Plans for Interceptor/UFO Minigame?

13obo

I loved Xenonauts, but I hated the UFO fighting minigames. 

The reason why I never finished the game was because as the UFOs got harder, the "Autoresolve" option stopped being a viable way of downing UFOs (at least on Veteran Iron Man difficulty). Thus I was technically being forced to play the minigame. For example, in Total War series, the autoresolve option for fighting generally leads to worse performance than if you fight the battles manually, but at least you can get by and I've finished games on Legendary without fighting a single battle. However, this did not apply to Xenonauts.

As such, could you please summarise your view on the future of UFO fights in Xenonauts 2? Will the fight be more streamlined like older UFO games, or will the minigames persist? If you are set on having the minigame (I hope not), could you please make the autoresolve option more viable? Obviously, I understand that you cannot make autoresolve results better than/as good as having the player fight the battles, but at least something that yields better results.

Thank you very much for the consideration!

Edited by 13obo

We're not sure exactly what form the interceptor / UFO air combat will take in Xenonauts-2 yet, mostly because the "air war" in Xenonauts 1 was the biggest single factor in whether you succeeded on the strategy layer or not ... whereas really the game should revolve around the ground combat. As such, the air combat needs to be made less important in the sequel.

How exactly that manifests is not yet know. I've gone through some iterations of the design where interceptors are removed entirely (and the functionality moved elsewhere), and others where they operate quite similarly to in X1. My current thinking is that the system is likely to be like in X1 with interceptors and airbases but many of the ground missions are not spawned by UFOs, preventing the player from shutting down the alien invasion with a wall of interceptors.

As to the actual air combat - at the moment it all works via autoresolve, and I'll worry about the specific mechanics of the player-controlled combat mode once the strategy layer is nailed down. If we do have a minigame then it's unlikely to be much like the one in the original game, and more likely to be something turn-based or just involving giving your aircraft a "stance" or set of orders before battle. Basically, something more strategy-ish rather than arcadey like it was in X1.