Quality of life improvement

Hi! Long time player, first time poster. 

I like the game being a real challenge, for me that means playing on veteran difficulty and not using saves to cheat when things go badly. Sadly, because of my incompetence (and the difficulty of the game), it also usually means heavy casualties. Now this is all fine by me (maybe not for my little pixel-men though), but re-equipping and re-assigning troops becomes a bit of a chore.

One neat thing about xenonauts 1 was the templates you could use to quickly equip a soldier. The problem I have is that since soldiers aren't created equal (which is great), there will be varying amounts of extra gear they can carry. Being the obsessive min-maxing type (research shows that 96-97% of xenonauts players belong in this category), I manually fill their pockets with extra grenades, C4 and so on until they are optimally equipped.

My suggestion for making this a bit smoother is to create a "nice to have"-list, which is set in each template. When you select a loadout for a soldier, they will be equipped with the default gear like in X1, plus as many items from the "nice to have"-list as they can carry. The list could contain duplicates of course, so if you wanted you could just have frag grenades on it etc...

Thank you for your time!

Wow, that is a really nice idea. It seems simple and obvious but I've not seen anyone mention it. I mean, I guess it could be annoying if you accidentally fill up a soldier's inventory with grenades then you have to do some extra shuffling mid-mission, but any idea which overall amounts to fewer unnecessary clicks is, I think, a bit of a winner. (Also hello)

It's a good idea if we retain the strength-based system for equipping gear, but we're experimenting with removing the Strength stat (given it's nowhere near as useful as some of the other stats) and setting inventory size based on the type of armour instead so you have to make a decision on protection vs. the amount of equipment you can carry.

I'll bear it in mind though :)

• Like 2