Time setting of X2

Is X2 being set further time than X1?

I noticed the soldiers appear to be using LBV-88s or some variant thereof, so I'm guessing it's set in 1985+ as opposed to X1 which is set in 1979?

If so, can we set them getting C7s or M16A2s as the standard ballistic rifle, if not something more exotic? I understand the demo build probably just was using assets from X1, but it could be a nice flavor to distinguish it from X1.  I think the H&K G41 would be a nice feeling option here.

Also X1 had some annoying anachronisms (eg KSK being a possible former unit despite them being only formed post-reunification). I'd be willing to help research and check this for X2.

Edited by trotskygrad

Yeah, X2 is set in the modern day - but an alternative history where the Soviet Union never fell, and the Cold War is still very much going on. The dropship and weapon selection reflect this, so there's a more modern version of the M16 and the sniper rifle is now an AWM and the LMG is a M249. The updated art for those actually came in this week so they'll be in the next build.

No need for an alternate past story, imho. See what's happening in real life...

You could just tell that the invasion triggers off stiffer diplomatic relations, treaty revisions, alliance shifts, ... an go sci-fi. A world literally going nuke nut, falling to a Second Cold War.

Just make sure you take into enough consideration the current day situation : hyper-connected world, manpower and urbanization in South America, Africa, and Asia, conventional supremacy of USA, actual political map, new weapons (thermobaric, FAE as alternative to nukes?, development of small pre-strategic nuclear weapon), perhaps a more integrated EU. The main difference could be the regional boundaries (don't put India and China in the same region: they would weight more than one third of the population). Also give "us" Greece back, and extend Middle East to Africa? I know that would come close to the regions in UFO:AI. But a Second Cold War scenario could well make a difference, and regions could be split (Russia together with India ?), adding a little political aspect to what is currently merely a matter of covering enough land mass with radar and bases.

Out of topic: Thinking of this, the political map could be even more complex. See you in another thread.