My thoughts/suggestions on 10.1

I pre-ordered via Paypal due to RPS coverage, and have played some previous builds, but it's meatier now. Thoughts follow:

* Assault Rifles aren't really clicking with me (oddly, I'm usually a total rifle guy). I tend towards two groups of 2x shotgun and 1x sniper w/ a heavy seems likes a better starting balance. Subjective, yes.

* Add in a grenade launcher to replace the classic auto-cannon? Make the RPG a little more accurate / higher range and have the grenade launcher be a gamble in terms of results, but toss out 3 40mm grenades or something. I <3 autocannon!

* Weapon stats on the soldier screen are too small on a 1680x1050 monitor. Also burst details would be good.

* Female soldiers please (portrait/name/scream), I'm fine with no ground combat sprite changes until post-release. Soldiers in armor are soldiers in armor.

* I like the weight balance between weapons and armor, also infinite non-researched items. Being able to assign roles (sniper, assault, support, etc) and have pre-built kits of gear would be great to further streamline the process as people die. Having some kind of smart weight response (i.e. this is my core kit, if it doesn't overload stick in these optional items - extra ammo, grenades, etc) system would be great but perhaps a little too handholdy?

* Is reaction time bugged or do all enemies just have much better reactions than my soldiers? Even explicitly saving time units and clicking the appropriate shot, I can never seem to get a shot off. Had an enemy walk right past a soldiers face and fire on comrades. If it's not bugged I'd tweak it so reflexes are a bit more useful.

* I like the little events you have that show the world beyond radar range (or the effects of letting a UFO go), but on fastest speed they often blip by before I can read them. Perhaps a little tickbox to sticky them so they stack up? A longer lasting presence on the map, maybe have them fade over time. These will get repetitive over time in terms of content, but I like the impact they make.

* Tooltips/descriptions that make it clear alenium aircraft weapons don't need to be reloaded from crafted materials.

* Perhaps a little too late, but while I like the idea of getting information from but not being able to use alien tech directly, the plasma weapons look a little too unexotic - make them more organic/alien seeming, not just futuristic.

* Description of power core = alenium is good, power core around it is useless. Yet I couldn't just research alenium on its own before that. Odd.

* Posting some bug reports now.

Great work, and I do truly hope you find a solid niche and a boost in sales due to the Firaxis relaunch - people wondering what the real xcom was like and buying xenonauts because they can't go back to DOS graphics etc. :) The new tileset changes are very nice!

Going to restart now that I know of the save/load bug... wants progression.

Edited by erutan

* Add in a grenade launcher to replace the classic auto-cannon? Make the RPG a little more accurate / higher range and have the grenade launcher be a gamble in terms of results, but toss out 3 40mm grenades or something. I <3 autocannon!

Chris has on numerous occations said no to the grenade launcher suggestions. But I think there will eventually be a flamethrower?

* I like the weight balance between weapons and armor, also infinite non-researched items. Being able to assign roles (sniper, assault, support, etc) and have pre-built kits of gear would be great to further streamline the process as people die. Having some kind of smart weight response (i.e. this is my core kit, if it doesn't overload stick in these optional items - extra ammo, grenades, etc) system would be great but perhaps a little too handholdy?

To me it sounds a bit too handholdy yes =P. Afaik preset loadouts is planned but the smart variant you are suggesting sounds a bit too much.

* Perhaps a little too late, but while I like the idea of getting information from but not being able to use alien tech directly, the plasma weapons look a little too unexotic - make them more organic/alien seeming, not just futuristic.

If it is going to be organic how are we supposed to reverse engineer it into working human tech? I'm not sure I support that idea.

Perhaps a little too late, but while I like the idea of getting information from but not being able to use alien tech directly, the plasma weapons look a little too unexotic - make them more organic/alien seeming, not just futuristic.

Having a reason why you have to revrse engineer something is a fair point. If it looks hust like a gun and can be used just like a gun, then having your R&D department take it off you for months after you've just fired it seems silly.

The same applies to the alien ships. If there's nothing particualrly odd about the interface and it doesn't kill humans in it's operations then you would simply use the one there. You wouldn't rebuild every one of them from scratch for no reason.

Soldier: Hey! where are you going with that

Scientist: Oh, we have to reverse engineer it.

Soldier: But I just used it!

Scientist: But we can make it better!

Soldier: But can I use any one of of the others in the meantime? They all work.

Scientist: No, we're impounding them all for research

Soldier: But we know how they work! Surely you only need a few of them

Scientist: Look, we've got this sweet deal where we're flogging them off to idiots.

Soldier: Ah...

Having a reason why you have to revrse engineer something is a fair point. If it looks hust like a gun and can be used just like a gun, then having your R&D department take it off you for months after you've just fired it seems silly.

Soldier: Hey! where are you going with that

Scientist: Oh, we have to reverse engineer it.

Soldier: But I just used it!

Scientist: But we can make it better!

Soldier: But can I use any one of of the others in the meantime? They all work.

Scientist: No, we're impounding them all for research

Soldier: But we know how they work! Surely you only need a few of them

Scientist: Look, we've got this sweet deal where we're flogging them off to idiots.

Soldier: Ah...

Can you be absolutely sure that the aliens can't telepathically selfdestruct your gun in your hands, unless you study the weapon to make sure it doesn't have a self destruct mechanism?

The same applies to the alien ships. If there's nothing particualrly odd about the interface and it doesn't kill humans in it's operations then you would simply use the one there. You wouldn't rebuild every one of them from scratch for no reason.

Which language are you assuming this interface is in? Italian? Mandarin? Egyptian? Rigelian? Alpha centauri?

It is quite possible that the steeringrod, chair, gearbox and missile controls aren't designed in such a way a human can use them optimally.

Assuming they need some sort of telepathic control humans will have severe problems with operating them and reverse engineering the tech to make one more adapted to human measurements and standards are the only logical option.

Edited by Gorlom

I pre-ordered via Paypal due to RPS coverage, and have played some previous builds, but it's meatier now. Thoughts follow:

* Assault Rifles aren't really clicking with me (oddly, I'm usually a total rifle guy). I tend towards two groups of 2x shotgun and 1x sniper w/ a heavy seems likes a better starting balance. Subjective, yes.

I think maybe its the fact that they don't deal much damage and sound quite pitiful. But I still think they are a better all round weapon if your using them in groups of 2 or 3. Getting 6 shots off per turn can make a fair difference.

* Female soldiers please (portrait/name/scream), I'm fine with no ground combat sprite changes until post-release. Soldiers in armor are soldiers in armor.

There is a debate about this lurking somewhere on the forums. Throw your voice in.

* Is reaction time bugged or do all enemies just have much better reactions than my soldiers?
Its not been implemented yet so don't panic. Just try and make sure you end the turn with your guys in cover where possible and crouched to compensate.
* Tooltips/descriptions that make it clear alenium aircraft weapons don't need to be reloaded from crafted materials.
Known bug.

Welcome to the forums!

Can you be absolutely sure that the aliens can't telepathically selfdestruct your gun in your hands, unless you study the weapon to make sure it doesn't have a self destruct mechanism?

Well, in the actual game have the aliens ever shown the slightest sign of being able to self destruct any of their weapons on the battlescape?

No, they haven’t. So that’s the evidence of countless missions right there. There’s also no sign that they scout the battlescape using laser sighted flying unicorns either.

Which language are you assuming this interface is in? Italian? Mandarin? Egyptian? Rigelian? Alpha centauri?

It is quite possible that the steeringrod, chair, gearbox and missile controls aren't designed in such a way a human can use them optimally.

Assuming they need some sort of telepathic control humans will have severe problems with operating them and reverse engineering the tech to make one more adapted to human measurements and standards are the only logical option.

I completely agree here. That’s sort of my point, although I’d perhaps quibble with the word ‘optimally’.

Xenonauts have to reverse engineer the craft to be able to use them at all. If it was just a case of using them “optimally”, then you would simply put a few of them over to the R&D guys and use the blistering speeds and advanced weaponry of the rest as best you could in conjunction with your own technology.

Since, in the game, that doesn’t happen I felt it a safe bet that the craft simply can’t be operated by terrestrial forces.

That’s the reasoning I’d like to see applied to the weapons. Extending your comment that the craft are controlled through telepathic interfaces with the pilots to the weapons, then it makes sense that a xenonaut soldier wouldn’t be able to just pick one up and use it. There’s more than just pulling the trigger involved.

That would provide a consistent approach across all the alien technology. Instead, we can use some and can’t use others. So I think there’s a flaw there.

Pressing the trigger is a mechanical function. Assuming the weapons has some kind of telepathic aiming assist function the weapon wont be possible to point and shoot manually and expect to hit the same spot twice. The weapon is essentially useless for non telepathic beings since you can't compensate if the weapon doesnt fire in the same direction with every shot.

(The aliens telepathic abilities would also be occupied/focusing on aiming, not fireing the weapon)

Sure you will use it if you don't have any other option but you won't be using it as a primary weapon.

I reckon the alien weapons can't be used by Xenonauts because they a sources of intense radiation. Using the weapon even for an hour is the equivalent of the life-time dose of radiation a normal operative would experience, therefore over the course of a mission it would be lethal. This is after the radiation that permeates through the device has blinded the operative who put the sights to his eyes in attempt to aim the darn thing.

They are re-manufactured using materials that shield the user from the brunt of the radiation.

I reckon the alien weapons can't be used by Xenonauts because they a sources of intense radiation. Using the weapon even for an hour is the equivalent of the life-time dose of radiation a normal operative would experience. In addition, the radiation that surrounds the device would almost blind any operative who put the sights to his eyes. They are re-manufactured using materials that shield the user from the brunt of the radiation. Luckily, most of the scientists have been aquisitioned from cold war labs!

re: female portraits, I did chime in, though I thought of one little wrinkle concerning regiments etc, they'd have to be from insurgent armies (or Israel) as most countries don't train females for frontline/combat duty.

re: AR - they're growing on me. I find if I'm diligent about kneeling they are quite useful midrange... I've settled on keeping them on the newbie soldiers that I don't care about as much, gives me a clear indicator of who to send into that crowded room first. ;) they're also more useful against the skinnies than the lizards.

re: grenade launcher, boo. objectively the game is probably better off without a autocannon (at least in the early stages) but it's a fond fond memory.

re: alenium missles - that makes more sense actually. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't so, so I'll enjoy the bug while it lasts (payback for the truly annoying bugs).

re: female portraits, I did chime in, though I thought of one little wrinkle concerning regiments etc, they'd have to be from insurgent armies (or Israel) as most countries don't train females for frontline/combat duty.

This really isn't an issue. While Xenonauts does have a semi-realistic vibe with its Cold War setting it doesn't quite go to such lengths. The only reason we don't already have women in the game (sprites and all) is lack of time/resources, not realism concerns.

Thanks for the comments. Most of the points have already been answered, although for the AR the major advantage over the shotgun or precision rifle is burst fire mode.

For the whole alien weapon thing, I've made them usuable because I want players to have access to some kind of lootable weapon if they find themselves completely out of ammo for their soldiers. It's a gameplay thing. I'm not going to rewrite the entire Xenopedia to fill in every small plot hole, as you'll always be able to find more of them if you look hard enough and I think we've done a fairly good job of keeping the story and universe generally believable so you'll have to turn a blind eye to the few instances where it's not possible without tying ourselves in knots.

I've never had burst hit more than one or two shots, even at fairly close range... so I'd rather take two shotgun blasts than one AR burst. I have warmed up to them as a newbie weapon though.

I see your point on the alien weapons gameplay wise, aesthetically it's subjective but I found them to not quite fit in with the look of the ships/etc (the bright red I guess?) though they have a nice kind of throwback pulp SF feel to them. Not a huge deal, just my impression.

re: the plot hole, you could say something how by observing the power core interact with / draw from the alenium cells you further understand how alenium works and can now research them proper. I did like your 'having to adapt their craft to our atmosphere' bit to make the progression of alien craft more believable. There is of course at some point things we will have to take on faith (the speed of base building, research, etc) as it is a videogame, but I'm bothered by little niggly story bits.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for putting together a team to make the game. :)

Hah I even forgot that the alien crafts were adapted to atmosphereic flight from existing ships. A human designed craft derrived from alien tech would be designed for atmospheric flight in the first place. It might as such have a few technical/strategical advantages over the adapted alien craft.

Oh also, some ability to merge/split groups of fighters while airborne is needed. Sometimes one is out and you want to have it meet up with another to take down a larger ship, but they just engage it independently.

re: airflight one can go "ok, these are super advanced beings and we're probably not the first planet they've tried this on / they should have researched this beforehand" but it works in the context of the game for me!

/notserious - it would be awesome to have a battleship do this in the first month of the game, atmospheric upgrades be damned!

Galactica_in_Atmosphere_%283%29.jpg

Edited by erutan

The Iceland Incident had one flying through the atmo then taken down by bursts of nuclear weapons.

I'm talking about just dropping their biggest ship on a major city as a "terror mission". ;)

(not worth implementing, it's just kind of a cool idea - fighter, scout, a few corvettes... then someone in orbit gets bored of waiting and boom).