Question for Devs: How are TU costs calculated?

Hello, everyone! This is my first post on the forum, but I thought I'd like to start by asking a question to the Goldhawk devs.

I've wondered why certain actions cost the TU that they do. I know that how many TU your soldiers have is related to the TU stat, but what is the underlying math behind why firing an MG or throwing a grenade varies from individual to individual? Further, why were those numbers chosen? I'm interested in game design, and would love to someday make something in the vein of Xenonauts, so understanding how and why these decisions are made is certainly important to me.

Yeah, the fire mode for each weapon is a % of your max TU (before it is modified by any weight penalties). This means you can ensure a character can fire a rifle at max accuracy twice per turn if they don't move, irrespective of their TU stat. Units with a higher TU are just able to move / rotate / reload / etc more than an inexperienced soldier rather than having an inherently greater damage output.

As Dranak mentions, this is done for balance reasons. If you use flat values then when soldiers level up they end up able to fire weapons far more often than inexperienced soldiers AND they can fire them with much more accuracy, which means their power increases exponentially with experience rather than linearly... which turned out to be too much.