Grenades suggestion.

I bought Xenonaughts last week, and already spent 30 hours playing - I'm really enjoying it.

However, I find the way grenades work to be a little frustrating, to say the least. I've no idea how one supposed to play Ironman mode, when an attack on alien base can end when some alien decides to throw a grenade at you. And suddenly, your soldier(s) is(are) dead instantly and there's nothing you can do about it, besides just watching them die.

I have a suggestion for the second game, that may help with this.

What if there was a mechanics that allows units to take cover from frag grenades that land under their feet - if a unit have enough reflexes and some TU's left, then similarly to reaction fire, they can spend those TU's to automatically run away from the explosion. This will help against enemy grenades, and also can be used as a tactical move - throw a grenade at the aliens, who huddled in a corner inside UFO, they try to run out (because obviously no one wants their legs to get blown off), and expose themselves to fire.

Edited by Kligan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the suggestion if it could somehow be implemented, like you said, with reflexes and TUs, however you should also think of this as a tactical liability as well.  There are several reasons I can think of that it really doesn't make sense to implement.

1) From a tactical perspective, its a bad idea to group all your personnel together so they could be taken out with a single grenade.  It's the risk you take moving units in narrow passages too closely together.

2) Milking / Proximity detonation is another factor.  The alien technology could be advanced enough to recognize the proximity of a humanoid or the grenade could have been milked (milking a grenade is pulling the pin and releasing the handle then throwing the grenade after X secs typically 2 or 3).  Milking is quite common actually and we had to actually practice it in basic training.

In my opinion, the current setup works fine, however I can see that feature being something that once again sets Xenonauts apart from other games in this genre.

• 1 month later...

i am not sure if prone is planned to be in the game or not, but maybe the reaction could be to go prone, assuming the people see the grenade. this would mean that going prone reduces damage to you from splash damage. if the enemy can just run away from a grenade due to reaction fire then tossing a nade into an enemy hole could have them running into the middle of your men bypassing their reaction fire. if your men react then there could be a lot of friendly fire in that case. having things move for reaction can be fidly to balance and get right, especially if it is AI controlled.