X2 Modern PC's Support

Hi Goldhawk team, thank you for giving love to our beloved OLD XCOM: Defence game by bringing the magic back. Your effort to please as many of the fans as possible is appricated.

A few questions on the upcoming X2

1. Will there be 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor support? (ultrawide gaming got really popular the last few years it would be great to see this option in the upcomg X2. (firaxis also added ultrawide support to their reboot. In the begining even in window mode there was a bug that the mouse pointer didn't line up with the tiles in ultrawide screen but with later patches it got resolved)

2. Will X2 run with dirextX/OpenGL or Vulkan multiplatform API (Vulkan is much better since porting is a breeze to any platform with Vulkan API)

3. Linux support. There are many many Linux distros but the two Major ones are Debian based (like Linux Mint No.1 and Ubuntu No4. popularity) and Arch based (like Arch or Manjaro No2)

As I understand X2 should run in most Linux distors but can you please make sure the Arch and Debian based ones are well supported?

4. GOG vs Steam. I prefer buying my games on the DRM free GOG however the OS support info did not match on gog & steam. 

GoG stated Ubuntu 14.04 & 16.04 support

Steam stated: Any Linux distros from 2010 onward. 

Beacuse it wasn't so clear on GoG what patches and support released through them and also steam had more recent news on Xenonauts I picked it up on steam instead. Can you make sure you talk to both companies on release so we get identical OS requriments and patch updates on both serives?

5. A neat feature. When Firaxis created the XCOM reboot they contacted Alienware to add the AlienFX lights to their game. I'm part of the Alienware comminity and you be surprised on the amount of Alienware users playing XCOM & Xenonauts. (AlienFX games control the lights on all Alienware computers Desktop/Laptop/Steam Machine) in xcom 

Base operation: lights turned yellow.

Plane fights: lights flashing 

ground combat: your turn green and Alien turn Red

It was a nice feature and benifited both companies. Alienware added xcom on their AlienFX games list and Firaxis get free advertisment publicity in the Alienware community, AlienFX feature would be a nice and cheap feature to implement.

Thanks Chris, Goldhawk team hope to hear from you.

Peace Syd 

Edited by BlackSheepxs

On 02/03/2018 at 9:49 AM, BlackSheepxs said:

2. Will X2 run with dirextX/OpenGL or Vulkan multiplatform API (Vulkan is much better since porting is a breeze to any platform with Vulkan API)

4. GOG vs Steam. I prefer buying my games on the DRM free GOG however the OS support info did not match on gog & steam. 

GoG stated Ubuntu 14.04 & 16.04 support

Steam stated: Any Linux distros from 2010 onward. 

Because it wasn't so clear on GoG what patches and support released through them and also steam had more recent news on Xenonauts I picked it up on steam instead. Can you make sure you talk to both companies on release so we get identical OS requirements and patch updates on both services.

Will X2 really need DirectX10-11? I'm currently with DirectX9.0c... I mean, I was always told to upgrade or rise the requirements only if they are useful enough (and used).

Problem with Steam and Linux seems to be that most distros will only package what they consider stable applications as a whole, whatever the game you want to play on. The priority given to a gaming platform may also be relatively low. Hence, the result could still be suboptimal even if Goldhawk gave Steam all the balls. But it would be certainly better than doing nothing, though. I would advise Goldhawk to contact the PlayOnLInux team instead, or as well. I believe they know how to harness Wine when properly informed on games' functionality and API usages, and they are as user-friendly as Steam.

• Like 1

We are planning to add ultrawide support to the game, yes - a kind member of the community actually sent us his old monitor to test it on.

Regarding the Linux stuff - right now I don't really know. We're using Unity this time around so it should theoretically be much easier to natively port to Mac / Linux but we're only going to start looking into those ports when we are in Early Access and gearing up for the final release. Windows PC is by far our largest market and whilst we'd love to support other platforms, right now we're concentrating on making a game that people want to play before we worry about making it available on different platforms :) 

The advantage of having a native port via Unity done by the Goldhawk team should be that we have much better control over the support and updates on different distribution services though.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, Rodmar18 said:

Will X2 really need DirectX10-11? I'm currently with DirectX9.0c... I mean, I was always told to upgrade or rise the requirements only if they are useful enough (and used).

Problem with Steam and Linux seems to be that most distros will only package what they consider stable applications as a whole, whatever the game you want to play on. The priority given to a gaming platform may also be relatively low. Hence, the result could still be suboptimal even if Goldhawk gave Steam all the balls. But it would be certainly better than doing nothing, though. I would advise Goldhawk to contact the PlayOnLInux team instead, or as well. I believe they know how to harness Wine when properly informed on games' functionality and API usages, and they are as user-friendly as Steam.

Good points Rodmar18, however I like that Goldhawk makes the effort to have a native Linux version instead of wine / Playonlinux only. We need more Native support for Linux games to grow the community and Goldhawk is on board.

Edited by BlackSheepxs
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris.

Focusing on the Windows platform first is perfectly understandable. Windows will be the main cash flow platform. We really appreciate the effort that you take the time to bring native Linux support. For X2 getting ultra wide 3440x1440 support is fantastic news!!!! :)

Unity engine should will work well!

When you get to the stage to optimize for Linux it's always good to look at which one is the more popular to support.

1. Linux Mint (Cinnamon) by far the most popular Linux of 2017. based on Debian like the Ubuntu so it will work nicely, note Ubuntu next Major update (happens every 2 years is due in April and will switch to new Linux Kernel ( Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome shell)

2. Linux Manjaro Gnome/KDE fastest growing distro and there is a big chance it may overtake Linux Mint.

https://distrowatch.com/

Thanks brother

Edited by BlackSheepxs