I've seen Xenonauts covered on dozens of forums and news outlets with RPS being the only major one to mention it more recently. Gamespy also had a KS catch up kind of thing where X-nauts was mentioned. There's also loads of alpha LPs on u-tube. It's just that there's only so much that can be done.

It's a non-mainstream game with no famous names behind it that is also somewhat overshadowed by its competitor (which is unavoidable no matter how different the two games are) and there's also the over saturation with KS projects. There's only so much water you can squeeze out from a wet stone.

But it's been a good run, all things considered, so there's no need to be pessimistic imo. And who knows, maybe that CompleteCookie guy will decide to help out a fellow Brit once more before the end.

I was devasted at fact we won't reaper hive, so I'll decided to settle for pilot portraits, but my bare minimum is getting all tilesets :P Maybe tile based NPC allies

So yeah, I feel need to be pessimistic even though game will be great without all stretch goals :P It just that with them game would be VERY uber awesome leet whatever xD

Unless a few gaming web sites write articles about Xenonauts, reaching all the Kickstarter goals will be difficult.

Not that it was a bad idea: funding will be at least double the requested amount.

I'm sure there are a lot of XCom players that still today do not know anything about Xenonauts...

What about another update on the Kickstarter site? Even if it doesn't say much, it means another email to 2000+ people and keeps the project in their mind, which may mean they mention it again. I always enjoy getting updates from the various project I've backed, even if it's just "hey, here's what we're working on for the next release" or maybe a previous of how suppression will work or what the job of the level designer is. Communication gets people thinking and that in turn gets them talking. Also, certain websites do news story updates when the Kickstarter updates, so sending out another update is another way to get covered again.

All around, I think it's fantastic that the Kickstarter's at $90k with nearly three weeks to go - and still bringing in consistent new pledges! To be at nearly 2x goal with the drive half done is great - another bump or two would only help things even more.

-Kilrathi

Edited by Kilrathi

What about another update on the Kickstarter site?

-Kilrathi

I agree with this, Chris should thank everyone for reaching 90K and clarify that indoor missions are not the same as base missions.

Maybe stretch goals should be changed (re-arranged in different order) to make the cheaper ones more easily reachable, since the tilesets push everything else back to too high a price tag IMO.

But that would mean the pricetag for the most wanted features such as tilesets gets pushed to high?

Do we need both tilesets? I think just one would be sufficient. Also the rest just won't ever be reached unless there is some major increase in pledging at the end. Goals might more easily be reached if people can see that theyre getting close. The tilesets are so expensive that it takes too long to reach.

That would also depend on how much flak it would generate to change the stretch goals.

It would make perfect sense to swap them around so the easier to accomplish ones are first but if they aren't the popular ones would that help at all?

Currently they are all at £25k steps.

It may look odd to some if they suddenly become cheaper.

If some of the later ones are brought to the front and dropped down to £5k or £10k steps (as an example) that could lead some of the more vocal people out there to start shouting about how the original way was just money grabbing, rather than rewards for if the support got to those stages.

It wouldn't be wise to re-order the stretch goals atm, it'd be bad pr after we had a poll and everything. Also, the financial distances between the goals are by no means accurate. Beyond the Military Bases every jump is by 25k. It's all a very general estimate because it's impossible to predict future expenses development may incur.

The stretch goals themselves aren't as expensive as they appear but not all of the money is being spent on them and there are too many unknowns. It's possible we'll get military bases even if the funding doesn't go beyond 140k but there's no way to know for sure yet and thus nothing can be promised.

Yeah, updates could be good.

You answer most asked questions about stretch goals

Or you could post pictures of aliens with gameplay/story info. I mean, seriously, those http://gaming.ngi.it/showthread.php?t=515164&page=6 things on that site(I don't know where they original come from) are cool. You could do update for caesans, sebilians and androns since they are first three aliens you know about(if you read about iceland incident)

Seriously, those alien + gameplay/story info things are cool, you could do them again for updates D: Or do you have some reason why that would be bad idea?

For people too lazy to check link, I copy pasted text:

"'The first extraterrestrial units encountered by NATO forces during the Iceland Incident were their robotic sentries. Though the final explosion destroyed all remnants of their presence, our scientists have managed to piece together the eyewitness accounts into a useable intelligence report.

The ‘Androns’, so named because they are believed to be either cyborg or fully robotic organisms, appear to act as the extraterrestrial sentries and heavy infantry. The survivors of the Iceland Incident report sighting multiple identical alien constructions keeping watch over the crash site, each humanoid in appearance but standing almost seven feet tall.

[3d render picture here]

These constructions proved deadly combatants. Possessing excellent visual range and unerring accuracy, they caused heavy losses before eventually being neutralised by fire from heavy weapons and support vehicles. Alarmingly, survivors report the armoured exoskeletons of the ‘Androns’ as virtually impervious to small arms fire, despite numerous direct hits being inflicted.

The main weakness of these aliens appears to be a lack of situational awareness. None of the sentries encountered showed any inclination to seek out cover during battle, even when under fire from Soviet T-54s parked beyond the effective range of the alien weaponry. Nor did they prove particularly mobile combatants, moving with considerably less agility than our own ground forces. This left them sitting ducks once our support vehicles were brought into play.

To sound a final note of concern, however – we are all aware that the alien forces possess powerful heavy weapons of their own. Given their remarkable strength, it seems highly probable that these constructions are capable of carrying these weapons into battle and, worse, using them without suffering the penalties an organic lifeform would for the same task. While our researchers have no substantive evidence to back up this claim, it is a chilling thought – and, if true, it would make the Androns a truly fearsome foe to face on the battlefield.'

[concept art picture here]

As with all of the aliens in Xenonauts, the Androns have been designed around a specific battlefield niche. They fill a similar niche to the Mutons in the original X-Com, being extremely tough combatants with excellent marksmanship skills, making them difficult to beat in a straight-up fight.

In order to counterbalance their abilities, they have been given probably the most severe of the penalties suffered by any alien race – they are unable to use cover. As the cover system will dominate the way you see the battlefield in most missions, suddenly facing a foe who completely ignores it will provide a challenging experience for the player. Simultaneously extremely vulnerable and walking tanks, battling the Androns will provide a unique tactical experience."

Am I only who who thinks that such info things would be perfect for kickstarter updates?

Edited by XenoMask

... plus, when the Kickstarter is over, you can still add in whatever cheaper stretch goals seem cool, or basically do with the money whatever you want. Buy an island made out of money, like Ron Gilbert, for example. But don't change it around now, rather have an update or something. Show us cool stuff! :)

well the best way to get money would be to wait until xcom:eu comes out. odds are that plenty of people won't be happy and will start looking for a game truer to the original xcom. just look at grim dawn and the demand to preorder. grim dawn finished shortly after diablo 3 came out, and there was a pretty big surge of income as a result of diablo 3 issues, both long term issues and short term issues. plaenty of people are stilll falling off of the diablo 3 band wagon and turning to grim dawn, which lacks preorder ability at the moment. had the timing all worked out, xenonauts would have had its kickstarter happen so that it caught all of the dissappointed fans of xcom:eu. throwing bad press about xcom:eu just turns away people, and thus it is all a timing issue.

What about this ideas .. ?

Some ideas for engine -

1f76a57272c77dbf585a3c75f4d60b89.jpeg 4f570ac659ab64770c74ed23b2c26965.jpeg 10f032fb587abb547ba3aef248c60fa0.jpeg 3f8cd3db04ac806c6d862784a846d8fb.jpeg 77af26a819ad9561ade1f92e46d1fef6.jpeg 2c4fbe697a41ddb9f1ddc1f29b22e152.jpeg a9453ed9a25c1ce9e879ae90eb9d531b.jpeg a534c475c3cb3eb0ef5f192dc3ddd8dd.jpeg

seeing the guy behind the wall are on the to do list, not sure about the other two. climbing and multitile overlay's are pretty good ideas. the multitile overlay is an easy way of making the maps look better, so i would imagine that chris would be interested if he isn't already. the climbing might be harder due to balance and animation bloat, though it would be a functional addition which is always nice.

I'm not entirely clear on what is in or not in with the cover system.

But one thing I always liked was the ability to see the "cones" of cover. Where holding down a key, will basically show your lines of fire and any intervening terrain pieces. So you know where you have shots and coverage and where you are exposed.

I think ladders and crouching behind cover against walls are things discussed and definitely should be implemented.

well the best way to get money would be to wait until xcom:eu comes out. odds are that plenty of people won't be happy and will start looking for a game truer to the original xcom. just look at grim dawn and the demand to preorder. grim dawn finished shortly after diablo 3 came out, and there was a pretty big surge of income as a result of diablo 3 issues, both long term issues and short term issues. plaenty of people are stilll falling off of the diablo 3 band wagon and turning to grim dawn, which lacks preorder ability at the moment. had the timing all worked out, xenonauts would have had its kickstarter happen so that it caught all of the dissappointed fans of xcom:eu. throwing bad press about xcom:eu just turns away people, and thus it is all a timing issue.

seeing the guy behind the wall are on the to do list, not sure about the other two. climbing and multitile overlay's are pretty good ideas. the multitile overlay is an easy way of making the maps look better, so i would imagine that chris would be interested if he isn't already. the climbing might be harder due to balance and animation bloat, though it would be a functional addition which is always nice.

Thanks !

:rolleyes: