Fun with Rookie Legionaries

So several times on late game guns, I've been keeping around groups of Legionary units as a sort of melee bumrush unit.

Well, for the first time I actually got upgraded shields, and oh man does this change the poor rookies from bumrush initiation fodder to an actually effective group. 

Panic is a hilarious problem, as are flanks, but considering these guys are basically just going out praying to survive and get promoted, this works well.

I have a strong feeling this only works effectivly on beginner and easy difficulty, since on hard the aliens do not miss from this close distance, they will destroy shield and also kill the soldier with one burst, and you have to smack them 3 to 4 times atleast with stunbaton before they go down. 

Just a heads op here, smoke has zero effekt on lizards, they have thermal vision/see by senth. Unless you play X-Division a mod/total conversion which I highly recommend. Be warned though some may find it too hardcore, but I would advise everyone to atleast give it a try. 

But I do like your idea, if only you could have throwable spears, then your phalanx unit would be complete :)

1 hour ago, Svinedrengen said:

But I do like your idea, if only you could have throwable spears, then your phalanx unit would be complete :)

They have. With throwable mass flashbangs, and throwable smoke they A. suppress anything in range B. throw smoke to maximise miss chances before they are able to close in the distance and C. can also use other grenades. As long as they work as a team, and put damaged shields in the second line this strategy is pretty good.

34 minutes ago, Charon said:

They have. With throwable mass flashbangs, and throwable smoke they A. suppress anything in range B. throw smoke to maximise miss chances before they are able to close in the distance and C. can also use other grenades. As long as they work as a team, and put damaged shields in the second line this strategy is pretty good.

That was a very legit and valid demonstration in that video, never really considered bringing 5 shields in X-Division. My point was a actual throwingspear, but then again why throw spears when you can throw grenades with splash damage, unless offcourse they could litterally pin aliens down to walls, trees etc, so they could not move, that would be pretty cool. Maybe and idea for a late implementation to future X-Division versions? I know I would use it, atleast for fun:). Maybe a glue/slime grenade to pin enemys down for a few turns?

@SvinedrengenWell, this strategy works in X-Division because of the changed cost for crouching/standing up (10 tu). I dont know how effective this tactic is when you only need 3 tu to stand up after suppression in the vanilla game.

Also the vanilla game uses a different suppression mechanic, and, and, and ... so you can hardly compare those 2 games. Still it is a valid tactic under certain circumstances.

You could also easily mod in a spear throwing grenade with suppression capabilities, so something along the lines is definitely possible.

@Charon I guess that taktik could work in vanilla game, but I am not gonna try to find out, I do not se any reason going back to vanilla when playing this absolut beast of a mod you helped create, and yes I do not consider X-Division a creature of God, it is something else:).

I only wish it was that easy to make mods as you say so I could help, but I do not have the skills or knowhow like you do. I only got lots and lots of brains to come up with ideas, not saying that you do not have brains too, or am I;). Let us make an arrangement, I come up with ideas and you make them happen how about that? Sounds good? Sweet! 

12 hours ago, Charon said:

I come up with ideas and you realise it, how about that ?

Unfurtunatly I can see multiple issues with this suggestion, I really dont know anything about this stuff, it will cost you more time and frustration than you could imagin, trying to exsplane everything to an oldfashioned guy like me, that has never had facebook, twitter etc and thinks socialmedias are stupid and the exact opposite of being social, how some call it social when you can not see the person in the eyes and can not read there bodylanguage either is beyond me, I have never wrote a comment on the internet before joining goldhawkinteractive and I only did that so I could download X-Division, I have short fuse, no patience with elektronik devices and only solution since childhood when they dont comply is pure violence. That is me. Now are you still sure you want me to realise your ideas? 

@Svinedrengen If you are familiar enough with grunt work like this, then no thinking is required.

films-photography-videographer-zoom_out-

I presume you know how to read, and how to find letters on the keyboard ? Than you have all the requirements needed.

Step 1. Download Sublime Text

Step 2. Open the weapons_gc.xml and strings.xml with Sublime Text

Step 3. Copy the numbers from the weapons_gc over to the strings.xml

On the other hand i can totally understand when you dont WANT to do this. But dont talk about not being able to do it ;).

2 hours ago, Charon said:

I presume you know how to read, and how to find letters on the keyboard ?

2 hours ago, Charon said:

On the other hand i can totally understand when you dont WANT to do this. But dont talk about not being able to do it ;).

Alright alright hold your horses you got me, I just downloaded the sublime text 3 and I will see if I can figure it out. Just dont exspect much from me, my biggest issue is lack of time since I have kids and run my own one man bisness, but DO exspect to be bombarded with quistions from me. 

By the way I just started to follow your channel and I have already asked some quistions regarding the changes from 0.99.45 to 0.99.50.

11 minutes ago, Svinedrengen said:

Alright alright hold your horses you got me, I just downloaded the sublime text 3 and I will see if I can figure it out. Just dont exspect much from me, my biggest issue is lack of time since I have kids and run my own one man bisness, but DO exspect to be bombarded with quistions from me. 

Alright, hold your horses. I would need to explain more than that. So if you are running your own buisness and have to take care of your kids its totally ok if you spend time with them. All i wanted to point out is that there are literally a million people on the internet with the phrase " I have the idea, you do the work." . Competence is no the issue, time and willingness to do the work is. Competence is literally not the issue because you can google anything. So you can aquire any competence within a simple timeframe, but how long that takes is up to your own willingness to invest in something.

If you want to comment on something its better if you do that in the main threat.

1 hour ago, Charon said:

there are literally a million people on the internet with the phrase " I have the idea, you do the work." .

Well I dont not know how others have wrote/writen? it to you before, but I thought it was obvious that what I wrote was not to be taken seriously at all, I guess I was wrong sorry, I wont bother you anymore. I will try to selfeducate on the subjekt with google and videos, if I do make some progress I hope that you will take a look a it. Thanks for your time and fast replyes, I certanly did not exspect that.

Will do so in future.

1 minute ago, Svinedrengen said:

Well I dont not know how others have wrote/writen? it to you before, but I thought it was obvious that what I wrote was not to be taken seriously at all, I guess I was wrong sorry, I wont bother you anymore. I will try to selfeducate on the subjekt with google and videos, if I do make some progress I hope that you will take a look a it. Thanks for your time and fast replyes, I certanly did not exspect that.

Will do so in future.

Dont worry, everybody needs a place to boast :). You dont need to cut communication, everybodies welcome :).

For reference's sake, this seemed to work alright on both Normal and Veteran difficulties. Overall I kept getting stuck in a rut around endgame, and just decided "screw it, everyone gets a shield and baton if You guys can't hit anything." Mostly this was due to repeatedly almost capturing an alien leader, then getting destroyed in brutal fashion right in the final room, You know how it goes. 

11 hours ago, Charon said:

You dont need to cut communication

I did not plan to, what I meant was I wont bother you about modding, until I learn some basics, if I learn this computerhacking stuff that is. 

Dont worry, if I have quistions or find odditys in gameplay I wont keep quiet, you can count on that :)

Edited by Svinedrengen
Spelling as always