More weapons

oracle1990

Damn superpowers and their secret development things! Wouldn't surprise me if the nuke was actually a prototype of the American Revolution, only to be shelved when they realized they'd win without it.

That would surprise me since the American revolution predates Marie Curie and her research by more then a century. Unless ofc she secretly made a timemachine and traveled back in time to kill an American colonist that was about to have been worse then Hitler.

What make you think that you are using the newest technology? In example the newst car, computer, multimedia, cellphone and so on.

Reasearch and development is "light years" ahead of what you can buy. When the marked is saturated a "new" develeopment is inroduced and then everybody has to get the new gadgets, until marked is saturated (or your wallet is almost sucked dry). The true circle of life.

A good theory in these settings...

That theory only applies to personal use technology though, not military tech?

The gear provided to troops isn't the newest and best available.

It is generally the newest and best that is available at a reasonable price.

Example that springs to mind is body armour.

There is better body armour available than the current military standard issue but it is too expensive and 'untested' to be used.

Bit off topic, but I hope that they balance the game in a way that we are forced to use these normal/traditional weapons for a long time before being able to research/produce energy weapons...

The way it is now, in a couple of hours you already have the laser weapons.

The laser weapons aren't the same as x-com either though.

They are a second tier of four rather than that one you sometimes use when you don't have enough alien weapons lying around.

You also have to take into account construction of all your own ammo and inability to sell for profit.

You may have access to them early on but be unable to field them, at least for your whole squad, until you build up your income.

You also have to take into account construction of all your own ammo and inability to sell for profit.

Just a thought (should have been in another tread though) - development and producing ailen technology only for sale, not weapons but only commercial... Would give other options in research and you would have a new strategy in manefacturing; Weapons or "money-makers".

It would only be a strategy if you couldn't do both.

If you can set up a base somewhere that just churns out money then the game loses some of the focus on defending your funding nations.

If you can make as much as you could in the original with a couple of workshops churning out laser cannon then you might as well make sim factory :P

That would surprise me since the American revolution predates Marie Curie and her research by more then a century. Unless ofc she secretly made a timemachine and traveled back in time to kill an American colonist that was about to have been worse then Hitler.

I wasn't exactly being serious. With that in mind though, one can't rule out time machines! Your theory is indeed neat, only because it reminds me of Red Alert :P

I am hardly using any of the newest tech, by the way. My cellphone is a few years old, my computer has almost ten years to it's name and I don't even own a car. But I agree, the theory is nice. Guessing slug throwers will be pretty obsolete by late-game though, at least the conventional ones.

I see no reason why the game shouldn't be possible to play using starting tech for awhile. I'm currently playing a new game of UFO:ET and the majority of my tech is still the starting equipment. That's because I decided to invest in base infrastructure and can't afford to devote many resources towards upgrading gear.

5 months into the game:

4 bases, 21 hangers, one upgraded transport, 19 interceptors, expanded labs and workshops and improved radar systems are what ate up all of my money/research/manufacturing. I've finally gotten to the point where I can afford to research armor for the men and build better cannons for the interceptors.

The soldiers have no special gear except for a motion detector and some mind shields (protection from psionics). They also had very short lifespans until I started using cheap tanks to absorb the losses. I often have to make two trips and lose 3 or so tanks to clear an alien fighter wreck. The scouts I can usually handle without losses by using the two tanks and a motion detector to locate enemies at a distance. A soldier with an assault rifle takes out some of the aliens from a distance and the tanks mop up the rest.

My preference for game balance is to have the economy setup where it's not possible to equip a large team with the best gear. Players get the choice between a large force and assorted low quality gear or a small squad armed with the very best.