X-2 and Others

Xenonauts was great to copy original Xcom... but it had problems of the old game with few good editions.. If X-2 wants to success, devs should check some games and mods very carefully at planning.. and see what the player base wants and expects from future games..

As games, there is very good examples and possible "competitors"....

- Fraxis XCom series are a big example for what people want to see.. i don't talk about the game itself, i talk about the forums of those games.. they should listen what people liked or hated. And someone did this already...

- Phoenix Point, comes ultra hot.. as i watch every video and news, the game becomes the "ultimate one" if they succeed.. even i don't like the mutants over aliens, the game play got everything an X-com fan wants.. a 3D xcom layout as fraxis one with time points, inventory, creative weapon layouts (like shoulder rocket launcher), aiming system!, destructive terrain, horror theme, different sized enemies, vehicles (yeah...), factions with own personality with many unique things, geosphere with cool elements.. if they have modding support, the game could be immortal and even an xcom 3 killer (especially if they can bring they 1.2 million kick starter step as a expansion which is "underwater")...

So X-2 should have something more or better to offer.. X-1 got the original feeling with "time points turn system" which was special to it because fraxis xcom did not use it... but after Phoenix did that.. i don't know..

The second big point is to consider "mods"... mods shows that what people wants to see.. there is 3 big example for this..

1. Xcom - Long Wars: Fraxis done well to fully support this huge mod which gives nearly everything for hardcore fans.. 

2. OpenXcom - XcomFiles and X-PirateZ: As those created from original Xcom, they are very good examples what could an Xcom have!.. Devs should play them for sure as they try to live up with xcom..

3. Xenonauts - X-Division: Sadly, Golden Hawk choose the ignore this mod for years when other devs likes to support their modders at every platform. With XCE support, X-Division implemented many things with help of many people. I think X-Division alone got many answer what xenonauts players wants and what could be done for richer gameplay.. and if X-1 is still played somewhere by someone without any DLC/Expansion with it's not much replayablity, X-Division is a big reason as the only development still continued..

So the "question" is... do X-2 devs consider those facts? or will we get something more stable but less then X-1?

As the answer for vehicles at tactical layer:

I don't know the other games, save Xenonauts, but I like the "Planetary Defence Simulator" setting and subtitle. This should inspire a balance between all game aspects.

That's why I could only stand auto-resolving air combats instead of playing them, if there is still a true air campaign to play through. If it's not already lost, that is. That's why research shouldn't focus on tactical equipment only. That's why the campaign could be non-linear, in the sense where there could be both dire and glorious days alternating thorough the whole campaign duration, whatever the human technological advance is. Also a little bit of randomness, with allied and aliens both making tactical and strategical single errors (or the reverse).

Xenonauts-2 is going to be more than just X1 with better graphics and better stability; there's quite a bit more complexity in the game and on the strategy layer in particular.

I'll likely be posting up a preview of our Kickstarter page on the forums in the next week or two so I won't explain the changes right now as you'll have a much better idea of the game we're trying to make when you see our sales pitch!

(I'll have the discussion about specific mods once we've laid out our plans for the game; having a detailed discussion would involve me having to explain too much about X2 if we try to do it now)