Kickstarter $200+ tiers?

His name is Tubby McChubbles. Hes second on the 6th page of backers.

Shouldn't you make some kind of update to recognize how much people have pledged already? Keeping up with the kickstarter on kickstarter will probably incite undecided to pledge.

(Granted you have keept up in the comments but I think an update would be effective.)

Think he has gone to bed now. But I bet he will update in the morning.

Perhaps you could send him a mail with what you think would be appropriate, or with the idea so he sees it before it gets bumped.

Chris has been in talks with GOG and others today.. think he has been taken by surprise a bit, at the speed of the pledges.

FYI, Im sad and happy you didnt go with my idea of adding a 250 tier with the custom stats. When I was in Service I was a marksman and the 2nd fastest runner in the division. I would love to have my personal avatar reflect that. As it is I was 1 of the $200 pledgers! :)

I think the update would need to be spontanious and come from him. I kinda expected it to go this well with a low goal, so anything I come up with wouldn't be very spontanious :P

That beeing said he most likely reads it all anyway. I mean he even picked up on McChubbles that was beifly mentioned in the "kickstarter goes live! " thread :P

How about:

1. For 1000+ help naming and designing a soldier medal, and have your soldier picture and name referenced in the description (i.e. The first ever soldier to receive this medal was DrAtomic for his bravery shown in the battle of bla bla bla).

2. Tank skins, per input of the donator?

3. Vehicles or building signs in game with your name in it, i.e. DrAtomic Pharmacy delivery truck or DrAtomic's Pharmacy.

4. Hollywood tileset with tiles with donators names (i.e. in game walk of fame) as an additional reward tier around 150 mark.

Jup all art im afraid.

Ps. also in the higher tiers it's not clear if you are getting the previous tiers too.

- Sigantured limited edition boxed version at 500 each (or 700 if you include tier 200 rewards on it), limit the number of copies to say 100. I'm sure at 500 a piece can more than cover the costs even if just a few of them are picked up. A lot of players are suckers for boxed versions.

- For the billboards idea, one possibility is to add additional things to make it worth more, like

-- if the billboard is an advert to keep someone in office, add a statue of said person as a possible decorative item in a city battlefield in a certain are of the world

-- if it is for a grocery store, add a possibility of having one of the stores in an encounter

-- if it is for a big company, fight can be in their factory, or offices etc...

The pledger may opt to provide the logo for the company if he wishes with your final word. This kind of stuff could easily be priced really high.

Edited by Linque

Well I don't think the really high tiers (500+) are something you should worry about at this early stage, they really are for a rare group people with a lot of expendable income, the vast majority of people will be in at $200 or less.

I would imagine that the $100-150 teirs should become popular once the $200 teir hits its limit. The way I see it is that many people who had 100-150 in mind as their pledge limit would have been tempted to put in that little bit more to hit the $200 mark as it is something really special and the highest level of the "normal" teirs.

I can imagine you must be tired - I would definitely second the idea of making an update on the kickstarter site about the progress, thanks, etc. :)

My refined thoughts on tier upgrades:

$75: event text limited to a town and some aspect/event in that town that stands out. still personal but not a name. add in the digital PDF (doesn't cost you anything - this tier promotes more money with no physical goods, yay)

$175 or $200 alternative 2: custom aircraft decals and pilot name + swag - so a custom icon and a name in game. (optional 20-50)

$350: a custom in game sign (personal) + $200 tier.

$500: add a large (24"x36"?) signed HQ lithograph print of a piece of artwork of their choice (jet, chinook, promo art)

$1000: add a custom in game sign (company, if thematically appropriate) or $500+$350

Stretch goals (that I want at least):

female soldiers

(sprint)/move/crouch/crawl animations. at the very least have a stationary prone position and a crouching animation (moving on roofs, along hedges, etc.)

there seems to be a lot of people in KS comments wanting a box. /shrug to more stuff to store/etc for me, but that could be an option for mid-range tiers. maybe wait on it a bit and see if people will upgrade on a stretch. you could also save the $75 and $175 ones for that to try and pull people up a bit, but put the higher incentives in right now.

Edited by erutan

It does say "As $###, plus..." for every $200+ tier. How would you propose to make it clearer?

Aye, I was just coming back that after three times of reading it turned out that I was reading over it. It might be me but for some reason I've gotten accustomed to the closing sentence this reward also includes the previous tiers.

I also think I know why i read over it. When I read that I want to know what cool reward this tier is all about; so I skip the part that says as $xxx.

The corporate type advertisement thing would have to be cold war appropriate though...

:( That sucks all the fun out of it.

:confused:What is cold war appropriet btw? Does it need to fit the style or do you just want to prevent Hellstormer from advertising his particular brand of plasma pistols and vibroknives?

Aye, I was just coming back that after three times of reading it turned out that I was reading over it. It might be me but for some reason I've gotten accustomed to the closing sentence this reward also includes the previous tiers.

I also think I know why i read over it. When I read that I want to know what cool reward this tier is all about; so I skip the part that says as $xxx.

Would adding it to the FAQ help or would most people ovrlok that as well?

Chris should probably add some standard things about pledgeing on kickstarter in the FAQ. I've seen one guy wondering where his code for the game was and one guy asking if he could pile several donations on kickstarter ontop of each other already. (Apparantly we are drawing in a new crowd, YAY!)

Edited by Gorlom

Hey Chris, would you happen to know if anybody from Finland has donated to get their nationality in game? I don't myself have money to donate that much.

I'm not really patriotic or anything (I don't really ever put bases in Finland except as joke), but there IS certain novelty in being able to have chars from same country as yourself.

Honestly, thats probably the reason why 200 tier is so popular. I mean, its only one with nationality in game, right? You could have put nationality in game to lower tiers considering that it basically just amounts to text anyway.

Edited by XenoMask

Xenomask: That is easily moddable by yourself. Or do you want other people to end up playing with Finnish troops? Have you checked to see if the Xtended soldier information mod includes Finnish soldiers? Imo that mod seems likely it could become included in the official release down the line.

I think there should be a $10,000 tier reward. Chris and jullian Gollup will have dinner with you. They will both take an autograph picture with you. Also jullian should be paided a $2,000 fee for the appearance.

$50,000 reward tier: julian gollup will be hired for 6 months to help finish xenonauts. You will be able to sit at the design round table with julian and Chris and your ideas can be added to game if both designers like your idea. The $50,000 should be paided entirely to Jullian for his full time desgin and programmer work on Xenonauts.

@Gorlom - well say (wildly) Microsoft wants to have an advert for Windows 7 smartphones or something. that wouldn't really fit as the product didn't exist then - they could however put up an advert for the new MS DOS as that could probably be considered "close enough".

a more general business would be easier (something that existed back then as an industry, or a name that isn't iconic to this era). you could have Hellstormer's awesome weapon emporium, or delicate baked goods or whatnot, but not Hellstormer's VPS hosting company.

For some reason I find it unlikely that a company would choose adspace for a product that is likely to go out of date in a few months.

I could understand coca cola or pepsi since they haven't changed their product in forever but Microsoft would gain far more from just marketing their brand instead of a product.

So specific contemporary products would just be stupid from that companys point of view.

I wonder how annoyed I'd really be if Í found something silly like "Hellstormers awesome plasmaguns and broadband service" or "Icevamps Coffeshop and internetcafe" ingame, or if I would just giggle at it and move on. Wouldn't it be something that is very easy to overlook?

PS: What does VPS stand for?

Edited by Gorlom

The windows phone was just off the top of my head - you could easily pick iphone/ipad/car model etc. Not that these companies would do it, just making a point.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing something out of context that was amusing, but judging from what I've read from Chris so far he doesn't want to stray out of character in the game world (maybe this is something he finds cool enough to let go of that for a bit, who knows). In the end it is his call. He didn't even want fun custom pilot callsigns next to the plane names. :)

Agreed on the pilot + decal thing being less appealing than soldier portrait, but compared to just the name (two portraits left now?) it is also quite a bit more work on the games/art side of things (I guess there would be standard NATO/WARSAW decals, a few Xenonauts ones, and then the custom ones in game?). It'd be a consolation prize to be sure. Given the $150 prize $175 seemed reasonable?

The idea to interject names randomly into things that basically always will be displayed and seen by all is quite good, but.. could be selling out a bit too much. Like the research names thing. It doesn't really fit with how the research is presented right now. OH! How about at $500 or maybe $1000 you get your own civilian. A full body screenshot being turned into a skin for a civillian, and maybe even if that one dies, if you go check their body, it'll have your name. Or first name, in case you get killed lots of times. :P

Hey Chris, would you happen to know if anybody from Finland has donated to get their nationality in game? I don't myself have money to donate that much.

I confess!

Honestly, thats probably the reason why 200 tier is so popular. I mean, its only one with nationality in game, right?

Not quite. Every backer who pledges a minimum of 150 dollars will have their nationality included in the game.

It seems a theme with the draw to the higher tiers is customization. Pilots, random events, billboards, portraits, names etc..

If one tier is a name existing portrait, another tier is name and custom portrait, how about a third level where you can hard code the soldiers stats. This isn't a game break/or uber soldier idea... just allowing the person to choose what their soldiers starting stats would be; perhaps from a list of options. ie. I have a tendency to hit what I shoot at, I'd like my guy to be an obvious sniper pick and not the random dude running aroud doing medkits.

Also, I support the idea of no more custom portraits, part of the draw is the 'limited pool' of portraits. Having 1 out of 1000 custom portraits would dilute the experience.

I really want a t-shirt, but really also want my name in the game. I have done the $100 tier, but really cannot stretch to the $150. I'll already be in trouble when the boss finds out as it is.

Strictly speaking, I have alread done $130 with my premium pre-order, but I am just not interested in a hardback art book. It would be good to see some more options just over the $100 mark that can get you the poster or t-shirt or digital art book.

Oh, yeah.. I am not just whining for myself here, but going on the theory that if I am thinking it, then others will be too.