Gameconfig.xml/Weapons_gc.xml - not loading 100%

endersblade

So I created my own mod, and am going one file at a time changing things.  Gameconfig.xml, I changed the starting money, base layout, and soldier stats.  Money and base layout changes took place just fine, however the soldier stats are still pulling from XCE.  Do I need to put a modmerge line in here?  Why is it just this one section that isn't overwriting XCE?

All previous files edited so far (buildings, aircrafts, aircraftweapons, etc) have shown up just fine.  But for some reason that one section in Gameconfig.xml isn't.

Edit:  Hmm, weapons_gc isn't either.  Or, most of it isn't...I changed the ammo values of all the weapons, including weapons.xml to match.  The basic pistol's ammo has updated, but none of the others did.  The show correctly at the Geoscape, but not in Battle.  I've used Modmergeattribute "name" and modmerge "update" on the weapons and ammos in weapons_gc.xml.  If I copy/paste it to the XCE folder, it shows up ingame, but not in my mod.

Why does the game seem to pick and choose which part of each file to load?  Why does XCE override only PARTS of the .xml files rather than all of it?  What am I doing wrong?

Edited by endersblade

Well after poking around (like it sounds you are) for a bit I realized that the easiest way for me to do what you are looking for was to:

1. Write down your mod load order (Modding tools when launching the game and sort by the first column, write down 1 thru whatever, 1 has highest priority, 2 is second, etc)

2. Do a file search in the <your path here>\Xenonauts\assets sub-folder for the file you want to amend, gameconfig.xml for example.

3. Tip. Make a backup copy of EVERY file before you amend it so you can undo any mistakes (my version of excel doesn't play well with the XML spreadsheet files... and yeah I was glad I did this) by restoring the original file.

4. Look at what mods the gameconfig.xml file shows up in and look at them in your mod load order.

4.1. The highest mod on that list will overwrite anything before it so it is irrelevant to look further for anything specific that mod touches. (example: your #1 mod is the "Warren Buffett" mod of 10,000,000 starting money. That mod has a gameconfig.xml file and in that file you see (using something like Notepad++) <startingMoney value="10000000" comment="The Xenonaut funds on new game start (before buying first base)" />

4.2. Change the 10000000 in the quotes to whatever number you want it to be. If you don't find what you are looking for, it isn't changed by this mod, go to the next file in your search based on next mod in your load order that has that file.

4.3. If you get to the file in the \Xenonauts\assets folder... that is the game's original file. Amend that to what you want.

I am sure there is a better way, but mine works well if you are diligent about details.

Side note, I would advise being careful about being snarky, "24 views and not a single comment?" as that will get taken the wrong way by up to billions of people. Anyway I hope you get/got what you needed!

I figured it all out.  I started by copying the original files from XCE that I needed into my mod folder, deleted all the info in each file that I didn't want to change, and then just need to put the relevant modmerge lines/combinations in where they were needed.  Mod works fine now.

9 hours ago, Baracous said:

I am sure there is a better way, but mine works well if you are diligent about details.

Make your own mod, put it on top, change the things you want to change. It will always have the highest priority and you dont have to care what lower priority ones are doing. In your example you can make your own mod, create the modinfo.xml, copy the gameconfig.xml from XCE, delete all other lines than the starting money, and change the value to what you want to have it. Voíla, done.

9 hours ago, Baracous said:

Side note, I would advise being careful about being snarky, "24 views and not a single comment?" as that will get taken the wrong way by up to billions of people. Anyway I hope you get/got what you needed!

Had a snarky reply to the OP but realised it would only spark some flames so wasnt worth it.