Some suggestions I have for Xenonauts 2

1) Reapers should have a lower chance of instantly killing your soldiers if they have better armor equipped. I disliked how in xenonauts you were just as vulnerable to Reapers at the end of the game as you were at the beginning of the game. 

2) Interceptors should not take so long to refuel. It took far too long for planes to rearm and refuel in xenonauts. Three UFOs would spawn and I'd take one down then have to wait three hours for my planes to be able to take the next one down, and while Im waiting the UFOs are causing havoc and lowering my funding, which then affects my ability to get new planes which would help me combat all the UFOs.

3) I'd like to see more variation in alien creatures. The aliens in xenonauts were all two legged slightly human looking creatures, and that made them boring to look at. For example maybe try to make the Wraiths look more raptor like, or maybe make a new species that is just a mass of tentacles.

4) When a civilian is found and they cant see any aliens they should try to make it to the xenonauts dropship and hide there. This would help keep the citizens out of your way and keep them safe.

5) Some more lore oriented research.

6) Give the head researcher a Nobel prize. He deserves one.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on my suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZombeeBacon said:

I like idea 2. Did the refueling/re-arming take place in parallel in Xenonauts? I can't remember, I might be thinking of the original XCOM games...

Yes they did in both games.

1) I don't think this should be changed as it keeps the fear in Reapers and makes you stay away. As long as you check corners and keep your distance you should be fine. For them to attack they need to be pretty close to begin with on the start of their turn. Some sort of cue would be nice with all aliens where you get a heads up of knowing when something is under the shroud or close by like unique footsteps or specific sounds to each alien. This would make it so you could plan your attacks and defense better with a higher strategy element, but it cant always be relied on.  Sometimes you get jumped scared and there is nothing you can do about it. This is the main frustrating part. Maybe a scout drone with low HP?

2) You can always speed up time a little and go back out when the tanks aren't quite full so you can catch the last few. They stick around for a while. However, some sort of minor fuel tank/range upgrade and able to add 1 or 2 more rocket ammo would be nice so there was more customizing of fighters before having to buy the fancy new one. I do like how currently there is an automated equipping side of it, but some customizing would be good. 

3) I believe this was a limitation in the first 2D engine and hence a lot of aliens had less moving parts and were more confined to their block like structure. This could be expanded with unity and  definitely yes more organic like tentacles and less "humany". The Tentaculat from TFTD was scary AF. It did however have the fighting style of the Reaper.

4) Sounds good and seems logical for a normal human to do. Sometimes though they are best staying put rather than becoming a target. The aliens vary rarely go back into buildings you've already checked, but this could change with improved AI and better use of vertical upper levels in buildings.

5) Agreed (with some voice overs would be nice)

6) lol :)

Edited by roxxed
  • Like 2

To the second point on refuelling: it did seem a little silly that you could fight half a wave but would have to nip home before going back to finish them off. It wasn't exciting and it broke immersion somewhat. I remember needing to take trips back for something as little as a tiny handful of autocannon rounds. Obviously there needs to be some challenge in the air war to make it a game but I'd say that if you're only managing a half dozen craft, the challenge shouldn't be logistics: the refuelling/rearming wait time isn't an interesting aspect of play. 

As for your point on lore related research: in another thread on weapons, Chris stated something to the effect that the player shouldn't be facing a decision between researching lasers or filling their xenopedia with lore about the invaders. On a second play through, you wouldn't feel as compelled to study the lore, so you'd get all the combat tech first (in a recent play of XCOM, I did just this and played most of the game with top tier weapons - it became a drag). I guess the issue here is that the single research tree is the helm for too much development. It is the only way to get at the story line, progress through stages of the game and upgrade your gear. These are qualitatively different so probably shouldn't fall under the same umbrella. Xcom Apocalypse had two research divisions, so you could be studying the alien life cycle whilst also designing a new fleet of interceptors. One side of research would seem more important than the other for a while but their significance would alternate as the game progressed.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ninothree said:

guess the issue here is that the single research tree is the helm for too much development. It is the only way to get at the story line, progress through stages of the game and upgrade your gear. These are qualitatively different so probably shouldn't fall under the same umbrella. Xcom Apocalypse had two research divisions, so you could be studying the alien life cycle whilst also designing a new fleet of interceptors. One side of research would seem more important than the other for a while but their significance would alternate as the game progressed.

+1

as for 2 they had an XCOM clone that made it so that you had to be damaged by the reaper to become infected, and then it took a little bit of time. XCOM apocalypse had the damage tied to psi i think, so that if you had high psi defense you could defend against it (which none of the lower level armor had, so it was a late game thing, and not that great either).

it really all depends on how valuable your guys are. in XCOM the first 2 guys that walk off your transport were pretty much dead, so losing 1 guy to bad luck while clearing a room isn't that big of a deal, but in firaxis's XCOM you have 4-6 guys during the mission and losing 1 of them was a major setback for the rest of the game, so losing 1 of them due to bad luck is a big deal.

I definitely want less humanoid aliens! Silacoid comes to mind for example, the Tentaculat was a good example as well!

Alien vehicles would be quite cool as well, for the larger cruisers, transport ships or other. Sectopods were neat, but my favourite despite being very unoriginal was always the Cyberdisc.

Edited by DaReaperZ
More ideas

7 hours ago, DaReaperZ said:

I definitely want less humanoid aliens! Silacoid comes to mind for example, the Tentaculat was a good example as well!

Alien vehicles would be quite cool as well, for the larger cruisers, transport ships or other. Sectopods were neat, but my favourite despite being very unoriginal was always the Cyberdisc.

This was the biggest drawback of XCOM 2.  Most of the enemies are just basically humans in armor.  I mean, I totally get WHY as far as the story goes, but it feels less like an XCOM game and more like Jagged Alliance or something.  Even the original XCOM had predominantly alien looking aliens.

I agree the ADVENT humans made sense from a story perspective, but they were rather boring to face. Even the more powerful ones such as the Avatar, Spectres and Codexes were essentially humans with a twist. Codex could teleport, Spectre was a human made from nanobots apparently and the Avatar actually was straight up a human.

The most interesting enemies in XCOM and XCOM 2 in my mind were the Faceless (despite being human technically, they were quite cool and really surprising the first time), Berserkers, Vipers and actually the Floaters. Chyssalid would be on the list, but they were basically exactly copied from XCOM: UFO Defense. Technically the others were similar too except for the Berserkers and Faceless.

For an urban combatant, to me, it'd make sense to make kind of an octopus-like creature with 360 degree field of view and a weapon in every direction. Perhaps due to the lack of depth perception their accuracy could be low in order to balance things. As a "terror" creature that would make much sense. Just like the original Chryssalid.

I could think about more creatures, but this was what came off the top of my head.