Jump to content

Recommended Posts

In Xenonauts 1, I miss to recover objects in missions (Crashed UFO or Terror City), to use or sell objects taken in battlefield (like weapons, ufo entertainment, ufo power, grenades, recharge clips, etc). You are able to use it in the mission, but when you return to the base, you will loss it. Why you loss it? Will you be able to recover objects in Xenonauts 2?

The game is very nice.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I enjoyed scavenging alien grenades. I remember there was a lot more of that kind of thing in the original games because you used the same ammo and missiles as the aliens so there was quite a bit of bounty to be had. But I can see why most objects get scrapped immediately - what is the point in holding on to ufo-entertainment if you're ultimately going to sell it anyway!    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely something we can consider. It's pretty easy to change between both ways of doing it, it's just a question of whether more players prefer to have the alien gear sold automatically or whether they'd like to do it themselves from the base stores at a later date!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ninothree said:

 what is the point in holding on to ufo-entertainment if you're ultimately going to sell it anyway!    

hehehe... only to sell and earn some money..   :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the idea of recovering objects and choosing whether to keep or sell. Especially with alien weapons and grenades. Even alien power systems and such.

I would say the simplest solution would be: If the player can use it in some form (even if not the most ideal way)...give it to them, don't auto sell. If it has no in game function for the player...auto-sell it.

 

I'd suggest the same with alien corpses and captives to be honest. 

maybe have different alien leaders and commanders have different info, so random lottery of what your interrogation turns up?  Or other alien classes to get other info? (Alien engineers, medics, navigators/pilots etc.)

Edited by CommissarGeneralClark
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I m all for being able to make the decision to keep or sell.

I enjoyed this a lot but then i am a management kind of.

I also miss some things, but here just that one:

Reshearch to discover hot to use (so you can start to use Alien equipment) until you discover your own way to reproduce it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the original xcom the ability to keep corpses, alien guns and many different alien ship elements(that were pretty useless) was vital and another form of management with money when it came to selling it as it was something you had to pay attention to after missions. Relying on the funding from the council alone was not always enough to give you that much needed boost to buy those extra scientists or manufacture expensive things in the late game. I do wish however that you cant use any alien weaponry on the battlefield that you've picked up until you've researched it. It should say alien artifact like the original. How does a xenonaut know how to use it if they dont know what it is?

Part of the mystery should be not knowing what your fighting against. This would go hand in hand with having to actually research corpses and not having it done automatically after the mission ends providing there is guidance or a simple verbal tutorial along the way of each newly discovered event in the early game until it becomes common place. Curiosity can do wonders.

Edited by roxxed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because it has no use to the player doesn't mean it has no use for other factions.

Who you sell (or give) it to might be important?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 1:03 PM, roxxed said:

Part of the mystery should be not knowing what your fighting against. This would go hand in hand with having to actually research corpses and not having it done automatically after the mission ends providing there is guidance or a simple verbal tutorial along the way of each newly discovered event in the early game until it becomes common place. Curiosity can do wonders.

It's also not very strategic. You'd only need to research the corpses on your first play through because they don't give a gameplay benefit and a player is actually disadvantaging themselves to learn more about their opponents instead of researching some new guns... and second time they play the game, they already know the info and don't need to do it again.

That's why they're automatic in Xenonauts; you get the lore without having to disadvantage yourself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris said:

It's also not very strategic. You'd only need to research the corpses on your first play through because they don't give a gameplay benefit and a player is actually disadvantaging themselves to learn more about their opponents instead of researching some new guns... and second time they play the game, they already know the info and don't need to do it again.

That's why they're automatic in Xenonauts; you get the lore without having to disadvantage yourself.

Fair call as it does waste unnecessary time. Are there any plans to add voice overs in X-2 to bridge certain elements more(like this) and read out item descriptions? Perhaps can be used to give more direction in storytelling and tutorials without creating a huge animation budget. Xcom reboot had the science chick that voiced things in battle and geoscape to acknowledge new things and could prepare you for the next visual cue. 

Edited by roxxed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voiceovers are dependent on how well the game does on Kickstarter / Early Access; they're quite expensive and make the game harder to translate into different languages etc.

I would definitely like to have the little pop-up talking head text snippets that accompanies those voiceovers though, those are pretty easy to do but can add a lot of atmosphere if used appropriately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris said:

Voiceovers are dependent on how well the game does on Kickstarter / Early Access; they're quite expensive and make the game harder to translate into different languages etc.

I would definitely like to have the little pop-up talking head text snippets that accompanies those voiceovers though, those are pretty easy to do but can add a lot of atmosphere if used appropriately.

Sounds great Chris and I'll be in early to back it :) I've had much fun with my last play through of X1 and its in line with improving the story experience as i think it should be more than shooting down craft and focusing on the next biggest gun. The current detailed xenopedia is great for this.

Last question as this thread is getting slightly off topic, If kick starter and pre-sales are good, are there any plans to have a research tree so one can visually connect what preceded it? There seems to be a few main locations of data extraction. 1.) UFO tech 2.) corpses/live aliens 3.) recovered alien artifacts(weapons, misc items). They could be grouped somehow so you can see it coming together as the game progresses and you know acquiring that alien officer led to a new type of craft ect via a linked line with blank space in between to know you still need to find something else to complete it. I love researching in games and its just a thought, I dont ask for much :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roxxed said:

Sounds great Chris and I'll be in early to back it :) I've had much fun with my last play through of X1 and its in line with improving the story experience as i think it should be more than shooting down craft and focusing on the next biggest gun. The current detailed xenopedia is great for this.

Last question as this thread is getting slightly off topic, If kick starter and pre-sales are good, are there any plans to have a research tree so one can visually connect what preceded it? There seems to be a few main locations of data extraction. 1.) UFO tech 2.) corpses/live aliens 3.) recovered alien artifacts(weapons, misc items). They could be grouped somehow so you can see it coming together as the game progresses and you know acquiring that alien officer led to a new type of craft ect via a linked line with blank space in between to know you still need to find something else to complete it. I love researching in games and its just a thought, I dont ask for much :)

Yeah, I would like to have a visual research tree in principle and I've done a few UI concepts for how it could be done - but we'll see how it works out in practice. There are some difficulties compared to most games that use them (which tend to be 4X strategy games where the whole tech tree is known in advance) because most of the research is unknown at the start of the game and some is recovered from the battlefield, so you need new things appearing on the tree all the time etc. It's potentially problematic for modders to use too.

The first incarnation of the Research screen will use the old X1 screen style, likely with the addition of a tabbed layout to better organise the projects. Perhaps that will be updated again in future but we'll have to see how it works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an idea as far as looting vs selling goes:  Either in the research tree, or maybe in the stores, have a check mark set so that if it's checked it gets sold, if it's unchecked it gets stored (or vise versa, that works too).  That way we have control over what gets kept and what just gets vendored at the end of the mission.  The first round of the objects that come in get saved for research, after they populate in your stores you get the option to keep or sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwing in another idea: Deconstruct acquired stuff to craft new equipment out of it before research enables full reverse engineering by Xenonauts. For instance, you recover a small UFO reactor, research team has not found out yet how to build a power source for your improved interceptor prototype but you could patch in the not fully understood loot device. Or dismantle it for contended alenium to be used in building plasma rifles.

Edited by Casaubon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×