Well I shot an email off to Rob Zacny who does work with the "Three Moves Ahead" podcast, writes independently, and has a column in PCGamer each month. Normally this mentions are more along the lines of "Unity of Command" or "Panzer General" type wargames - pretty hardcore wargaming at that! None-the-less it can't hurt to let people know right? :D

preview/frontpage view is what you see on kickstarter without clicking into xenonaut project page. for example if you search for xenonauts on kick starter, the search result page displays the preview in a small box with abbreviated description. right now the short description says "A blend of turn-based ground combat and strategic command, Xenonauts puts you in charge of defending the world from alien ".
That sounds like what you would want in the description. I don't think saying it has a free demo would be more appealing then a description of what it really is.

the FAQ i'm referring to is under "I’m interested in having my portrait done as a soldier in the game. What are the restrictions?"

Could you be more precise and explain why that particular sentance or phrase is sexist? (hmm seems Chris has already added a bit about sprites)

Maybe a driver for the "Hunter" too?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1085[/ATTACH]

Another interesting idea, I think the issue would be that to do something like this and pilots risks not having enough artwork. You would probably need to have 50+ portraits to avoid repetition.

This would certainly make me use the Hunters a bit more prudently, knowing that there was someone inside. Good idea.

I know what you mean, atm im not too fussed to watch it explode.

If you did hunter portraits, maybe they could also receive medals for distinguished service, like the troops will/we hope.

So would driver of hunter die when hunter is damaged but not destroyed or only if vehicle is blown up?

If driver dies simply from hunter getting damaged but not wreckage getting blowed up, it would give you reason to not sacrifice hunter and then just save wreckage so you can repair it :P

There's been several European sites picking it up actually. There are links in this very thread.

yes i am aware of the European coverage (through google. i cannot read German/French/Czech etc so i don't even know what they were talking about). however kickstarter is inherently a US focused crowd sourcing site. it would help more if the US media picks it up.

That sounds like what you would want in the description. I don't think saying it has a free demo would be more appealing then a description of what it really is.

my point being, "alpha build available" is only three words. it does not take much away from that description. it seems to me that there is more than enough room in that snippet view to fit those three words in.

Could you be more precise and explain why that particular sentance or phrase is sexist? (hmm seems Chris has already added a bit about sprites)

yep Chris already got it fixed.

btw how do kickstarter backers link the pledge with forum accounts?

btw how do kickstarter backers link the pledge with forum accounts?
Do you mean link with preorder or with forum account?

If you have already preordered you link your preorder to your kickstarter pledge by emailing Chris about it. It's a manual process.

If you are only a kickstarter pledger you will have to wait untill the project ends before you can link the kickstarter pledge to anything (since that is when you acctually pay for anything, up untill then you have only promised to pay but can at anypoint withdraw your pledge)

yes i am aware of the European coverage (through google. i cannot read German/French/Czech etc so i don't even know what they were talking about). however kickstarter is inherently a US focused crowd sourcing site. it would help more if the US media picks it up.

Google didn't offer to translate the pages for you? You need a better browser. Like Chrome. ;)

Just saw Dan Stapleton (of gamespy and formerly PC Gamer) tweet about the drive, so that's good U.S. coverage, and I saw someone from Gamers with Jobs (are they Canadian or U.S.?) say "they shoulda asked for a shit ton more". I suppose there are worse problems to have, especially since the $50k is a minimum not a maximum. Hopefully, it'll hit the $50k this evening and keep on climbing!

Okay, I put down my money as well... Again. This is a god damn horrible month for me, with both Carmageddon and Xenonauts launching...

Consider this an another +1 for the added diversity of female Xenonauts from me ;-)

Having typed in "xenonauts kickstarter" into google, I discovered that: 1) There is a lot of critical approval for Xenonauts. Journalists are giving it the thumbs up on all the sites I clicked on (one journo described how he "wants to take it home and do indescribeable things to it". 2) On the forums I clicked on (about four pages worth), discussion tends to run to:- "Xenonauts" "What's that?" "An x-com clone." "And that's a bad thing?" "Nope."

Just saw Dan Stapleton (of gamespy and formerly PC Gamer) tweet about the drive, so that's good U.S. coverage, and I saw someone from Gamers with Jobs (are they Canadian or U.S.?) say "they shoulda asked for a shit ton more". I suppose there are worse problems to have, especially since the $50k is a minimum not a maximum. Hopefully, it'll hit the $50k this evening and keep on climbing!

It's almost midnight here, so I can't say the same, damn. :P

I've got some Alenium in my freezer so no worries there. :)

The angle thing is more complex - Need to compensate for rotation around the sun causing the amount of daylight on a specific point of the Earth's surface to change over a year, plus a differing amount of sun at the poles vs the equator, etc...

Hmmmm - Tricky!

glad he was OK with the alerium powered anti-gravity alien power sources :-)

Just angle the day/night and we're fine!

He probably follows the "any significantly advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic" thing. Which I agree upon. Besides, a LOT of stuff we think is science fiction would be possible if we had a small, lightweight, near inexhaustible massive source of energy.

Yeah, the daylight is not THAT clear cut. Since the game starts in June, the northern hemisphere would never have darkness for the beginning of the game. (Septemberish.) Ever gotten a sunburn at 3am? It's pretty cool. Except for the pain. :cool:

Edited by IceVamp