Will there be local forces again?

Given the shadow war approach the game seems to be taking, the local forces could be made hostile too. There is a possibility of stealth/non-lethal gameplay, and that could be expanded to local forces as well. Fighting aliens and their henchmen with lethal force, but carrying stun weapons in case the local forces attempt to engage you and the aliens. There was also talk about intelligence gathering being a requirement to missions, and that could be used to tag local forces are enemies or not, and maybe even allies. That way, if acting on weak intel, you might be required to investigate to see if the a unit is a local force or an alien force before killing/subduing. If acting on strong intel, maybe you are able to arrive dressed in their uniforms or something and fool the local forces to work with you. 

Time will tell!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love the NPCs!  Adds another dimension to the game and I always try my best to protect them.  What surprised me most is there are both combative and non-combative NPCs in the missions.  I like seeing the security guard or farmer take out an alien with a shotgun.  Thanks bro!

In one of the other topics someone brought up the idea of factions or at least another clandestine fraction. That might be a good addition to the game especially late/end game. It would setup nicely for another sequel.

On 27.11.2017 at 1:43 PM, Chris said:

The farmers in X1 were actually alarmingly effective at killing aliens :)

I remember this also, and it has quite hilarious; always though the (shotgun-)farmers muttering "Dem darn tooting overgrown locusts!" or something similar whenever they shot down (some) Harriers.

---
---
--- 

Shotgun at close range is, by the commonly accepted laws of gaming, always lethal. Even said shogun is wielded by tartan-wearing NPC farmer. But perhaps if vehicles are coming back in Xenonauts 2 the farmers should be given the option to use combine harvesters to mash aliens into cubes.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2017 at 10:59 AM, bigjackskid said:

i mean what about national militaries, unofficial militias, and other things who arent random civilians.

xenonauts 1 had these, and weren't half bad in the early stages of the game. their AI wasn't that great obviously, but the national military NPCs would use the same ballistic weapons you used. i had a game in which a couple of soldiers pinned down the aliens in their ship, as they moved during the same turn the aliens did and thus would open up on them when the aliens opened their door to reinforce their guys outside. it kept the forces separated and allowed me to hit them in bite sized chunks and come out of that with no casualties to either my guys or the locals and in record time. of course as things scale up starting weapons and armor just doesn't cut it anymore and they become little more than old timey british cops with their whistles.

On 8.1.2018 at 5:24 AM, jamoecw said:

of course as things scale up starting weapons and armor just doesn't cut it anymore and they become little more than old timey british cops with their whistles.

Well, bit a spoiler(s):

Depending which version of the game you have installed, some of the local-military-forces do get their weaponry upgraded at some point of the game:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850497449

This could possibly be a feature in the sequel-game inwhich the players could influence the "majour-powers" by providing secrets and thus fiving the local-forces some upgrades also.
But this is just an idea-musing; nothing confirmed.

---
---
---

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 0:15 PM, Pave said:

Well, bit a spoiler(s):

Depending which version of the game you have installed, some of the local-military-forces do get their weaponry upgraded at some point of the game:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850497449

This could possibly be a feature in the sequel-game inwhich the players could influence the "majour-powers" by providing secrets and thus fiving the local-forces some upgrades also.
But this is just an idea-musing; nothing confirmed.

---
---
---

that is pretty cool. back during X1 development i came up with an idea using local forces for air/radar cover and local ground forces to cordon off and help with the aliens on the ground. the underpinnings of this was a balance between developing for them to boost their capability to handle issues on their own, diverting resources from making your own team strong or to try and blanket the whole globe in coverage. it was amid the discussion about air cover ranges, and how realistic ranges would be much smaller than the original XCOM. i also talked about picking what sort of transport and thus what sort of deployment you wanted. using the traditional (for XCOM) VTOL method or to parachute in a little ways away and fight your way in towards the craft. the VTOL method means the aliens don't get to set up for your arrival, but it also means potentially charging into plasma getting out of the craft, and of course shorter transport ranges for your crack troops. paradrop of course means that the aliens know well ahead of time and can bring what ever big guns to bear (mortar equivalent) while you work your way to them and of course can hit you from range or set up ambushes. it also means more civilians dead and more reliance on local forces. ultimately the game turned out pretty good so i am happy that the idea wasn't picked up on (as doing it wrong could have ruined everything).

i do like the idea of helping out existing forces to combat the aliens, as it just makes a lot of sense lore wise. it isn't like a single (or a couple of) AI trooper is going to help out all too much anyway (at least not consistently).