A few things i would like to see in xen 2.

Overall i don t mind much about game coesiveness in tales ect. But it always nice when the dev looks like they tought the game and did not simply cram the GFX will all kind of buzz, and we player end up with a whore (streamlined game) with over make up and foamed bra...Yes i m male sorry girls, think about a guy with wizzbang and an empty wallet and a sock you know where.

Fireaxis Xtrash i m headshooting you.

So what made me fall a bit in love with the original Xcom, despite its problems was that the game was somewhat coese and complete considering tech limitations. I have to say i begun with TFTD.

There probably some easy to implement features, and some way too dreamlike, especially for non AAA title, but since GFX aren t a priority(thanks the gods) i hope gameplay and settings are.

Things i liked and made sense. Some may have been said in others post i wrote.

- You could reshearch alien tech and use it way way before being able to replicate it. So scavenging was usefull especially when a mission was getting smelly. I remember times when scavenging was more important than taking the alien vessel.

- producing, selling and buying from the world. 

Made awfull sense when all are trying to fight to survive at least pretending to...

What lacked at the time was: 

- Delivered tech being mass produced and made free/or cheaper to Xcom org. And used agaisn t aliens.

- earth producing its own tech, (lets says countries or oficial/shaddy orgs.) 

On hearth interaction.

Countries collaborating with money made sense, them being attacked/bribed by aliens made sense.

Them being freed from aliens made sense.

What could be improved:

- QTD of money never made sense.

- Spying/betrayal - X com going underground -Xcom spying on countries allied, 

- early game west / east weaponry, logistic, tech collab didn t make sense.

- Since we are in cold war, the duality jealousy and fear wasn t enought explored.

- same as sect, those were somewhat well explored in the Xcom apocalipse. But in a global market, massive capital owners could be independent players too...(making short Factions with some "personnal" agendas.(i see phoenix point going that way.)

• 3 months later...

I definitely like the idea of having to cap a whole weapon for each soldier rather than be able to research one, and then be able to produce them from raw materials.  I loved the Xe1 approach of their mid-game craft being real world craft that were adapted, rather than built from scratch.  I definitely don't think in the span of the game the humans should be able to completely understand everything about alien weapons to be able to reproduce an exact replica from raw materials, only through piecing together salvaged components, adapting existing weapons for a different function does it even begin to make sense.  The scientist can still earn his Nobel prize without having to totally understand and be able to manufacture alien tech.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 1:27 PM, Mordobb said:

Overall i don t mind much about game coesiveness in tales ect. But it always nice when the dev looks like they tought the game and did not simply cram the GFX will all kind of buzz, (...)

So what made me fall a bit in love with the original Xcom, despite its problems was that the game was somewhat coese and complete considering tech limitations (...)

I'm not sure to understand, but I, for myself, do mind much about game lore's consistency, and the background/settings. Because we play a sci-fi game, things can be just because the game master tells they are. If what we call lore and background are good enough, I could even play with wooden sticks and pebbles. Well, I used to.

This doesn't imply exaggeratedly developed tomes of written knowledge (xenopedia) or a sophisticated meta-game. The more implicit, transparent, and integrated, the better. And you are right when you say that we have to feel like the game was thought by the dev from the very beginning. I start being frustrated and ousted from the game when more and more small details tell me that what is obvious and implicit to me was not to the dev (and/or beta testers), either by lack of time, means, or thought. What I call "obvious" is certainly what you call "making sense", even if our taste may differ.

Non-Xeno soldiers should benefit from Xenonauts' research a way or another. In Xenonauts-1, they gain laser (tier-2) weapons at a given game advancement. They could also gain tier-2 (Jackal) body armour and have a bit more of HPs (In Xenonauts-1, a zombie's fist kills a soldier), so that they become assets on certain maps. Perhaps, this could be limited to allied nations but not necessarily (things can be complex, like the laser techno spying in Xenonauts-1 for all nations, plus a bonus for trusted allies). Increasing soldiers' HPs wouldn't be that harmful, I think, because they would die in one or two turns from bleeding if the Xenonauts don't heal them, anyways. At least, they could retaliate once.

- You could reshearch alien tech and use it way way before being able to replicate it. So scavenging was usefull especially when a mission was getting smelly. I remember times when scavenging was more important than taking the alien vessel.

This would go well along with the fact of not being too much punished when aborting a mission. Fighting a full squad of war beats on the second month in the game? Have a lucky shot and kill an Alien, rob its weapon and run for the transport craft! Besides research, it would be possible to adapt most of these alien weapons somehow, reshaping frames, adding prosthetic handles, even hijacking some circuits to cut down the number of shots, etc. But they would require some engineering time (you are scraping alien systems, not reusing them right on the battle field), would have less precision ("racial" malus), and perhaps a chance to misfire. Such a practice could occur between each Terran weapon tier. As an addition, we would be dependent on the Alien for the ammo and have to retrieve them on dead Aliens.

Xcom spying on countries allied

But a nation could expel those Xeno spies and feel like offended that a long-time, trusted ally and economic partner comes to such selfish and cynical practice, and calls fealty bounds a reciprocal alliance.:p

early game west / east weaponry, logistic, tech collab didn t make sense.

- Since we are in cold war, the duality jealousy and fear wasn t enought explored.

Xenonauts-2 will take place in a "fantasy" Cold War, but let's remember Able Archer 1983 ,  a time when paranoia could have had dire consequences. What if the Aliens wait for such a climax in international relations to arouse one side and comfort it in its paranoia? But once Xeno is founded (or reactivated), that means that the founders agree for a minimal cooperation a-la SALT treaties (limited number of recruits, amount of funding and equipment each month), no matter the state of Cold War. Until the Aliens pledge more.

Edited by Rodmar18