Dogar230

Will there be local forces again?

10 posts in this topic

I really liked those dudes. They made the game world so much more believable, and helped make Xenonauts feel like it's own game. 

Yeah friendly NPCs haven't really been used in other games in the genre, they're usually just civilians who wander round not doing much or getting in the way. Could be fun to see semi-hostile local forces, like gangs in cities or warlords out in the desert.

Given the shadow war approach the game seems to be taking, the local forces could be made hostile too. There is a possibility of stealth/non-lethal gameplay, and that could be expanded to local forces as well. Fighting aliens and their henchmen with lethal force, but carrying stun weapons in case the local forces attempt to engage you and the aliens. There was also talk about intelligence gathering being a requirement to missions, and that could be used to tag local forces are enemies or not, and maybe even allies. That way, if acting on weak intel, you might be required to investigate to see if the a unit is a local force or an alien force before killing/subduing. If acting on strong intel, maybe you are able to arrive dressed in their uniforms or something and fool the local forces to work with you. 

Time will tell!

1 person likes this

Yeah, we'll have local forces. They may not *always* be friendly but they will be there.

1 person likes this

Will there be local forces who aren't just cannon fodder for the xenos?

The farmers in X1 were actually alarmingly effective at killing aliens :)

i mean what about national militaries, unofficial militias, and other things who arent random civilians.

I love the NPCs!  Adds another dimension to the game and I always try my best to protect them.  What surprised me most is there are both combative and non-combative NPCs in the missions.  I like seeing the security guard or farmer take out an alien with a shotgun.  Thanks bro!

In one of the other topics someone brought up the idea of factions or at least another clandestine fraction. That might be a good addition to the game especially late/end game. It would setup nicely for another sequel.

On 27.11.2017 at 1:43 PM, Chris said:

The farmers in X1 were actually alarmingly effective at killing aliens :)

I remember this also, and it has quite hilarious; always though the (shotgun-)farmers muttering "Dem darn tooting overgrown locusts!" or something similar whenever they shot down (some) Harriers.

---
---
--- 

Shotgun at close range is, by the commonly accepted laws of gaming, always lethal. Even said shogun is wielded by tartan-wearing NPC farmer. But perhaps if vehicles are coming back in Xenonauts 2 the farmers should be given the option to use combine harvesters to mash aliens into cubes.