Visual changes of X-2

roxxed

Hi Chris, what will be changing in regards to the UI both in the Battlescape and Geoscape? Will the Geoscape, research window, base building etc remain in the same structure with updated UI? What about general audio changes/FX's/atmosphere and possible Battlecape weather effects?(rain, snow fall,  dusk and dawn missions) and general mood of the gameplay considering you guys now have Unity to play with.

Just trying to generally understand if X-2 will be a clone of the original right down to its structure and menus with improvements considering team size and budget, or if there are any other major visual changes being considered.

Cheers

Hello, considering the added or vanilla environmental sounds, it would be great if both conditions and priorities were attached to each such environmental sound.

I play Xeno-1 with Ambient Sounds mod and it's very addictive.

However, sometimes it gets weird when you hear shooting or animal screaming when the only surviving Aliens are entrenched in their ship, or all civilians are dead (or absent!). Granted, there could be a distant, maddened civilian using his pistol out of fear, but no animal would scream for no reason.

Suggestion:

1. Each environmental sound is qualified by a priority number so that it's played more or less than different priority sounds, according to the map theme. (Perhaps, it's already the case in the Ambient Sounds mod)
  2. Each environmental sound is qualified by zero to two (?) conditions that allow or prevent it to be played (or change its priority number), such as: IsCivilianLeft, IsAlienOutsideUfo, IsUfoCrashed, IsAlienAggressive, IsPopulationSparse, IsPsionLeft, etc.

This way, the very sound ambience of the map would change the more the map is cleaned.

Xenonauts-2 will not be a clone of the original when it ships, no - but when we first make it available the strategy layer will have more similarities to Xenonauts 1 than it will at the end. Basically it's much easier and faster for us to create a familiar framework for everyone to play with and then start experimenting with changes whilst the community offers feedback than trying to make them all before the public release.

Ultimately it's hard for me to provide a definitive answer given that different people have different ideas of what constitutes "the same" but when I went back to playing Xeno 1 a few days ago to help with some design work, I was surprised at how different everything felt. However your own mileage may vary given I've spent a LONG time looking at X2 by now!

As an example, the background art on the Geoscape and the Base screens is fresh but the other screens still use the X1 artwork. We'll do a pass on it prior to release, but obviously it's going to generate a pretty familiar feel in the meantime!