The Panic Spiral: If We All Just Stand Still the Badguys Can't See Us!

So I just reacted to my first terror mission in the campaign, and it didn't go so well. I lost several squaddies trying to leave the chopper, as there's seven reptilian aliens hunkered down around it pouring fire on us. I managed to kill a few on the first turn, so there was still a strong chance I'd be able to make it through this.

Second turn starts, every single one of my soldiers but one panics. He takes a shot at one of the aliens, misses, okay. Just had to hope for better luck next turn.

Aliens kill another soldier. Third turn starts. Every single one of my troops is now panicked or fleeing. I lose another troop on the third alien turn. My fourth turn starts. Every one of my troops is still panicking or fleeing. Fifth turn, sixth turn, etc, etc ..

(I'm posting this here on the general discussion forum and not on the bug forum because this is clearly just a balancing issue, and we're not in the balancing phase right now. Just thought it funny and wanted to share my experience :))

More than just balancing the morale levels (which is for the future), it might have helped if there was a Berserk chance instead of just Panic and Flee. Something that causes them to spend all their APs taking wild potshots at the nearest thing they perceive as an enemy. If just a couple of my guys had been making return fire, there's a chance we could've dug ourselves out of this.

Though obviously it's still not a good thing when the player has zero control over the situation and everything's up to random chance. Yeah, balancing. Can't wait.

If morale effects didn't remove control from the player completely it would have given you a chance to recover.

That is one of my pet hates in games.

It is like the old daoc days of 2 minute mez leaving you just standing there watching while your whole group was picked off one at a time.

Too busy executing guys like this:

(THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED TO ME)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1163[/ATTACH]

I can't tell whats happening in this screenshot mr pankaces sir.

More than just balancing the morale levels (which is for the future), it might have helped if there was a Berserk chance instead of just Panic and Flee. Something that causes them to spend all their APs taking wild potshots at the nearest thing they perceive as an enemy. If just a couple of my guys had been making return fire, there's a chance we could've dug ourselves out of this.

This made me think of supression fire. What if supression fire didn't do anything to movement, ap or line of sight but instead forces your soldiers (and enemies) on their next turn to return fire on whoever is supressing them? The game would make your soldiers automatically shoot back towards the aliens, leaveing you with scraps of AP to try to move out of the way. You would be unable to use grenades or aimed shots, but you wouldn't be completly locked down. (Dunno what to do about rocketlauncher guys? make them drop their rocketlauncher, possibly after unloading it, on the ground if they are supressed?) As a player supressing the aliens you could also draw fire from that soldier you left exposed far to close to the enemy line...

Most likely people aren't going to agree with this idea, but I thought it to be interesting.

Edited by Gorlom

I'm not familiar with the game so I still can't tell what I should be seeing. is the powergenerator that red glowy thing infront of your soldiers? I assume the blue thing is representing what your camera is seeing and the white bars are your squads?