I just don't think it looks very convincing.

I looks like something someone has drawn. I realise it IS something someone has drawn, but it's supposed to represent your base of operations, not a picture of your base of operations, if you see what I mean.

I hope some of it gets changes as 1) Images don't all rotate stretch properly.

2) Some images are lower quality than others.

3) Even though its top down, certain tiles don't look like the intended. Most noticeably with defences

I agree, the base art doesn't look convincing. Another suggestion to improve it could be to change the camera angle. Rather than looking straight down at the base in complete 2D. Offset the view so that you are looking down at a 45 degree angle. That will add some depth to the walls and structures and make it look pretty cool. You could even show it with people walking around and doing some work. Bring the base to LIFE!

I agree, the base art doesn't look convincing. Another suggestion to improve it could be to change the camera angle. Rather than looking straight down at the base in complete 2D. Offset the view so that you are looking down at a 45 degree angle. That will add some depth to the walls and structures and make it look pretty cool. You could even show it with people walking around and doing some work. Bring the base to LIFE!

I guess that would require re-doing the whole thing... I'm not sure the time and money needed are justified. Of course, it would be nice-to-have, but I don't see it happening.

I reckon it would be nice to have but I would say that it should definitely take a back seat to a lot of other things. It's more polish than making the game good. But who doesn't like a bit of polish? (This is a rhetorical question (That means you thothkins))

But who doesn't like a bit of polish? (This is a rhetorical question (That means you thothkins))

was that polish or Polish? could be two completely different conversations :-)

The stretchy parts of the art could be tweaked, but it's not the only part of the game that this applies to.

I just think it looks weak is all. The command centre especially, it's all blurry!!

This has originated from me playing TFTD a few days ago. I compared the base art in that to the base art in Xenonauts and I honestly thought the base art was better in TFTD. It looks like a base, it doesn't look like someone has drawn it, although I'm sure someone has.

SO what I'm driving at is that if Microprose in 1994 were able to do that, Goldhawk in 2012 (although it is an indie studio it has the benefit of 18 years more advanced technology) should be able to come up with something if not better, at least on par. AND just to clarify further I don't mean copy, I really like the style Xenonauts is in, I just think the base art could look better.

The animated base is going too far, it's too much work for essentially a very small part of the game, and is sort of blatant copying of Firaxis.

I haven't really thought about it as it does the job. The command centre is a bit blurry though. Nice to know there are improvements, especially if they have the same style as that new science screen and workshop that was put in the kickstarter vid. It was pure sex tbh.