Would it make sense if a soldier who fired several consecutive shots at a stationary target (or even one that didn't move that much), would get increasingly better accuracy with each shot they fired? Logic being that you pop off a shot, see where it hits, and then correct your aim based on that shot?

This does make sense. Also, just sitting in the same place would also help your aim, as opposed to having just run up a flight of stairs or something. I think the real question is how much would it make the game better? Whilst you might want a boost to your aim stat, and you may deserve it when you've got a soldier making a third attempt at one particular shot, the downside is that it could promote a more of a static feel - everyone digging in. Besides which, the different types of shot (snap/aimed) are the implementation of that aim boost - firing madly for three turns shouldn't be any better than taking time over one precise shot.

Yeah, on one hand it would reward bounding overwatch, on the other, turtling would also be rewarded.

Maybe this setup would call for a counter: remaining stationary buffs accuracy at every turn, but taking fire from the sides would also be increasingly damaging. This would motivate the use of flanking. Maybe even implement a tunnel vision mechanic, but that could turn shooting the main door of the smaller ships into a piece of cake.

Focused shooters should also be more susceptible to suppression.

I think the TU system in place already abstracts some of the ideas presented. Burst firing would represent shooting multiple times for an aim bonus, while snap firing twice would be more like "shoot one, take time to make a decision, shoot again". 

I like the idea of stationary buffs. I feel like JA2 did something like that; if you did not use all your TUs, some carried over to the next turn. I wonder if focus buffs would make the game strategy narrower... everyone will focus on the breach door, and both sides will incur heavy losses. I think the variety could be fun though.

It's something I'd consider, but it's likely to be a late-development balance change. That exact system of granting an accuracy boost to consecutive shots at the same target is used in JA2 and it works well there - but right now I'm reluctant to add anything else to the (already very complex) shooting calculation until we know what we already have is rock solid.

• Like 1

The turtling argument is a good one, but I'm thinking it will also encourage you to stay moving as you know that once you're taking shots from somewhere, whoever (or whatever) is shooting is only going to get more accurate.

I understand it's a significant change, though. Didn't know others had used it to good effect already, so that's interesting to hear.