We do already have idle animations animated, it's just a question of rendering them and seeing how practical they are. We'll get round to it eventually, although they're a "nice to have" rather than anything else.

We might do a big poll to see what goodies people want to put in at the $150k mark etc.

http://www.google.com/moderator, Wasteland 2 used this to gauge interest on various features.

More difficult with Xenonauts, but zombicide and OGRE boardgame ones had quite incremental stretch goals. Stuff like 50k, 75k, 100k. Seemed to keep the ball rolling much better than big distant ones though they have the advantage of having definite things they could easily add.

Chris -

A couple suggestions:

1. How about adding a couple lines right at the top of the main page saying "NEW STRETCH GOALS: $100k - add Linux and Mac support; $200k - we'll have the resources to add female soldiers to the game!". Most projects I've seen have really publicized their stretch goals like that, the reason being that way when new people come to the site wondering about pledging and see it's already "fully funded" rather than saying "oh, they're all set then" they'll realize there are still big reasons to pledge. (on a related note, I'd keep phrasing it as "having the resources to add female soldiers" to get across the point that they'd be good to have in there and it's just a matter of cost... but if you, the prospective pledger can help out, well then!"

2. Any sort of goal you can put out there at $75k? I know you're trying to maintain flexibility and not get stuck with going down the road of a popular but resource-intensive feature when there are others out there already, but the more carrots you can put in front of people, the better. If you can keep the gaps smaller than the $50k to get to the Linux port and the $100k more to female soldiers, great - I think $100k may seem like a lot all at once, but if people feel like they're working towards multiple small goals, it adds up. Maybe even something as basic as "when we hit $75k, all backers get an extra wallpaper" (or something similarly cheap/easy to distribute).

3. People like surveys, as you've been discussing in the comments. The Ogre project in particular has made that popular but others did, too. Maybe the $75k stretch goal could be "Now that we have some extra resources, we'll put up a survey to see which features people most want. Obviously, we'll need to make design choices that make the game as good as it can, but we want your input and will do our best to incorporate the features into the game."

All just suggestions, obviously, but just some brainstorms as to how to (a) make people aware of the stretch goals and (b) use them to keep donations coming by keeping the momentum and giving people something that seems manageable that they can see their new pledge/additional support helping move towards.

-Kilrathi

[edit: ninja'd by Zeromanicus. That's what I get for being my usual long-winded lawyerly self, lol. Great minds think alike, I guess!]

http://www.google.com/moderator, Wasteland 2 used this to gauge interest on various features.

More difficult with Xenonauts, but zombicide and OGRE boardgame ones had quite incremental stretch goals. Stuff like 50k, 75k, 100k. Seemed to keep the ball rolling much better than big distant ones though they have the advantage of having definite things they could easily add.

Have to agree it. 100k is 200% funded and 200k is 400% funded that is a lot! Extra goals should be at 85, 125, 160 and 200k maybe. Also the announced goals today did not really make me wanna put in more money than i already did when I pre ordered. I think it's important to feel excited about the stretch goals so most people will thing "Man that sounds really sweet, I guess I can afford another 5$" and not "Meh I don't use a mac and I don't care about females so i'm fine with this"

+1 to Kilrathi.

I think it's very important to keep momentum going by establishing smaller jump steps as a thermometer style bit of funding.

It seems like a heck of a jump to get female soldiers into the game. that's not to say I think this should be lower, just that there should be a few things in between to keep the fanbase geared towards unlocking the next piece of content.

With the $50k being in place so quickly, I'm sure you're giving this a lot of thought anyway. However, the quicker something is in place, the more advantage of the initial surge there will be.

and +1 to Kane. I don't use a Mac or Linux and it is a loooong way away for the next fund based feature.

Edited by thothkins

you would have thought anyone would have gone with an approach to highlight the benefits of both. But then, that doesn't attract the flames which fuels the popularity of some sites.

When I saw the headline, I thought it meant the original game, and was about to start my own "Oh no it isn't (yet)" post :-)

Could someone post the torrent link, and I'll seed.

How about Jagged Alliance 2 then? that's nice example of soldiers and mercs slightly swaying their guns, breathing and so on, while in turn based combat. So it doesn't look like a still picture.

While that sort of thing would be nice, what 'd really like to see is something like Silent Storm where everyone looks like they are in the middle of whatever they were doing once they've finished, which makes the battlefield look like a freeze frame of a real time battle rather than the artificial turn based it is. No idea how possible that would be though.

You don't pay until June 10th - it doesn't matter when you pledge.

I also pledged $30 - can I be bumped to the $50 reward tier?

I discussed this with some chaps earlier. I don't even pledge anything unless I KNOW it's in my account and can be paid for. It makes things easier for me. I realize this is foreign to most people's thinking but too bad.

The second part is that you'll have to email Chris your receipt from your pre-order and which kickstarter option you did so he can manually combine them after the KS is over.

Grats on the successful funding!!

Its pretty amazing that it hit in only a couple of days!

Idle animations are a great little bit of polish - not necessarily having them reload their gun, but maybe taking the clip out, checking how many bullets are left and putting the clip back in. etc...

I also agree that while the 100 & 200k stretch goals are good, there should be some levels in between to kind of keep the ball rolling and make people more interested in hitting them (if they aren't interested in the whole linux/mac + female characters).

**Edit:

Additionally, maybe you can provide a few screenshots, samples of the art book/other books to show it off and entice people to order at that tier

**Edit2:

Just reread the faq...guess the preview is in the works :P

Edited by Ghost1082

Objective completed :D you're 6k over your pledge. Does anyone knows if that means that they have whatever they need? The waiting is killing me !!

Means they have what they need to implement the new UI and other features and create a more polished game. However, there are probably about another 20things that could be added based on how well it goes. I believe Chris was conservative with his launch, with the hope he might exceed expectations.