Why female soldiers

yeah, you tell 'em! It will be a taint on us, on our children, on our children's children, on our childre.... well, it would be if we had any women in the Xenonaut world. As it stands, it will be a taint on us until we die off...
Thothkins could you make your avatar shirt red? ;)

I agree with TNR. While I obviously want the best "game" (in terms of mechanics, variety, etc.), I think the omission of female soldiers would be such a big and obvious missing feature that it's just asking to be called out in every review, etc., and also to piss off female (and some male) gamers, so it seems like worth striving to add in if possible. Plus, I would think that if Earth were really under threat, the best and brightest, regardless, would be called in to save the planet! Having women in the game would make it more enjoyable, too - as other posters have posted, I name soldiers in X-Com and JA2 after friends, including women, and that just makes the game more fun and immersive.

If it can be partially financed by, say, adding in some sort of additional term of Kickstarter funding - maybe a new $200 tier that's announced concurrently with the announcement of a "Female soldiers can be in the game!" stretch goal and that permits the backer to add in a woman soldier/picture/name (so the equivalent of the current $200 but as a direct means to both populate the female soldier database and pay for it in part, too), maybe that's something. Keep it limited to 15-20 and you've raised another $3k-4k...

Edited by Kilrathi

well can you blame them..

'Forty Xenonaut fans flagellated in front of The Times office this morning, ruing their descent into misogyny. Wrapped around each of their waists was a Xenonauts T-Shirt. A T-Shirt that may have already been red before being soaked with blood. When asked for a comment a spokesman (no women allowed) said "Oh, the taint! The taint!" Developers Goldhawk could not be reached for comment as they huddled behind the shutters of their Gentlemen's Club.'

How could they not report that?

Honestly I don't have an issue either way.

If the female soldiers can be added without causing financial meltdown then fantastic.

In general I feel that the current ground sprites are a little too obviously male but, as I have said before, that might just be because I know they are supposed to be male and just struggle to see them as potential females.

It is graphics from Xenonauts, V 10.21 ... ;)

Actually isn't that a sample image from the spriteforge software Goldhawk use?

http://www.d-grafix.com/?page=spriteforge

Yes it is a sample image and the spriteforge creators are quite protective over it, might be best to make sure it isn't still lost in the game structure somewhere.

Edited by Gauddlike

Personally, I am not convinced on the idea of female soldiers. Not because I don't want to see female soldiers in the game, but it will take away an element of realism. Let's be real here, according to Wiki the SAS and American Delta Forces only recruit male soldiers and that is 2012???

What hope did women have in 1979 at becoming fighting soldiers let alone the progress at being the best of the best. I agree with some of the other comments to focus on other parts of the games. Or introduce female soldiers later on in the game after an event trigger. Then at least it might be believable. My 2 cents

Female soldiers add nothing to the gameplay.

Developers should not spend funds on it as the portraits can be fairly easy made as a mod.

Just my opinion, do not throw rocks!

People have been throwing rocks at other people for voicing their opinion since ancient times. Since you ask, though, I shall make an exception and introduce you to fancy new rotten eggs technology.

1) X-com has female soldiers - remake should have them too (SAS, real world army be damned, not same universe)

2) All female team kicks ass (silly of course, but i am sure everyone made one in any game that allow for both gender units)

3) if a 1994? game can have female units, expectations are female units in 2012 are higher resolution! (having none is a huge step backward!)

4) Fear for your troops is a common element every time you go into ground combat. Having female soldiers make your male egos feel good to keep them alive. (i made female soldiers into snipers and kept them alive)

5) I actually hesitated and reconsider buying the game when i saw it was going to have 0 female soldiers (If i have to wait for the mod community, then maybe i should wait for the warez community as well?)

6) While I applaud the faithfulness to the original game, having female soldiers was one of its original features. RTS games barely draw on this until early 2000, and only as hero units(eye candy, not regular grunts)

7) Adding female portraits and a list of female name to generate is not very time consuming. It'd be a tribute to how the original game head swapped their sprites to have female units.

none of that holier than thou sexism talk, just a gamer ranting about a nostalgic value of a game series he loved.

1) X-com has female soldiers - remake should have them too (SAS, real world army be damned, not same universe)

2) All female team kicks ass (silly of course, but i am sure everyone made one in any game that allow for both gender units)

3) if a 1994? game can have female units, expectations are female units in 2012 are higher resolution! (having none is a huge step backward!)

4) Fear for your troops is a common element every time you go into ground combat. Having female soldiers make your male egos feel good to keep them alive. (i made female soldiers into snipers and kept them alive)

5) I actually hesitated and reconsider buying the game when i saw it was going to have 0 female soldiers (If i have to wait for the mod community, then maybe i should wait for the warez community as well?)

6) While I applaud the faithfulness to the original game, having female soldiers was one of its original features. RTS games barely draw on this until early 2000, and only as hero units(eye candy, not regular grunts)

7) Adding female portraits and a list of female name to generate is not very time consuming. It'd be a tribute to how the original game head swapped their sprites to have female units.

none of that holier than thou sexism talk, just a gamer ranting about a nostalgic value of a game series he loved.

My personal guess is female portraits will come 4/5 on the survey. This would make it the 175/200k goal.. which is where is was set originally. I think Chris knew it would be great to have them in the game, but making a better game for them to be in would be even more awesome!

If it is just portraits and doesn't take the time and effort a full set of sprites would take then I am for it.

If I do find the lack of difference between the sprites to be too jarring I can always edit an xml file or two and remove the female names/faces.

Much easier to do it that way than the other way round.

If Chris can add a hook in there somewhere so that modders can easily attach a separate animation to a trooper (depending on a flag that can be set along with the name maybe) to represent gender then so much the better.

Women were important for me in X-Com because they added a level of drama, the idea of humanity putting prejudice aside and calling upon all nations, races and genders to fight for Earth's survival.

I really wanted them in Xenonauts as well though I ended up voting them pretty low in the stretch goals poll as ultimately they're not that important gameplay wise nor are they as appropriate in a Cold War setting as they might be in a futuristic one (such as X-Com's).

Female soldiers add nothing to the gameplay.

Developers should not spend funds on it as the portraits can be fairly easy made as a mod.

Just my opinion, do not throw rocks!

I couldn't agree more!

Adds nothing to gameplay, whereas going Berserk adds, and it was in the original game and it's not in this one...

OK i have just been out drinking a beer and doing some dancing in a nightclub. Now i am convinced there should be NO female soldiers in Xenonauts. And no male either. People of both gender are fucking retarded and should be locked away.

Come Alien horde! Come with your flaming sky wagons and rid this world of humanity and of her own misery. Come with a new word and a new dawn.

Suddenly i realize that the "Cult of sirius" was just misanthropy made religious. Now where is my fancy green body suit?

Ok fine, its not realistic to have females in the most superior elite fighting force in the world. But then again its not real its a game. Maybe some females in the base UI pictures also? And i would really like female civies.

The way female solider are implemented i guess its not a terrible workload on anyone else than the portrait guy. And i would suppose they could easily be modded out of the game for the ones who want this to be a guy thing.

So no problem for me atleast. Thanks for giving me some opinions!