"How to get Reaper Hive in game?" pondering thread

So yeah, its already said that reaper hive won't be in the game, but even then I feel obliged to try even if it is impossible, so no need to point that out.

I personally want reaper hive in the game because... Well, let's face it, closest thing to alien hive in XCOM type games is Alien Dimension in Apocalypse. And thats it. For some reason, none of XCOM type games have done alien hive. When you think about it, original XCOM series is only one with alien inspired by titular monster of movie Alien(Chrysalid, Tentaculat which was basically floating one eyed tentacle brain chrysalid and brainsucker which filled role of Chrysalid for Apoycalypse), but no alien hive from Alien 2.

So yeah, I'm sad people didn't vote alien hive high enough because it would have been unique mission in ALL xcom type games.

But yeah, we already proposed that Reaper Hive tileset could be indestructible(there are plenty of ways to explain that and it would make sense story wise too, I mean, in Alien 2 whole movie would have been over if they had decided to nuke hive from orbit earlier :P No point sending squad to almost certain death if you can just nuke the reaper hive, so having it somehow be damage resistant would work), but that isn't apparently enough for it to be included in game.

There have also been suggested that reaper hive tileset could be combined with human base tileset(like aliens building hive there/taking it over/kinda like zerg infested bases in starcraft) meaning that you can just recycle most of tiles from human base and add few new ones.

I personally would prefer full hive, but human base hive would still be great.

Third suggestion so far has been that it could be dlc. But developers aren't interested in doing dlc and let's face it, if reaper hive is dlc, it won't be like... Well, if you buy reaper hive dlc, you know what you are getting, but if its in game and you haven't spoiled game for yourself, you are going to be surprised by such mission if you know what I mean.

But yeah, if anybody has any great ideas about what could make Reaper Hive tileset viable for developers to put in game, please tell them here even if you don't believe its realistic to happen.

The tileset isn't the issue. I'm sure someone could make one and add it to the game without a problem. It's engine support that's critical. If the code-base isn't there to permit spawning nodes for reapers then it's not possible to add it to the game unless someone capable enough to modify the game engine does it.

Labor isn't a problem for a modding community. If modders are interested in creating new tilesets they will do so. Doing a reaper tileset would be especially viable since it the difference in visual style could be glossed over due to its alien nature. I suspect the work could be done using mostly open source software. The modeling and rendering could probably be done in Sketchup.

The two things that do stop modders are the lack of development tools and engine limitations. If Goldhawk releases their development tools after the game is launched then the only hurdles remaining are within the game engine itself.

The reason for not nuking the alien hive is because there's civilians there (let's assume this)! They were abducted for experiments and stuff... So the Xenonauts must go there, rescue them and blast the hive from it's core!

How is that a reason for not nuking the place? Do we get paid for saving them or something?

How is that a reason for not nuking the place? Do we get paid for saving them or something?

Yes of course, we're not good samaritans!!!

Maybe influent politicians are being held prisioners, commanders, don't know... It was just an explanation for not nuking the hive, so we must go there...

I'm thinking there'd be research material to take, perhaps some way to figure out their breeding cycle so you can slow them down or assess the threat.

The nuclear option would be the absolute last resort, and almost out of the question (until things get utterly out of control) if said hive is located under a major city! The Xenonauts would want to get down there and take care of the problem before any bombing is necessary, or it would be seen as a major failure on their part. They're trying to prove themselves to the world community and that's a dirty job.

I suggested the human base being taken over by an alien hive in the other thread, mainly because it reduced the number of tiles needed.

You could add maybe a dozen overlap tiles for other tilesets to make it really varied.

A set of city overlap tiles, alien base overlap tiles, industrial overlap, and so on.

By that I mean some partially covered wall or floor tiles etc.

You might be doing a normal terror mission and come across a small hive in a building spawning reapers.

Or a friendly base being corrupted that you need to clear.

The spawns would have to be destructible though or it would make the mission a little tough :P

*edit* Just remembered there are decals in the tile folders, maybe a decal with transparent parts could be made instead that would sit over existing tiles as an overlap.

I'm very sorry that hive mission won't be in the game (really liked the idea). But in the end more tileset and more map variety will surely be better for the game itself.

I also do not think that DLC will be very successful with this type of game.

In my opinion the only option to have hive missions would be:

• Tileset are community generated
  • The engine is updated by Goldhawk to manage the infinite spawning/civilian rescue objectives

I do not think that it will be an easiliy achievable objective.

I suggested the human base being taken over by an alien hive in the other thread, mainly because it reduced the number of tiles needed.

You could add maybe a dozen overlap tiles for other tilesets to make it really varied.

A set of city overlap tiles, alien base overlap tiles, industrial overlap, and so on.

By that I mean some partially covered wall or floor tiles etc.

You might be doing a normal terror mission and come across a small hive in a building spawning reapers.

Or a friendly base being corrupted that you need to clear.

The spawns would have to be destructible though or it would make the mission a little tough :P

*edit* Just remembered there are decals in the tile folders, maybe a decal with transparent parts could be made instead that would sit over existing tiles as an overlap.

My thoughts exactly!

I love the idea of the hive map I just don't like the idea of infinite spawning enemies.

If the reaper has a similar ability to the chrysalid then I would start them in various areas and have lots of caged civilians around.

Think of the humans trapped in the walls of the hive in Aliens.

If you are too slow then you will end up fighting a huge number as they turn the humans into more of themselves.

That has the advantage of not needing a respawn mechanic adding as well.

I personally prefer playing games vanilla so I can't accept the "Don't worry, someone will mod it in anyway" as consolation. Really, I only mod games if they add something removed from original game or if mod really is better game than original game.

But yeah, I'm not sure why civilians in alien hives wouldn't been turned into reapers already.

I guess you could do combination of alien hive and alien base mission by having alien base located inside a hive, but yeah. On the "Doing research on hives" idea, that would still mean that after one research mission you could just blow up rest of them, I mean alien bases have that as reason that they probably have fleet guarding it or anti air or you need to capture alien commander, but reaper hive is hive full of creatures that breed rapidly.

So yeah, when the game is released and if we haven't figured out a way for them to put it in, I will pretty much give up on this.

Vanilla only? The best games are the 5-10 year old ones that have been loaded with tons of extra goodies! Professionals can't do a lot of the things accomplished by modders and still remain profitable. Usually games are released with just enough features to be considered a complete game and that's about it.

Most of mods feel... Well, most of them have different feeling to vanilla game. For example, I play Fallout 2 with restoration mod, but certain parts feel like maker of mod added lines himself because removed parts in game didn't have the dialog in files and you can tell it.

I mean, mods can be good and stuff, but usually they either just add more stuff to game(which isn't that interesting usually) or they change the way game plays so much that you could as well play different game. Its... Hard to explain. Anyway, nothing is wrong with mods, I just prefer vanilla. Besides, mods aren't accessible to everyone, so if Reaper Hive would just be mod, it wouldn't be something common with all Xenonaut players, it wouldn't be something you would mention in reviews or what you would mention Xenonaut to have that no other XCOM clone has.

We could figure out any number of ways but it is incredibly unlikely to make it in as a core part of the game.

Chris has other things he wants to add in before this so even if it was incredibly quick and easy to do those other things would take priority.

As long as it doesn't overly change the game then it would be fine as a mod for me.

I would have said adding it as an optional, but less common type of terror mission.

I.E. the aliens have taken up residence in the sewer system and are striking out from there.