Sign in to follow this  
Ninothree

Into the Breach

Anyone else had a crack at this? It is a turn based strategy (I heard you all like turn based strategies) made by Subset games, who also produced FTL. Whilst neither of them are really in the same genre as xenonauts/xcom I think that the combat system of this latest game is very familiar. You use a couple of mechs in very close coordination to fight off an attack, with much of the game mechanics revolving around the specific positioning you take around the map.

It is not a not a game that will swallow months of your free time, it is quite basic really, but I like it for its simplicity. The design seems to have isolated the bit of a lot of games where you actually make strategic decisions, then they've got rid of all the rest of the junk so it is only that interesting bit. 

To me, it plays more like a puzzle game than a tactical game. There are some things that Goldhawk could *ahem* "borrow" from it, like the knockback mechanic. 

It's a funny one - it's undoubtedly an incredibly clever game with a huge amount of awesome design crammed into a tiny space, and a setting that I really like ... but I don't feel much urge to play it any more after having completed a 4-island run with the starting mech team and getting all their achievements (whereas the thought of doing another FTL run is still an exciting idea to me).

I'd say that I was impressed by Into The Breach, rather than that I enjoyed it.

I really liked it. Like Chris says, it's a cleverly designed game. it crams a disproportionately large amount of "stuff" into a small package. I finished it several times and unlocked most of the squads and have had my fill of it for now, probably because I kinda binge played it. 

I found that there is a knack for playing it, like thinking a few moves ahead in chess. Although yeah, maybe more puzzle than strategy - that might account for why the urge to play it drops off so quickly. Once you've discovered all the content, it gets repetitive. 

I bought this and I liked it.  What I liked most is that the game is very conservative-yet-efficient with its use of randomness. Combat doesn't depend on dice rolls except for two specific situations (power grid damage and unit spawns).  Like FTL, weapons deal damage in small, integral values which makes combat feel more like chess than XCOM.  The rest of the randomness is at the level of the geoscape (which maps spawn and what rewards drop after a zone is saved), and this macro-level randomness has more of an impact on the game than the randomness in combat.

I didn't really like the atmosphere.  Everything is really dreary and all of the pilots look depressed (except for the Margaret Thatcher character :D).

On 4/19/2018 at 3:37 PM, Chris said:

It's a funny one - it's undoubtedly an incredibly clever game with a huge amount of awesome design crammed into a tiny space, and a setting that I really like ... but I don't feel much urge to play it any more after having completed a 4-island run with the starting mech team and getting all their achievements (whereas the thought of doing another FTL run is still an exciting idea to me).

I'd say that I was impressed by Into The Breach, rather than that I enjoyed it.

Neither did I like Into the Breach as much as I enjoyed FTL.  I think this was because there was no feeling of adventure that FTL had.  In FTL your ship goes on a little journey and there are events along the way, so each run is like a little story, whereas a playthrough of ItB feels more like a chess tournament.