Considering my initial interest in this game I've been very quiet on the forum.....although considering that the goldhawk website has been blocked at my workplace not entirely surprising.

Anyway, to the point of my thread, what are people's thoughts on Total Conversions....perhaps somewhat limited given the nature of the Xenonauts game, but there is potential for other ideas using the base xenonauts engine. Perhaps an invasion by the hordes of Chaos with a kind of magi-tech theme for research options...or you could be defending the earth against to Goa-uld (sp?) from Stargate....or perhaps have a post-nuclear world?

Technically, if someone came up and made whole new map tiles, 2D art, sprites, etc., it'd be possible but I really don't think we'll be seeing any TCs for Xenonauts, it's just too much and the game mechanics aren't all that moddable so one would have to work around a lot of restrictions. I don't see anyone going through it all. But you never know I suppose.

Edit: Ninja'd by Chris.

Edited by Jean-Luc

GH doesn't need to release its engine. The OP is basically talking about large scale modding and using famous IPs in modding is usually allowed since mods are non-profit.

Yes, I missunderstood the concept of TC. When I realized that I deleted my post :P

Nah, I decided to leave it there incase anyone was as confused about TC as I am ... or was? There's an immenent timeparadox lurking around here so I didnt know which temporal form to be used!!! :P

Edited by Gorlom

The sprite system we use means it would be a massive pain in the ass, I'm afraid. But it could be done.

Possibly if you could find the sprites somewhere else it could be possible. Also another way is with community effort getting a lot of people working on a small part of the mod would drastically reduce the time and effort required, though the co-ordination could be a challenge.

People do it for civ 4...if xenonauts is well received enoguh there may well be people who are willing to spend the time developing the heavy mods, rather than smaller tweaks....I'll admit though that I'm not one of those people, I just like to see what people can do with mods