Shooting accuracy

X-COM 1 - burst shooting was the choice, really good accuracy

X-COM Apocalypse - accuracy was terrible, the choice was to walk very near to the alien and then shoot him from blank distance

Xenonauts - quiet bad accuracy, i takes almost all the team to kill one alien in one turn, while many times if a civilian or a soldier stays not so near to the line of fire he gets shot (and often dies).

I would suggest shooting would be more accurate, only the body part what would be shot would tell the percentage the shot deals damage. You could aim for head/body/arms/legs.

Head would receive 100% damage but would be difficult to hit (like 20% hit, 5% hit body instead, 75% miss)

Body would be easy to hit but would be really armored on many aliens thus reducing damage largely (like 70% hit, 1% hit head instead, 2% hit arms instead, 2% hit legs instead, 25% miss)

Arms would not do a lot of damage to the alien but would largely affect its ability of firing (30% hit, 25% hit body instead, 45% miss)

Legs quiet a lot of damage, affects the ability of the alien to move (50% hit, 10% hit body instead, 40% miss)

Do you know you can right click (or use the scroll wheel) when you've got the crosshair up to add more AP to make a more accurate shot?

Crouching also improves accuracy.

As for using the entire team, give your team members some Precision Rifles or Machineguns. The M16 does pitful damage on single shot mode.

Do you know you can right click (or use the scroll wheel) when you've got the crosshair up to add more AP to make a more accurate shot?

I knew that.

Crouching also improves accuracy.

I didn't know that

As for using the entire team, give your team members some Precision Rifles or Machineguns. The M16 does pitful damage on single shot mode.

I didn't know about the damage difference, those letters are so tiny I didn't see them.

Nevertheless I think the missed shots should go past the alien one tile or so and not end 8 tiles away.

The accuracy is not finetuned yet. Balanceing will largely happen in the Beta.

Accuracy has been reduced recently though and iirc lots of forum goesrs thought it a change for the better.

PS. In the modding subforum you can get tips on how to play with the values in the game xml files to try out different settings and letting other people try them before Chris makes any changes..

Nevertheless I think the missed shots should go past the alien one tile or so and not end 8 tiles away.

THe game used to have narrower spread. It caused problems where misses would acctually hit because it ended up in the target tile anyway. (or something)

It also worked like that in the original so its a bit of a nod back to that game.

Edited by Gorlom

Unless you were aiming at their feet, shots wouldn't land one tile behind them on a miss. :)

Crouching makes a huge difference w/ assault rifles and Sniper rifles. That said I find myself getting the most kills with snipers, shotties, and rocket launchers compared to assault rifles.

I didn't know about the damage difference, those letters are so tiny I didn't see them.

The stats in the soldier equip screen are wrong anyway (controlled by weapons.xml), whereas the actual damage they do in combat is located in weapons_gc.xml. So, look up weapons_gc.xml in the assets folder if you want to get an idea of the damage done by the guns.

I should probably bug report that.

The stats in the soldier equip screen are wrong anyway (controlled by weapons.xml), whereas the actual damage they do in combat is located in weapons_gc.xml. So, look up weapons_gc.xml in the assets folder if you want to get an idea of the damage done by the guns.

I should probably bug report that.

Probably. You're so damn lazy Buzzles!

• 3 months later...