OK 1st time i was able to play and get all the research done... EVER!.. and I did it by 1st week of August, due to scout now giving me a power source to play with.

Was able to manufacture 8 sets of wolf and equip my 9 jets with alenium missiles. Was just starting to produce scatter gun when I finally went to bed.

Scout fix was good because I had still not seen a corvette by mid august.

However, despite this being totally awesome, i did it without saving/loading... I was in fear every single mission of a wipe.

I also only had a single base because in the middle East- because I wanted to focus my initial development/

Have you isolated the save/load research bug or is it more major, because fixing it is going to be key to a good demo and it is I think the main problem.

Flash

The save problem is difficult because until the game is feature complete we dont know all the data that has to be saved. Its unlikely we'll have the save bug fixed up for the public build. Are you feeling the tension more without saving?

I must be getting used to the casualties as I didn't notice that this wasn't enabled :-)

I'd only been usign it when the build was pretty unstable. I haven't had a CTD for a little while now.

Would be a pain if there's any CTD issues in the battlescape, but otherwise...

My heart almost skips a beat every time I see reaction fire because its all the aliens seem to do. Stand and wait for you to expose yourself.

I could handle not saving in a mission and having to restart if i got hammered, but I just CTD on the corvette site and everything was wiped. Luckily I had saved having done enough research.

I also have 2 kids, a wife and a very mad job. Not being able to save means I have to find the time to restart each game to test out ideas, features etc.

On a side note-

There is also a recurring spawn issue with the scout, with power core. At least 1 alien always spawns in the rear with the core by the window and cannot get out.

I also have 2 kids, a wife and a very mad job. Not being able to save means I have to find the time to restart each game to test out ideas, features etc.

Same here. There are times I just pause the game and alt + tab out for a few hours until I have time to play more. Thankfully this has not yet crashed the game.

The save problem is difficult because until the game is feature complete we dont know all the data that has to be saved. Its unlikely we'll have the save bug fixed up for the public build. Are you feeling the tension more without saving?

Surely it's just a case of some flags not being saved (or loaded) correctly?

The game *does* log what research has been completed in the Xenopedia which I'm going to assume is saved as a different set of data, it just seems that when loading, whatever part of the system manages the tech-tree forgets to acknowledge some of previous research has been done (despite it showing up in the 'pedia).

I don't know how it's been coded, but if I was doing it, I'd have some sort of master log inside the game which both the research system AND the Xenopedia draw from/update when needed. Ie, ensuring that if it's in the 'pedia, it's logged as completed research in code.

I really think it's an issue with the game system ignoring previously done research after loading as you can quite happily complete a different branch just like you'd expect.

In some regards it's a shame this isn't an open source project, as I'd go code diving if it was.

Edited by Buzzles

It's just that it's more difficult to test everything. Today I was finally able to research plasma and laser weapons. I restarted from scratch on the latest build and played without saving. I hoped the game would not crash, because I do not have a lot of time.

From my previous work experiences I've learned that some bugs are not blocking by themselves, i.e. they are not essentialy game breaking, but are blocking for the software testing phase. They are either very annoying for testers or make testing much harder.

Of all the bugs I have encountered in Xenonauts, I'd categorize only the following 2 as testing headaches:

1) The broken research load bug.

2) The double weight bug on soldier after every ground combat mission.

Problem 1 made much harder for most of the pre-orderer to test the laser weapons. It is probable that some bugs are still in that part of the game.

Problem 2 is just annoying.

However today I was able to complete all the avalilable researches in the research tree (I hope/think) without a single crash. The game is becoming very stable... still not crash-free, but very stable.

If those bugs could be fixed, testing could be a bit easier.

Later I'll post a few new alleged bugs.

on way of circumventing the research save/load-bug would be to mod the game to not require the prequisits for laser and wolf armour, and then simply contition yourself to not research them untill you have researched the prequisits.

I meant for us testers so that we can test the laser and wolf armour. I didn't mean for Chris to use that solution. Maybe I phrased myself oddly.

Or do oyu mean something else gauddlike? I'm not sure I gt your point?

I was just pointing out that if you continually have to work round the research system to avoid one bug you don't know if there are other serious ones you are missing because of that.

Hopefully it will be fixed up sooner rather than later though.

Well I guess that's a matter of priority then. Besides as long as it is changed on an individual basis others will be testing for the other bugs. It can also be changed back and will be changed back after each update when desura verifies and changes your files back to the defaults... right?