that, even IF you are copying things from 2012 XCOM, I won't be playing the game going, "Oh, that's from XCOM, that's from XCOM, even THAT'S from XCOM" but will instead not really notice because the game is good enough to hold my attention.  If I took the time to think about it, I could probably nitpick the hell out of X1, but I found the game so absolutely wonderful that I just overlook any of the flaws it has.  They didn't matter enough to detract from the gameplay.

Anyway, I'll get down from my soapbox.  I'm so glad the kickstarter did so well, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the release!

I would only like to point out X2 becomes deeper in every single aspect. It doesn't exactly correspond with "clone" definition.

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2018 at 1:49 AM, Chris said:

Does not in any way justify copying a bad remake. Talking about Xenonauts 2 here. Do you really refuse to admit that the ideas and features ripped-off from XCOM: Enemy Unknown are just that? Maybe you do admit that somewhere, IDK. But seeing as lawsuits are actually a thing I doubt that.

I just want to be clear, I don't accuse you of dumbing down the original game. I just state the fact that you are stealing ideas from an existing (BAD) remake of the original game. If you intended to make a remake - why not come up with something new, why not use your own vision? I LOVED Xenonauts 1 exactly for the refreshing remake of all of the lore. Not so much for the mechanics, yeah - shallow and simplistic. So Xenonauts 1 got stuck somewhere between a good remake and a poor copy. And Xenonauts 2 it seems now moving into a copy of someone else's remake direction - which is simply sad.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with stealing ideas. But stealing bad ideas?! That's just silly. Why copy a poor remake? Why not take what you started yourself to the next level - taking the original game, ridding it of all of it's failings and deepening and expanding on the experience? A question that in all probability will not be answered.

Xenonauts 2 feels rushed under pressure to come up with something. Maybe it's better to take much more time, find real inspiration. You can't seriously consider XCOM: Enemy Unknown something worth to take inspiration from?!

Just a point of view.

Edited by trueman11

“Good artists copy. Great artists steal.” - Pablo Picasso

"There's no such thing as originality, just authenticity" -Mark Twain

"Search your feelings. You know it to be true." - Darth Vader

• Like 1

Improving on bad ideas is not necessarily a bad idea itself. At least it doesn't have to be.

You could be right only if there were no improvements to be made. But this is not the case.

Although I can understand that point of view if someone has read only the description on KS page. Thus, I suggest you read a few other threads in the Features subforum. There are going to be some major improvements in X2.

There is tons of people who would like to die for a old Xcom with modern graphics.. just same with code and everything..

The first reason for openxcom was even a "working" xcom on modern computers just with some mod support. Then people took it and added more mod support and then started to add their own little points. Now it's nearly a game engine for xcom lovers somewhere they can create their own xcom ..

Fraxis take the genre and made it a "simple game play with cool graphics" BUT it nearly resurrected the turn based strategy for the new generation of gamers. Now young people know that TBS is something cool and fun to play.

Xenonauts wanted to make that "modern graphic same game with little -needed- improvements" to xcom. Succeeded enough with the sources they got. Then modders bring it to another dimension with passion even against all the engine problems..

Gallop wanted to use the chance and now tries to create the ultimate Xcom hybrid. If he could make what he wants, yeah we will have something sick for sure even with the base game. If he goes for undersea expansion, i think it will be a legendary game.

With all this TBS golden age time, all the old people want to create their own xcom genre.. it's not a clone.. it's a game genre.. like FPS, TBS, RTS, MMO.. its XCOM... you can't clone a "genre".. you make a game of it.. I don't hear anyone who calls Starcraft a Dune 2 clone or Battlefield a Wolfenstein clone.. but their game play is same as same "GENRE"..

Xe-2 is a game of XCOM genre.. this is it.. it will take many things from those games and add their own things..

It should be not so hard to understand (even with my bad english)..  

• Like 1

I agree almost with everything. Although I think Gollop's PP is quite far from X-COM. For me it's not serious enough, it has no capturing UFOs or any equivalent of that feature and there is no greater intelligence behind enemies' actions and strategy. Which I consider some of the core features of X-COM games. It will feel very different. Those monsters and some equipment tends to be childish, actually. They are doing it to appeal to contemporary audience. Similar to fanbase of new XCOM and D:OS. I think they can succeed greatly. But I still haven't pre order and hesitate to do so.

29 minutes ago, Ravn7 said:

I agree almost with everything. Although I think Gollop's PP is quite far from X-COM. For me it's not serious enough, it has no capturing UFOs or any equivalent of that feature and there is no greater intelligence behind enemies' actions and strategy. Which I consider some of the core features of X-COM games. It will feel very different. Those monsters and some equipment tends to be childish, actually. They are doing it to appeal to contemporary audience. Similar to fanbase of new XCOM and D:OS. I think they can succeed greatly. But I still haven't pre order and hesitate to do so.

You miss some points about PP.. There is a great intelligence and the earth is nearly lost. The enemy comes from sea like TFTD. There is a virus but not a normal one and noone knows it's origins.. To be honest the game a huge lore, maybe much more then it should be.. I was away for first times but when i see more and more things about it, i think it's worth to play.. and i want to see that how they will handle underwater missions.. and as a gameplay wise, i really like tactical combat as you can aim yourself and all the body parts got their own stats.. i think it's the ultimate gameplay for a xcom game.. Xe-2 could have that kind of aiming and body part system as a 3D game.. i would like to aim at Xe-2 tbh.. but same time, i like to be a commander rather then something who controls soldiers directly.

If I haven't miss anything, it's a virus that is supposed to weaken Earth and prepare it for something (invasion? just terraform the planet?) and there doesn't have to be any greater intelligence present yet. But even if it will turn our there was from the beginning, it won't change the fact there are no enemy vessels and you don't have to deal with inteligent beings most of the time. It means the setting is something completely else. Of course it doesn't mean the game is not interesting. It's very interesting, actually. I will probably buy it when dollar prices drop and see it for myself.

Would some moderator be kind enough to move this discussion to another thread in more appropriate section of the forum?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, drages said:

With all this TBS golden age time, all the old people want to create their own xcom genre.. it's not a clone.. it's a game genre.. like FPS, TBS, RTS, MMO.. its XCOM... you can't clone a "genre".. you make a game of it.. I don't hear anyone who calls Starcraft a Dune 2 clone or Battlefield a Wolfenstein clone.. but their game play is same as same "GENRE"..

Gollop might have declared that X-COM is now a genre, but count me among those who disagree.  Is D&D a genre?  No.  D&D (the tabletop game) has its own style (flavour) and culture, but it is pretty firmly in the RPG genre.  It has many clones, so many that the clones need to be further classified such as retro-clones and 3.5-clones, but that does not make it a genre.  The line of what is or is not a clone is not clear cut, and I think this is one of the big difference between genre and culture.  If Starcraft is a Warcraft III clone, and Warcraft III is a Warcraft clone, and Warcraft is a Dune 2 clone... at which point does Startcraft cease to be a Dune 2 clone?

You can blend genre, but the genres themselves has relatively clear-cut boundaries.  The word "clone" is a big hint: We don't say RPG clones or MMO clones.  We only say RPG games,  MMO games, and MMORPG games.  X-COM clones, if you think about it, are more defined by flavour than mechanic.  Like D&D.   RTS + TBT games are rarely called X-COM clones if the two aspects are not interdependent, they don't fight non-human, don't have a planet to save, don't have R&D based on non-human tech, and/or don't have hardcore difficulty.  These are all flavours.  (They are not all, but I don't want to open the can of worms known as Small Team Tactic.)

4 hours ago, Ravn7 said:

I think Gollop's PP is quite far from X-COM. For me it's not serious enough, it has no capturing UFOs or any equivalent of that feature and there is no greater intelligence behind enemies' actions and strategy. Which I consider some of the core features of X-COM games.

Phoenix Point has big strategic aliens (not alien queens; much much bigger) that carry smaller tactical aliens around, and players will want to intercept them and stop them from doing their purpose like assaulting an NPC base.  Just like you will want to intercept a Terror Ship to stop it from spawning a Terror Site.  And the breadcrumbs dropped so far strongly hint that the aliens are much more than mindless mutations.  So I'd say the features are there.

Edit: I think that is a pretty bold move, by the way.  The only revealed way to stop the big aliens is through tactical combat, rather than air combat, which bypasses the "how to do/balance air combat" problem and solves the question of "why you need multiple team in multiple bases".  The problem of map variety should be roughly on par with the problem of ufo map variety.

Edited by Sheepy

On 7/29/2018 at 7:08 AM, trueman11 said:

Does not in any way justify copying a bad remake. Talking about Xenonauts 2 here. Do you really refuse to admit that the ideas and features ripped-off from XCOM: Enemy Unknown are just that? Maybe you do admit that somewhere, IDK. But seeing as lawsuits are actually a thing I doubt that.

I just want to be clear, I don't accuse you of dumbing down the original game. I just state the fact that you are stealing ideas from an existing (BAD) remake of the original game. If you intended to make a remake - why not come up with something new, why not use your own vision? I LOVED Xenonauts 1 exactly for the refreshing remake of all of the lore. Not so much for the mechanics, yeah - shallow and simplistic. So Xenonauts 1 got stuck somewhere between a good remake and a poor copy. And Xenonauts 2 it seems now moving into a copy of someone else's remake direction - which is simply sad.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with stealing ideas. But stealing bad ideas?! That's just silly. Why copy a poor remake? Why not take what you started yourself to the next level - taking the original game, ridding it of all of it's failings and deepening and expanding on the experience? A question that in all probability will not be answered.

Xenonauts 2 feels rushed under pressure to come up with something. Maybe it's better to take much more time, find real inspiration. You can't seriously consider XCOM: Enemy Unknown something worth to take inspiration from?!

Just a point of view.

I'm not going to debate this any further beyond this post, but the point I was making was that throughout the development of Xenonauts lots of people picked out specific details in our plans and said "OMG this game will be terrible because it has <insert feature / change here> in it". But even if they were correct that those specific details were mistakes, it was almost never the problem they claimed it to be because the other 95% of the game was still the classic X-Com experience people wanted.

We are expanding on the original game and deepening and expanding the experience, but it seems like you're intent on ignoring that and instead focusing on a few features that were also in XCOM 2012 that you hate. There's no possibility that we might implement them differently / better than in XCOM? Or that the rest of the game might be good enough to make up for the fact that there's a few features you may not like?

If that's genuinely how you feel, that's how you feel. Maybe this won't be the game for you.

You know Chris, after seeing your posts that are getting more and more...hostile?  Tired?  It makes me sorry for ever complaining about it copying stuff from XCOM.  You are completely right, you are allowed to make this game however you see fit.  It's one thing to disagree with the direction you're going and explain why, but some of us are just getting out of control with pointing it out and claiming it's going to ruin your game without any basis or even knowing HOW you implement it.  I can completely understand you getting tired of responding to us about it.

There are now a few parts with this game that I don't agree with the direction they're going, but as I've mentioned before I have faith in you guys.  X1 was a phenomenal game and I'm hoping X2 is as well; I just know it will be different, and whether or not that's good or bad remains to be seen.  It's awesome that you have opened it up to us for discussions and ideas and even moreso that you've actually listened and responded.  At this point you should mostly have everything planned out and shouldn't worry too much about the ravings going on here.

1 hour ago, endersblade said:

You know Chris, after seeing your posts that are getting more and more...hostile?  Tired?  It makes me sorry for ever complaining about it copying stuff from XCOM.  You are completely right, you are allowed to make this game however you see fit.  It's one thing to disagree with the direction you're going and explain why, but some of us are just getting out of control with pointing it out and claiming it's going to ruin your game without any basis or even knowing HOW you implement it.  I can completely understand you getting tired of responding to us about it.

There are now a few parts with this game that I don't agree with the direction they're going, but as I've mentioned before I have faith in you guys.  X1 was a phenomenal game and I'm hoping X2 is as well; I just know it will be different, and whether or not that's good or bad remains to be seen.  It's awesome that you have opened it up to us for discussions and ideas and even moreso that you've actually listened and responded.  At this point you should mostly have everything planned out and shouldn't worry too much about the ravings going on here.

Don't feel bad about it. I think my posts have only got more tired / hostile because I am tired right now. Preparing a Kickstarter, then running a Kickstarter, then dealing with all the admin after the Kickstarter is pretty exhausting work ... and on top of that I've been planning a wedding and trying to line up enough work for everyone in the company to keep them busy while I'm off on my honeymoon. Plus trying to work my normal job. So if I'm sounding grumpy, it's most likely not the fault of you or anyone else on the forums :)

Ultimately we derive a huge amount of value from these forums and I as a developer have to take the rough with the smooth - people aren't always going to be singing my praises, and sometimes people post unhelpful things. You yourself have proved that those people are often just otherwise helpful people who have jumped to the wrong conclusions, and with a bit of a nudge will return to being helpful members of the community. I don't agree with your views 100% but other than a few rash posts a few weeks ago you've been contributing valuable thoughts to all the various design discussions along with many of the other regular community members.

Posting all your plans up for discussion can definitely backfire if people are more interested in posting knee-jerk reactions than constructive debate (and it's definitely a frustrating thing to experience as a developer), but it's still absolutely worth it overall. Sure, I've had the same argument about XCOM about a dozen times in the last couple of months, but these forums have also helped highlight a bunch of potential issues in the game design - e.g. the discussions on the soldier inventory have been useful to help me realise that some of my proposed changes were probably not a good idea. No doubt there'll be more of that in the future, but I'll happily trade a few hours of short-term frustration for a better game.

• Thanks 1